PDA

View Full Version : Fprime crashing Layout on Mac

rdxl9
07-08-2007, 07:05 PM
Hi,

I am so frustrated with Fprime. It makes lightwave so unstable. I can work for hours without Fprime and not crash Lightwave, but a soon as I do a preview with Fprime, I am guaranteed a crash within a few minutes. I basically don't use it anymore when I need to get stuff done. I miss it, and miss the money I spent on buying it.

My Machine specs:
2 x 3 GHz Dual Core Intel Xeon
16 GB RAM
ATI Radeon x1900 XT
Problem with all versions of Lightwave. 9, 9.2 beta etc.

Worely.com' advice is to mess with the driver settings, they got that from me a few years ago on my old machine, where turning off or disabling FSAA seemed to keep it from crashing. On this machine, there are no settings or utilities for enabling or disabling anything on the graphics card, so I can't even try that.

Worley says that all their other users seem to not have any problems with Fprime, and my question is, what's so special about my mac(s) that I am the only on to have this issue.

If any one has recommendations as to how this can be fixed, or is also frustrated with Fprime, I would love to know.

With thanks in advance,
Scott

Chilton
07-08-2007, 08:04 PM
Hi Scott,

Please send me any of your crash reports, along with your machine specs.

[email protected]

I can't guarantee this will lead to an immediate fix, but it will certainly help track down the problem.

Thank you,
-Chilton

Burndog
07-09-2007, 10:16 AM
You're not the only one... I get constant crashed on my Intel Powerbook as well as my G5 desktop Mac. I run version 3 of F-prime.

3dworks
07-09-2007, 10:59 AM
scott,

you're not alone - same here and i already posted a few times here in the forums about this. fprime 2 was a already quite unstable with big projects, but at least, treating it with care it worked OK. fprime 3 imo is too unstable for prime time, i'm having so much troubles that i'm using it less and less. i'm running it exclusively on a PPC G5 quad, with an ATI X1900 card (the special version for G5 powermacs). i'm not even using any node features with it, btw, and the troubles are there on 9.0, 9.2 and 9.2 beta...

i already had mail exchange with worley, but they did send me the usual driver suggestions (there is only one driver for this card) and general tips like they did already for fprime 2.x (like setting opengl to a lower level for reducing the memory footprint, which helps a bit), but all in all, this didn't help much.

chilton, should i send my crash reports to you as well?

welcome to the club, anyway...

cheers

markus

Chilton
07-09-2007, 11:17 AM
Hi,

Yes, *Mac specific* crash logs can be sent to me,

[email protected]

-Chilton

rdxl9
07-09-2007, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the replies. At least I am not the only one having these issues, not that I am happy others having the same problems, but I know it's not something I am doing.

About these crash reports: How and where do you get those from?

Thanks
Scott

NickLambert
07-09-2007, 04:06 PM

[your HD]/Users/[you]/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/

In here you will see: Layout.crash.log

Hope that helps.

3dworks
07-09-2007, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the replies. At least I am not the only one having these issues, not that I am happy others having the same problems, but I know it's not something I am doing.

Thanks
Scott

and have a look into console.app too, sometimes the console.log contains interesting additional information about what your apps are doing! from there you also can access ALL crash reports on your mac...

markus

Burndog
07-09-2007, 06:29 PM
I also get a popup when the crash occurs and it shows the log prior to sending to Apple. You should be able to cut and paste from this log if it is the same as found in the other areas mentioned.

sean hargreaves
07-09-2007, 06:45 PM
Guys, I'm working at an effects company in L.A., and FPrime constantly crashes their machines. But they still use it. I use it now. I just save everything immediately before rendering. But of course, someone needs to get to the bottom of the problem, because its totally common.

Whit
07-11-2007, 06:47 PM
I have a problem with Layout crashing after using FPrime, usually when adjusting a texture after using FPrime.

It was suggested to me that I can avoid the problem if I switch from viewport "Double Vertical" to viewport "Single" before making texture adjustments.

