PDA

View Full Version : Multiple-monitor problem

Bill Gilkison
07-10-2007, 11:08 AM
I took the old VT3 into the tech for minor maintenance, and when it came back, the settings had been changed: the double-monitor feature no longer works. After 30 minutes on the phone with the same tech, we can't figure out why it won't revert.
(Windows XP/Nvidia 3D MX-440 series)
The taskbar and VT are only active in the primary monitor, while the secondary monitor just shows the Windows desktop.
Any thoughts or magical solutions out there?

billmi
07-10-2007, 11:36 AM
Right click on the desktop, and select properties. Click the Settings tab.

You should see a pair of numbered monitors in the window. Clicking on either, you should see a description of the monitors.

On the left there are two check boxes. These should be greyed out when you have the primary monitor selected. When you select the secondary monitor they should become available. Do you have "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor" checked?

Bill Gilkison
07-10-2007, 12:12 PM
Thanks, Billmi.
I went over all that with the tech over the phone. All checked and re-checked and still no luck.

SBowie
07-10-2007, 12:20 PM
As Bill is suggesting, you are describing what happened in earlier VT versions when you were in DualView mode (rather than Horizontal Span.)

If you're SURE the right hand monitor is disabled (ghosted) in the intiial Windows "Display Properties" panel's Settings tab, check in the "Advanced" driver panel to make sure you're in 'span' mode.

Bill Gilkison
07-10-2007, 01:07 PM
SBowie-
Thanks for joining in.
No 'span' is mentioned in the Windows Settings Advanced prompts...only 'extend'.
'Span' is mentioned in the Nvidia settings and those have been activated.
In the Windows Settings Tab, the second monitor is ghosted until selected and the "Extend my desktop onto this monitor" prompt is checked.

The Windows desktop is visible on both monitors. The taskbar is visible only on the left monitor. Entering VT, VT is only visible on the left while the right retains the Windows desktop.

All Windows and Nvidia diagnostics say that everything is working.

billmi
07-10-2007, 01:14 PM
The Windows desktop is visible on both monitors.

Good...

The taskbar is visible only on the left monitor.

Also good. That means your primary monitor is the one on the left (it's important to configure that way, or you can run into some drag-lock issues when you try to drag a window to the left of the monitor boundary in VT.)

I take it you can drag normal windows onto both monitors with no problems, yes?

Entering VT, VT is only visible on the left while the right retains the Windows desktop.

Not so good.

When you launch VT[4], and select preferences from the drop-down menu, the first item on the list is "Desktop Monitor." Do you have that set to "Span All Monitors?"

Bill Gilkison
07-10-2007, 01:30 PM
Billmi-
Dragging on both monitors is no problem.
I have VT3, not VT4. VT3 has no drop-down menu options (that I can see) that mentions extending or spanning monitors.

billmi
07-10-2007, 01:57 PM
Ah, somehow the VT[3] didn't register.

I haven't set up 3 for multi-monitor, but if memory serves, it didn't support have true multi-monitor support.

Pop into Windows Display properties by right clicking the desktop - and the settings tab, then click the advanced button. Then you should get the plug and play monitor and NVidia window. From there you can select a tab for the chipset you have - it will be in the same row with the Color Management tab. The tab labeled for the chipset will have nView display options.

The nView display mode is probably set to Dualview. Try setting that to Horixontal Span.

That should make the two displays appear to Windows and VT[3] as if they were a single display, and VT[3] should then fill it. You should also see your Windows taskbar on both displays.

SBowie
07-10-2007, 02:13 PM
That's a good description of what I've been saying - but it really does sound as though this is already set for horizontal span.

I remember a few years back running into a clients VT[3] system that I simply could NOT get to span both monitors - no matter what I tried. Eventually I booted in Safe mode, removed the nVidia driver, rebooted, and re-installed it.

Pete Draves
07-10-2007, 02:35 PM
The machine is running in the WINDOWS dual mode.
(hint the botton select bar is only onone monitor
You have to set up the machine in the Nvidia dual mode.

See the dealer that set it up wrong.

Pete

SBowie
07-10-2007, 02:39 PM
The machine is running in the WINDOWS dual mode.
I agree, Pete - but if the second monitor is showing up ghosted in the Display Properties>Settings panel as described, and spanning is selected in the nVidia panel, it's stuck in this mode for some reason.

Bill Gilkison
07-10-2007, 02:42 PM
Thanks to both of you for your help. This may go back to the techie who uh..."fixed it."
Billmi-
On the Plug N Play window for Nvidia-there's no Chipset tab or label. They are:General/GEForce4 MX440/Adapter/Monitor/Device Selection/Color Mgmt./ Color Correction.
The best description for chipset info is under the GEForce4 MX440 tab, but no span or DualView adjustments are there. I've been through these menus several times....ugh!

Pete Draves
07-10-2007, 02:52 PM
if you look at the size of the windows setup you will see that it is 2x the monitor width.
This must be returned to the size of one monitor.
Then check to see if the nvidia driver can be setup to wok horiz span.
If not the nvidia driver may not have even been installed because the "tech" thought all was cool but in reality "borked"
The answer then is to install the correct driver for the nvidia card.
Steve, we will need yu here to give us the correct driver as the computer that contains that info here is being up graded.
Pete

billmi
07-10-2007, 03:01 PM
Bill,
Are you getting this little pop-up menu to the side (see attached image?) If not, it sounds like some of the driver software is missing.

Bill Gilkison
07-10-2007, 03:10 PM
Billmi-
Negative. Something's definitely missing here, then.

billmi
07-10-2007, 03:15 PM
Then I think Pete has given a pretty clear, description of the problem using concise technical terms:

the nvidia driver may not have even been installed because the "tech" thought all was cool but in reality "borked"

Bill Gilkison
07-10-2007, 03:17 PM
"Borked", huh?
I'll remember that one.
Thanks to all!

Pete Draves
07-10-2007, 03:34 PM
The phrase "borked" came from John Perkins.

He may have gotten it from the swedish cook on the old mupit show.
first you put the chicky in a pot Ja sure Youbecha, bork bork bork.

Pete

Bill Gilkison
07-11-2007, 12:36 PM
As I remember, the swedish chef had several hens to assist him. You'd think it would have been "cluck, cluck, cluck" instead of "bork, bork, bork".

Got the newer drivers from Nvidia and we're up and running on two monitors!
Thanks again to all.

SBowie
07-11-2007, 12:43 PM
Yayy! Thanks for the update. :)

Pete Draves
07-11-2007, 12:54 PM
I know all about that, I had a swedish wife!!
Pete