PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone else needed this feature?

G3D
07-08-2007, 07:46 PM
Rotating anything in Layout sucks. No mater how careful I am, making any rotation adjustments is very hit and miss and wastes too much time. Whether its a bone, camera, object ... whatever, the item flails around and getting it right takes too long. It would be great if there was a way to control a rotation with either a slider or manipulators similar to C4D. (See attached image) Anyone have any luck? Maybe there are some scripts already written?

theo
07-08-2007, 08:03 PM
Rotating anything in Layout sucks. No mater how careful I am, making any rotation adjustments is very hit and miss and wastes too much time. Whether its a bone, camera, object ... whatever, the item flails around and getting it right takes too long. It would be great if there was a way to control a rotation with either a slider or manipulators similar to C4D. (See attached image) Anyone have any luck? Maybe there are some scripts already written?

Have you experimented with the Sliders Custom Object?

G3D
07-08-2007, 08:09 PM
Sliders can't be applied to bones, afaik.

Also, at the end of the slider, i.e., the right most limit of the slider, there are two triangles that look kind of like what C4D has, but they appear to have no function. In C4D you can click on the upper or lower triangle and depending on your settings rotate 1/10th of a degree, move 1/10th of a unit and so on. Would be very useful to have that kind of functionality in LW.

Yeah Sliders are cute, but not quite what I'm looking for. :-/

Extent
07-08-2007, 08:15 PM
I thought the little arrows were for next-key/previous-key for that slider. Maybe I'm confusing it w/ morph mixer.

you can have the sliders drive anything by making them drive a hidden morph, then using an expression to drive the bone based on the morph value. It's a round about way, but you only have to set up your rig once right? (heh)

Or for that matter you could skip sliders altogether and just use the morph mixer directly.

G3D
07-08-2007, 08:30 PM
I need a simple way to move, rotate, scale any item at will at any time for any reason. Its not just for rigging, but of course it could help there too. I think I'm going to end up writing a script for this. But having to do that just to get the functionality many other 3d apps have right off the shelf is really, really dumb.

I've written motion lscripts that completely take over the animation of an item before, so its worth a shot. The difference in this case is that I merely want to position, rotate, etc. using a slider or incremental clicker.

theo
07-08-2007, 09:20 PM
Sliders can't be applied to bones, afaik.

Yes they can.

SplineGod
07-08-2007, 09:20 PM
You can control bones or anything that has channels that show up in the graph editor. You can use LWs sliders, Relativitys or create your own using nulls etc. There are also some 3rd party plugins that function as such like joytrol, maestro etc.

Mr Maze
07-08-2007, 09:41 PM
A lot of times I have 2 issues with moving or rotating.

1) I use a Wacom tablet, and if the options for layout or modeler are not set for tablet, movements are impossible. If you use a tablet, hit d, and make sure this is set.

2) I find that in camera, light, or perspective view, moving or rotating are extremely touchy and not very smooth. I suggest having at least a dual-port display mode, and set one of your viewports set to top, bottom, side - they are MUCH more accurate for moving stuff. Kinda a lame workaround if you like to move things in a perspective view, but it gets things done.

Also, I have been primarily using 9.2; I can't remember if 9.0 was like this but will take a look tomorrow at work (once I am on the clock, of course!).

G3D
07-08-2007, 10:18 PM
Yes they can.

If you wanted to apply a slider to an object, it would be under geometry in the objects panel. Since bones don't have that option, I tried adding it other ways. I looked in the obvious places in the Graph Editor and don't see a way to apply a slider directly to a bone. Sure, an expression might be possible, but I'm looking for something simple.

I do realize that you can parent a bone to a null that has a slider applied and rotate it that way. I was looking for something that could directly alter the bones' rotation, etc. I'm not really talking about animating here, just a more convenient way of rotating the bones. Opening up the graph editor to do that isn't what I had in mind.

Anyway thanks for your tips on Maestro and the other plugins, I'll check them out. Haven't used relativity yet.

I think I should make a mock up video of what I want to do to make it clearer.

GregMalick
07-09-2007, 02:40 AM
Well personally I would like to see the values in the 3 Position/Rotation/Scale boxes in the lower left main are have scrollable values. Maybe the LMB could be used over the lock buttons to scroll the value. Or little widgets would be fine.

Or even better would be to use the middle scroll button when hovering over the value box. That way when you are in the main area the MMB changes from Position/Rotation/Scale and when over one of the values the MMB would increase/decrease the value.

That would be a small workflow improvement.

faulknermano
07-09-2007, 02:45 AM
a sampler for you, george. just made this up.. very scratch, so tell me what you want in it and how you want to use it. or if you know lscript, feel free to modify it as you wish.

@warnings 0
@script master
b0; b1;
c1..3; minValue; maxValue; multiplier;
flags
{
return(LAYOUT);
}
create
{
minValue = -1000;
maxValue = 1000;
multiplier = 1.0;

}

process: event, command
{

}

options
{
reqbegin("Rotation Slider Helper");
b0 = ctlnumber("Min Value",minValue);
b1 = ctlnumber("Max Value",maxValue);
b2 = ctlnumber("Multiplier",multiplier);
c1 = ctlminislider("Rotation H",0,minValue,maxValue);
c2 = ctlminislider("Rotation P",0,minValue,maxValue);
c3 = ctlminislider("Rotation B",0,minValue,maxValue);
ctlrefresh(c1,"ref");
ctlrefresh(b0,"ref_val");
ctlrefresh(b1,"ref_val");

reqopen();

}
ref_val: val
{
minValue = getvalue(b0);
maxValue = getvalue(b1);
reqabort();
options();
}
ref: val
{
myValX = getvalue(c1);
myValY = getvalue(c2);
myValZ = getvalue(c3);
Rotation(myValX*multiplier,myValY*multiplier,myVal Z*multiplier);

}

edit: greg: i agree... it would be convenient enough to do it. personally i do not like using sliders in layout because there's an "overhead" of having to switch to the sliderstool just to get to it. i prefer a nonmodal window. in addition, i dont like how the cursor disengages using the sliderstool. it behaves unlike the normal dialog windows. very disconcerting.

i think one good idea, borrowed somewhat from maya, is the ability to hold down a button which switches a particular channel to be mapped to the movement of the mouse. say you want to rotate heading, hold down the y key while moving the mouse left and right... etc etc.

faulknermano
07-09-2007, 02:53 AM
revision to code: (darn that 5 minute edit limit)

@warnings 0
@script master
b0; b1;
c1..3; minValue; maxValue; multiplier;
flags
{
return(LAYOUT);
}
create
{
minValue = -1000;
maxValue = 1000;
multiplier = 1.0;

}

process: event, command
{

}

options
{
reqbegin("Rotation Slider Helper");
b0 = ctlnumber("Min Value",minValue);
b1 = ctlnumber("Max Value",maxValue);
b2 = ctlnumber("Multiplier",multiplier);
c1 = ctlminislider("Rotation H",0,minValue,maxValue);
c2 = ctlminislider("Rotation P",0,minValue,maxValue);
c3 = ctlminislider("Rotation B",0,minValue,maxValue);
ctlrefresh(c1,"ref");
ctlrefresh(c2,"ref");
ctlrefresh(c3,"ref");
ctlrefresh(b0,"ref_val");
ctlrefresh(b1,"ref_val");

reqopen();

}
ref_val: val
{
minValue = getvalue(b0);
maxValue = getvalue(b1);
reqabort();
options();
}
ref: val
{
myValX = getvalue(c1);
myValY = getvalue(c2);
myValZ = getvalue(c3);
Rotation(myValX*multiplier,myValY*multiplier,myVal Z*multiplier);

}

theo
07-09-2007, 07:00 PM
If you wanted to apply a slider to an object, it would be under geometry in the objects panel. Since bones don't have that option, I tried adding it other ways. I looked in the obvious places in the Graph Editor and don't see a way to apply a slider directly to a bone. Sure, an expression might be possible, but I'm looking for something simple.

Quick example: Add null, attach bone(s), make bone(s) Active in the Bones menu, add Sliders Object to null, click on Null(1) in the Channels bin, scroll down, see bone(s), add bone(s) HPB Channels to Selected Channels Bin, hit Continue button... you can now use sliders with your active bones.

G3D
07-09-2007, 07:21 PM
Good script! I will likely do some mods to it later tonight, if thats ok.

G3D
07-09-2007, 07:53 PM
Quick example: Add null, attach bone(s), make bone(s) Active in the Bones menu, add Sliders Object to null, click on Null(1) in the Channels bin, scroll down, see bone(s), add bone(s) HPB Channels to Selected Channels Bin, hit Continue button... you can now use sliders with your active bones.

Cool. Will try that out later.

evenflcw
07-11-2007, 05:46 AM
Hmmm... if it is the "touchyness" of the handles in the viewport that bother you, did you try resizing the grid? This will affect how "touchy" the handles are, so you can make them more or less sensitive.