PDA

View Full Version : Okay to Unplug Monitor -Yes No?

Glendalough
07-10-2007, 05:43 AM
One of my monitors has just blown and it will be a few days before replaced. This is causing alot of trouble.

Was wondering if it is okay to unplug monitor while computer is running, that is after it is turned off (the monitor). Or would this damage something?

Have done this a few times in the past with no ill effect, but now that it needs to be done it suddenly occurs to me that it may be bad. If I do it while running Windows it makes a sort of panicked no-no chime.

Would be very thankful for any insight or experience in this.

Johnny
07-10-2007, 05:49 AM
my advice would be to never unplug a monitor while computer's running, even if you did so in the past without your rig going up in smoke.

mice, keyboards and drives might be hot-swappable, but I don't believe that monitors are.

I mean, are you in THAT much of a hurry that you can't power down gracefully, THEN disconnect a monitor cable??

that's my insight.

J

Glendalough
07-10-2007, 06:50 AM
Thanks for the warning!

The problem is one computer is just rendering and thus tied up. I've tried using remote desktop but Lightwave doesn't respond properly. For some reason it won't render hypervoxels, in the scene I'm doing in this situation.

ingo
07-10-2007, 07:30 AM
Well i would say as long as the monitor is off its no problem, the graphiccard should make no problems with that. How about getting a monitor switcher ?
My situation is that i only have one monitor for two Macs, but since the monitor has two connections you simply can switch from one Mac to another without shutting it down.

Glendalough
07-10-2007, 08:08 AM
Well i would say as long as the monitor is off its no problem, the graphiccard should make no problems with that. How about getting a monitor switcher ?
My situation is that i only have one monitor for two Macs, but since the monitor has two connections you simply can switch from one Mac to another without shutting it down.

Thanks for the reply.

This is just the kind that I had and am waiting to be replaced!

I would think also if the monitor is off, there would be no problem. Just can't work out how Windows knows when I unplug it.

I've heard of the power of Windows!

eblu
07-10-2007, 08:29 AM
actually. unless you are a qualified technician, don't EVER unplug a monitor from a computer while the computer is running.

the plug is live, and all you really need to short circuit it is to disconnect it in such a way that not all of the contacts come off at the exact same time.

this is bad because the computer is not protected in the least from short circuits coming from that plug (or ANY plug that is not HOT swappable). you basically have a direct shock to the processor and all of the sensitive stuff that distinguishes your computer from a heavy expensive unwieldy paperweight.

now having said that, it won't happen every time, it won't happen alot, it may Never happen, but by unplugging a monitor from a live computer you are asking for it. so if you have the money to waste, by all means.

Glendalough
07-10-2007, 08:40 AM
Wow, that's pretty strong!

Thanks for the warning!

I have a friend who has stacks of old Macintosh monitors, about 10-12 years old. Could borrow one of these, but wonder would it work with a modern Mac? That is, without software?

Dan_The_Man
07-10-2007, 09:04 AM
I'm going against the grain here but I don't know of any issue that's ever happened to anyone unplugging a monitor while the computer is on. Both are grounded just fine on the power side and just about every other pin is a ground itself on the pin outs. I can say with years of experience that I've done this very same thing hundreds of times on all sorts of different computers and monitors, if not a thousand times and never once ran into a problem.

Furthermore, anything I can find online concerning the issue claims there's also no danger, and there's nothing to it, just unplug it. I would only recommend you make sure the power to the monitor is plugged in, but you probably won't ever be in a circumstance where it isn't.

Glendalough
07-10-2007, 09:25 AM
I'm going against the grain here but I don't know of any issue that's ever happened to anyone unplugging a monitor while the computer is on. Both are grounded just fine on the power side and just about every other pin is a ground itself on the pin outs. I can say with years of experience that I've done this very same thing hundreds of times on all sorts of different computers and monitors, if not a thousand times and never once ran into a problem.

Furthermore, anything I can find online concerning the issue claims there's also no danger, and there's nothing to it, just unplug it. I would only recommend you make sure the power to the monitor is plugged in, but you probably won't ever be in a circumstance where it isn't.

Thanks alot for the reply. This saves a long drive. Think I'll risk it on the Mac Mini, but will skip trying in on the G5, even if the risk is very remote!

Glendalough
07-10-2007, 09:32 AM
... I would only recommend you make sure the power to the monitor is plugged in, but you probably won't ever be in a circumstance where it isn't.

OH Just saw this now-

Surely you mean the power to the monitor is NOT plugged in???

Anyway, the switch(es) on the monitor are all definitely turned off?

Glendalough
07-10-2007, 10:22 AM
Oh Duh...I get it, monitor off but still plugged in for the ground.

Phil
07-10-2007, 10:51 AM
You can unplug the monitor just fine. There won't be an issue. The pins cannot conceivably go anywhere in the process. If the monitor is switched off, and the mains switch is also off, there's no risk.

Be brave ;)