YMMV

--Whit

sean hargreaves
07-12-2007, 02:02 PM
Whit, sorry, it did'nt work for me.

Anyway, I loaded up a complex scene and tried to render it in FPrime and it just would'nt take, kept trying but going black. Every retry was a crash. So I went back into modeller and flattened the model. Went back to Layout and it rendered fine. But it took all night to even get to 450. I talked to the guys at the fx company I work at and they say its just unstable, especially if you have complex scenes and you're fiddling around with the settings constantly, because its intense for the computer to constantly sort out the render.

Bottom line> Unstable and delicate like a Dandilion, so be careful and gentle :D

v1u1ant
07-16-2007, 04:22 AM
So would it be advisable to stay away from purchasing fprime untill these issues are sorted out or would one buy it anyway in the hope that a patch or whatever will fix the crahes and that (as i dont work on heavily complex scenes) the crashes shouldnt effect my workflow anymore than the native rendererer is slow?

sean hargreaves
07-16-2007, 10:25 AM
Its tough to say. Its basically a roll of the dice everytime you render. What I find is that if you've used LW a lot then you should know your basic settings, so you should'nt have to fiddle too much in realtime FPrime. Its just all the calculating that has to happen in realtime that I think can be a problem. Andyjaggy, another forum user, swears by FPrime, so I think maybe you can direct your questions to him, maybe he has some tricks and tips.

Scazzino
07-16-2007, 11:08 AM
Until it can finally be fixed, you can work around it a bit by remembering to pause the interactive FPrime window before making most surface/object changes, then resetting and resuming FPrime after the changes. This prevents most of the interactive crashes... not ideal of course, but better than crashing every 5 minutes... ;)

3dworks
07-16-2007, 03:45 PM
yeah, with 2.x this did stop the crash in these situations, but unfortunately, with 3.x i' m having crashes even simply moving the camera (with open fprime window) around. i sent a crsh log to chilton last week, maybe his insights will make the LW - fprime connection on macs more solid, who knows.

the fprime render process is quite stable and never crashed here, it's the preview function which causes most of the troubles.

i'm still hoping for a fix this summer - and i guess worley is working hard on it... of course, any news would be about this would be really appreciated, it's really disappointing that there is absolutely no communication on this.

markus

kfinla
07-16-2007, 04:50 PM
Ya it sadly feels to me like Worley has kind of abandoned the mac community on this.. alot of ppl have found Fprime 3 breaks LW 9.2.. makes things unusable.

jeremyhardin
07-17-2007, 04:55 AM
Ya it sadly feels to me like Worley has kind of abandoned the mac community on this.. alot of ppl have found Fprime 3 breaks LW 9.2.. makes things unusable.

I think it's safe to say that this is NOT the case. My understanding of the matter is that these things take time. And the more Fprime pushes what LW was intended to do, the more long-standing bugs come up. As I understand it, these are being resolved as best they can as they surface and resurface. But such things take time, and buying a new product is the risk you take. Worley could have just not released the Mac version until all LW's bugs were worked out, but then the mac community would definitely have been screaming abandonment. I think he's chosen the lesser of two evils, personally.

kfinla
07-17-2007, 05:07 AM
I know abandoned is a strong word, so I was hesitant in using it. I'm just an unsatisfied customer. To use Fprime i have to go back to 8.5. I can totally empathize with Worley wanting things to be locked down and thats why there are no UB versions of his plugs etc probably for awhile. But paying $200 or whatever it was for the upgrade to get something that makes LW unusably unstable. I really expected a fix by now based on the unwaivering PPC 9.2 code we have now and which does not work with Frpime previewer 3 or 3.01. I guess thats where thta statment comes from. I expected such a huge bug to have been dealt with by now.

v1u1ant
07-17-2007, 07:32 AM
Ah no UB version?

thats me out from buying FPrime then untill that UB version comes about.

back to viper.......:screwy: