PDA

View Full Version : Line up points

ackees
07-10-2007, 01:18 PM
How can I line up points without wielding them, or merging the points without actually merging them (no points deleted and the points not merged just put in the same 3D space)?
For example two squares where I want the connecting points to line up exactly without joining the points, or merging the points (to the same 3D) and then disconnecting them again.
Thanks in advance

jat
07-10-2007, 01:32 PM
one way you could this is to use the stretch tool - select both points and then stretch until you get them to meet up.......

titane357
07-10-2007, 01:35 PM
I use a lot snapset for aligning points.
http://thespread.ghostoutpost.com/_theoldspread/index.htm
I have Xsnap assigned to Left arrow, Ysnap to Down arrow,Zsnap to Right arrow.
When I want to align in 3 direction I select first point and then the other to align and push the tree arrows one after the other. :D

Dodgy
07-10-2007, 01:45 PM
The snap drag tool :) Comes with LW.

ackees
07-10-2007, 02:47 PM
Thanks all,
I was hoping there was an idiot button like 'align points'.

Sekhar
07-10-2007, 03:43 PM
Yeah, it's surprising there isn't a simple "align" command. Pretty close to this is to directly set the x/y/z values with the point info (shortcut "i") command:

(1) First get the x (or y or z as applicable) value for the point to which you want to align
(2) Select other points and directly set this value for them

Surrealist.
07-10-2007, 05:43 PM
Thanks all,
I was hoping there was an idiot button like 'align points'.

For a point by point basis, Snap Drag (Translate/More) as mentioned. But you can also align objects in two layers with the Aligner tool. (Translate/More)

Set Value (v) is an other great way to set something in 1D space. If you press the i key for the info panel you can right click (windows) and copy that point's info on one axis at a time. I use this a a lot along with the set value tool for certain situations where one or two values will do or if I want something to only line up along one of the three axes.

There are some snap functions in LWCAD if you have that as well. 1.5 came free up to a certain date with an upgrade to 9.0.

Silkrooster
07-10-2007, 06:53 PM
Also Select all the points you want to move including the point that is in the correct position. Now use the info tool. This tool not only tells you the x,y and z coordinates but allows you to change the position of the points.
My favorite is still the set value tool, but the info tool, set value, snap drag and even LWCAD are all great ways of aligning points.
Don't rule out the weld and weld average tools either, there is nothing saying that you can't unweld right after you welded them.
Silk

ackees
07-11-2007, 04:51 AM
I am using Snap Drag at the moment, it seems the most intuitive, but after about 100 saps it gets a little tiresome.
I guess a programmer would take about 30 mins to modify merge so that 10,000 points are selected with their partners, the parameters set, the whole thing done in seconds, all he needs to do is take off the merge part - a new tool.

Surrealist.
07-11-2007, 12:50 PM
There is also BG Conform (Transform/More) which will snap geometry points to background layer. It works with Polygon and Edge Selection. And since it works on proximity, placement is crucial.

LightFreeze
07-11-2007, 02:21 PM
wrote a wee script (http://www.triton.eclipse.co.uk/QAxisAlign.htm) a while ago which will automatically align the selected points parallel to the nearest orthoginal axis ie one touch alignment.

TheDAve
07-20-2007, 07:08 AM
I wrote a plugin to do this myself, but I've never bothered releasing it (as I've never really given it a proper test run).

It sounds like "setvalue plus" does the same thing, but if you have a problem with that PM me and I'll send you mine.

DAve