PDA

View Full Version : Is Flay anti-Mac?

Beamtracer
06-25-2003, 12:13 AM
This is the front page on Flay.com today

Beamtracer
06-25-2003, 12:24 AM
Now who was it who flamed the Flay website yesterday with nasty emails? Was it you Mac evangelists? Hmmm?

First of all, Flay.com provides a very useful website to Lightwave users. I don't want to take that away from them. But is it true that Flay is unfairly avoiding reports on Mac issues, or is it the nasty flamers who cruely and wrongfully sent horrible emails to the nice folk at Flay?

Was Flay right not to do a story about the G5 because Apple had fudged the benchmarks?

jin choung
06-25-2003, 12:36 AM
what are you asking beamtracer?

all the explanation that is needed is present in his statement right in that screen capture. he didn't post g5 details because it seemed apple cooked the books. and again, he says that he wasn't going to mention anything at all until he was inundated with mail asking 'why aren't you mentioning the new omnipotent g5?!'

is there really a need for speculation?

jin

js33
06-25-2003, 12:52 AM
It smelled like a snow-job and spreading misinformation simply isn't what Flay.com is about.

I think what Flay meant to say was "It smelled like a Steve-Job..."

Cheers,
JS

riki
06-25-2003, 04:35 AM
Chris has his reasons for posting those comments. I don't necessarily agree with them but then I didn't expect him to mention the G5 release. He's not bias against Mac but he certianly not pro Apple or pro Mac Users.

It peeves me that we can't make comments about Mac Ports in the plugins section. But in the end it's his site he can do as he pleases.

rick_r
06-25-2003, 06:36 AM
I briefly met the Chris at the Siggraph Lightwave party last year in San Antonio and he didn't strike me as someone who would concern himself with the pc/mac highschoolish squawbles. He was all about 3D and Lightwave and struck me as an all around nice guy.

Johnny
06-25-2003, 06:57 AM
I think the Flay guy's position is clear, but what isn't clear to me is this whole business of benchmarking.

every 'expert' has a different interpretation of what the benchmarks mean, and it leaves me both confused and p1ssed-off because the testers all KNOW dang well what it is that we WANT to know: how fast does the box get real jobs done!? not in megaherz, pipeline lenth, die size or flops. How long does it take to complete a task? This is what matters, and what the benchmarking seems to obfuscate.

I for one am completely done with wanting to hear techie mumbo-jumbo...

let's see two comparably-equipped boxes do the same job. whichever one is finishes first is the winner of that round.

maybe the Flay.com owner's suspicion is indicative of the whole BS of benchmarking as it now exists....

sort of like in the .com days when you had companies that never earned a cent, yet were worth billions! it was a screwy way to measure value, and we all look at that time with disbelief and disgust.

c'mon, guys! you KNOW what we need to see! SHOW that!

J

Red_Oddity
06-25-2003, 07:04 AM
Why should he even post it on Flay, i mean, it doesn't have much to do with Lightwave...

In total, Flay has only mentioned something processor/computer specific, twice...wow, twice...(both Pentium 4, once because of a bug on other platforms besides a P4, and once to compare Pentiums with AMD processors.)
He never mentioned the Opteron, so why would he mention the G5?

And besides, no one could have missed the release and the BS around the G5 because it was practically on every other site on the web...

riki
06-25-2003, 07:04 AM
It's not a Mac/PC squabble. It's Chris's reaction to some of the nasty feedback that he's had over a period of time, from mac users.

I can understand that. Because it's easy to forget that he's doing a great job on his own steam.

We all know it can get pretty ugly. Mods at CG Talk will confirm that. It only takes a few to spoil things for the rest of us.

Red_Oddity
06-25-2003, 07:13 AM
Also, it also would have been mentioned (i bet) when mr. Jobs would have shown a 64bit Lightwave running on the presentation, but they didn't...

As for Mac users flaming Chris...give the guy a break...i mean, this really is just 'killing the messenger', when plugin writers or hardware vendors don't release anything it doesn't necessarily mean Chris is anti-Mac...

paintboy
06-25-2003, 07:31 AM
claiming that flay is anti mac is more ridiculous than apple's "cooked" test results on the g5. as the hours go by, it is becoming more and more apparent that while the g5 may be a step in the right direction for apple, the test provide less than "side by side"comparison.Pretty lop-sided testing.
park the blind bias...use your brain.

Beamtracer
06-25-2003, 07:37 AM
No, Flay had no obligation to mention the G5. Once again, it's a useful service that Flay provides to the Lightwave community.

What sparked my attention was the message on the front page of Flay that he was copping lots of flak, and that the G5 would not be covered for the reason of shonky benchmarks.

It kind of assumes that the G5 would have ranked more attention if the benchmarks were reliable (what benchmarks are reliable?). Not that there aren't other things (apart from speed) that make the G5 a new era of computing.

Anyway, not much Mac news gets up on Flay, but I like the site and go there often to search for plug-ins and look at the job list.

riki
06-25-2003, 07:49 AM
Okay so tomorrow when we drop into Flay to get the latest news, and some freebies, say hi to Chris, thank him for his site and let him know that not all mac users are wankers :)

mlinde
06-25-2003, 09:59 AM
I think Flay is a great site, and the poll is useless because there isn't an option for "Flay is platform agnostic", which is my take (I've been going there for about 4 years now, so I feel I can say that with a bit of conviction).

jdavidbakr
06-25-2003, 10:58 AM
Exactly, Flay's audience is the 3D community and Lightwave, and the announcement of the G5 has nothing to do with 3D or Lightwave. We are interested in it in this forum because we are Mac users; but this isn't an announcment of a new and improved LW, this is an announcment of a new computer. While it's cool, it does not have a place on the Flay website.

Lamont
06-25-2003, 12:56 PM
Chris hasn't posted anything on any machine PC or Mac, that is pro or against.

This was/is a stupid thread. Why was it even brouhgt up? He says clear as day why he didn't post it.

The nasty feed back is from plug-in requests I am sure... people always bitchin' 'bout that. If they took their heads out their butts they'd see "Send platform requests to the author...".

JDaniel
06-25-2003, 12:58 PM
FLAY rulez! If you don't like what he writes, don't go to the site.
He has provided free resources for years.
If you got beef w/ Chris, you got beef w/ me, Jack D. :mad: