PDA

View Full Version : Digital to Analog converter for SX-84/VT4

Slapdash
07-09-2007, 04:54 PM
Hi All,

I have several different digital sources running at various resolutions that I need to bring in to the VT4 as an available source for live switching. I'm mixing laptops running resolutions from 1024x768 up to 1920x1080, xbox360, ps3, wii, and dvd ntsc output on a hdmi switcher.

The signal will arrive next to the sx-84 via an extension cable as digital over cat5/6 cable. From there I need to convert to component video.

Does anyone have suggestions for good hdmi/dvi to component adapters? How does the VT4 deal with the various resolutions being fed to it over this type of connection. Any other tips prior to picking up equipment to do this.

I'm leaning towards boxes from Gefen so interested in what works for others. Thanks.

rbartlett
07-09-2007, 05:22 PM
No experience to share, sorry.

Maybe you appreciate this already but for any source higher than Standard Def (SD) that could itself originate as HDMI, you'll need a "DAC" and a scaler. Gefen list both.

iVGA software and an ethernet hook-up would work for PC (Windows) and Mac (OS) sources. iVGA would have the benefit of allowing VT to switch above SD resolution, with the VT itself driving the output rather than the VT card.

Consoles would need the DAC when they have such an output and/or a scaler depending on whether they are in SD or HD mode. Xbox 360 might need an ADC before your HDMI switcher, going in via DVI->HDMI physical adaptation would seem viable.

Pete Draves
07-09-2007, 06:41 PM
I have used quite a few converters and geffen seems to be the best.

Anything connected to VT must be standard def and scalers would be required.

Goos luck
Pete

Slapdash
08-05-2007, 04:55 PM
Thank you RBartlett and Pete for your comments.

I'm still working to figure this one out and I have a few more questions. I realize that the VT4 with the SX-84 can only work with/switch 480i sources max. As I stated, I have several 1080p sources that I'm sending down the line to the SX-84 component input.

I plan to use a black box like the HDFury or VisionFC4 to strip away the HDCP protection from these newer HD resolutions coming down via HDMI. At that point I have raw 1080p over component and need to downscale it to 480i for use with the VT.

I don't see any external stand alone downscalers from Gefen and was wondering if you or anyone out there has a suggestion for what to use to crush the signal down to something the VT4 can work with.

Slapdash
08-06-2007, 12:08 PM
So far, I've only found two products that handle downconversion of HD to SD. The AJA HD10MD3 which accepts HD in via SDI, but converts and outputs SD via SDI, component or composite. The Miranda XVP-811i-XCDC which takes HD in via SDI and outputs at 480i via SDI only.

The AJA run's just south of 2k and the Miranda up around 5k I believe. Ouch!

Is there a better way? Is my approach to the problem wrong?

Slapdash
08-13-2007, 11:25 AM
A quick update for anyone who might run into this problem in the future and one last plea for insight. Then I'll let this float down to the bottom of the databases.

I found one product that accepts HD in over component and outputs SD in 480i over component. It's an older offering from AJA, the AJA HD10M (pic attached). AJA marketed this for field camera monitoring and doesn't claim that the output is broadcast quality. It does have auto locking, but a letter to AJA support confirmed it's only monitoring quality and not broadcast. I wonder what exactly that means?

If anyone has used one of these I'd be interested to receive feedback about how good the quality is. The list on this is $600 and is the cheapest way to go from all the other options I've seen. If you know of another component to component video downconverter please post it here. Thanks.