PDA

View Full Version : regester beta

Stingslang
07-09-2007, 07:13 AM
how does one regester a beta product they have downloaded?

LAV
07-09-2007, 07:46 AM
http://register.newtek.com
Then you can choose to set your profile...
LW9.x beta cycle let you to pick up serials to make the software working properly.
Hope this can help you

Stingslang
07-09-2007, 04:40 PM
ok now how do i install the program and get the lisence key to work?

Stingslang
07-09-2007, 09:21 PM
please someone help me I really need help with this

Chilton
07-09-2007, 09:30 PM
Hi,

If you've registered your full copy of v9.x, and downloaded the Universal Binary beta, open the DMG that you downloaded from your download page on register.newtek.com, make a new folder in Applications and drag the contents of the DMG into it. Then launch your apps from your new folder.

(Yeah, I know, it would be much simpler if the DMG contained a folder instead of the individual files. We'll have that remedied soon.)

-Chilton

Phil
07-10-2007, 01:46 AM
Or you could just drag the mounted disk into the Applications folder. It creates a folder with the same name as the disk.

Personally, I really wish there was a way to make OS X augment the contents of an existing folder on drag and drop of a new folder with the same name, rather than replacing the entire old folder with the contents of the new. Data loss is never funny.

Stingslang
07-10-2007, 05:58 AM
that's great thanks. now how to i get it to run not in discovery mode?

LAV
07-10-2007, 09:52 AM
I suppose the Mac version acts as Win one. You have to register your product using the link I sent you with my first post. Then login and go to 'my downloads' to get the last release. Go to 'my products' to get serial number (copy and paste it in the HD:\Directory where you installed LW\programs\Licence.key - opening it with a text editor and saving it without changing the name). It should work! :)

Stingslang
07-10-2007, 04:49 PM
where would I find this programs folder? I need a little more help. with the mac version when you download ligthwave the applications are just there.

LAV
07-11-2007, 06:45 AM
Sorry. Don't know the mac structure of HD. From C64 and Amiga to Win I missed the apple time...
Anyway I think even Mac has the find function :D Search for licence.key and edit it as suggested.
Otherwise you can click over the Layout>Utilities>Plugins>additional>Makelicence

balton
07-11-2007, 07:48 PM
I am having the same problem. Where do I put the license? The email from Newtek says to use the "help" menu on the left and choose "Enter License", but it's not there, and I can't find the license.key file to edit. Also there is no "Make License" in the Additional dropdown under utilities in my Mac version.

LAV
07-12-2007, 01:54 AM
mmmhhh... I hope an experienced mac user can help you...

In Win you could follow a tricky way:
1) layout>edit>edit menu layout
2) click 'search' on the right side of the box and input 'makelicense' + return
3) when 'makelicense' found (in the left file box) click 'find' (on the right)

This can help you to know where is that command.
If you have 'searched' but not 'found' you can 'add' the command where you like (first select on the right the good place where you want and then 'add').

balton
07-12-2007, 03:37 AM
I tried to use the "Configure Menus" dialog on the Mac, but the search for "Makelicense" yielded no result.

Chilton
07-12-2007, 08:01 AM
Hi Balton,

Call or contact our tech support department, and they'll help you out.

-Chilton

archijam
07-12-2007, 08:26 AM
Hi Balton,

Call or contact our tech support department, and they'll help you out.

-Chilton

He's right, it's not so easy.

Can't a mac developer just post the process here? Or do we all have to contact Newtek?

I have a licence.key from the normal 9.2, but it doesn't recognise it, even when placed int he same directory ...

j.

Largemedium
07-14-2007, 05:33 PM
He's right, it's not so easy.

Can't a mac developer just post the process here? Or do we all have to contact Newtek?

I have a licence.key from the normal 9.2, but it doesn't recognise it, even when placed int he same directory ...

j.

Yeah, I have to agree! I downloaded the beta and was looking forward to playing with it over the weekend. The instructions for the Mac install doesn't make sense. Least to me it doesn't! I especially like the part (in the email) where is says:

4) Find the Lightwave cmdline, hold control and click
5) In the cmdline type -c

What!? Uh, who writes this stuff? First off, there is no Lightwave cmdline in the download, and if there was, holding control click would only give you a contextural menu. How is that helpful?

I also tried reading the FAQ link that was included at the bottom of the email but it doesn't work. I got a page not found error.

I know we aren't supposed to be discussing problem outside of the beta forum, but I haven't been able to access that either. Where else can we go to find out how to install the beta if we can't get into the beta forum?

Seriously, it would be great if someone at Newtek that is involved in the beta... and knows how to write simple instructions, could post detailed instructions for how to install on the Mac, that would be awesome. Howabout you Chilton?

balton
07-15-2007, 06:19 AM
I already contacted tech support, and was told that if there was no "Programs" directory, that my installation was unsuccessful. I don't think there is a "Programs" directory with a mac installation.

RonGC
07-15-2007, 11:11 AM
Hi guys, when you open the lightwave zip file you download from registration there should be a plugins folder, a programs folder and 3 frameworks folders.

The license key will be the one in the registration page "my downloads" on the Newtek site.

If there is no license key in your programs folder then you will need to make one. With your favorite text editor enter the Key number you obtained from from the Newtek website. Save this as an ascii text file to the programs folder, nothing else will work, this must be named license.key

This is the procedure for license keys in Lw9+.

I am assuming that you are running Mac 32bit not UB open beta.

The problem with the Open Beta is that we are really not allowed to talk about this stuff outside the Open Beta forum due to NDA, but if you have joined the OB then get your butt into that forum where we can talk about it openly, LOL.

Ron

Stingslang
07-15-2007, 07:18 PM
I joined the open beta program and they still haven't let me acess the forum!

MysteryMonkey
07-15-2007, 09:21 PM
I joined the open beta program and they still haven't let me acess the forum!

I heard that the guy that registers users into the beta site hasn't been able to work for a few days. Hopefully someone there will pickup the slack until he returns . . . Having someone manually enter the name of users permitted into the beta area does seem like a rather inefficent and primitive way to handle that task . . . I'm no genius but couldn't a few lines of well written code automate that process so it would be almost instantious once a person qualified as a beta user? . . . Just wondering :hey:

Chilton
07-15-2007, 09:25 PM
I suspect all of this will be remedied this week.

-Chilton

RonGC
07-15-2007, 11:13 PM
When i joined the OB it took a few days for my access to the forum to appear. I know it sucks, when your anxious to get in there. Hope that you get everything working.

Ron

Largemedium
07-17-2007, 01:21 PM
When i joined the OB it took a few days for my access to the forum to appear. I know it sucks, when your anxious to get in there. Hope that you get everything working.

Ron

Where does access to the forum appear? I joined over the weekend and here it is Tuesday already and no access yet. Maybe I'm looking for it in the wrong place?

RonGC
07-17-2007, 08:55 PM
The open beta forum should show up at the bottom of the page in the main newtek forums. It took a while for mine to show up, could try clearing your browser cache, it might be there and the browser is not seeing it, worth a shot.

If not, patience is the other option. It seems like the more you want it the longer it takes.

Ron