PDA

View Full Version : Changing Grid size from 1m to 50km reveals Bug in LW 9.X?

RegGFX
07-08-2007, 10:58 AM
Ok... let me see if i can explain this without sounding like i'm loosing my mind... or perhaps i'm missing a new tab or additional feature to keep from getting Lost in Layout views.

In the old LW 7.5 when you're starting a new scene you could change the grid size form 1m to 10km or even 50km while the main view was in perspective mode and all you would have to do is modify your camera and light positions. You could still see the grid though

WELL i've discovered something that seems buggy in 9.x
Do the following
1)Start a new scene(the default scene set to 1m)
2)Check to make sure the main view is set to perspective
3)Go to edit>display options
NOW HERE IS THE WEIRD PART
4)Set the grid size to 50km
BANG!
5) PERSPECTIVE VIEW (and any other views you may have open such as left or right side) GOES AWAY or is BLANK GRAY and is almost impossible to locate.
any objects you have such as camera or a sphere seem to become distorted, partially visible... NOT EVEN FIT ALL brings the objects and grid back.

Now here is where i got curious...
I fired up my old LW 7.5 and followed the same steps and the above mentioned DID NOT HAPPEN... in other words i could change the grid size to large or smaller and the grid and camera objects would not disappear or become lost or distorted.

As a final test i opened up a LW 7.5 scene (set to 1m grid) in to LW 9.X and i proceeded to change the grid size here from 1m to 50km and WOW! Everything was ok... no distortion.... perspective view did not disappear all i had to do is the normal repositioning.

So in conclusion... is this a GRID ISSUE with 9.x or am i missing an added feature or setting i need to check to avoid becoming LOST in Space when i change a new scene in 9.x from 1m to 10km or 50km.

Please let me know so i don't feel like i'm loosing my mind.:help:

Roly
07-08-2007, 12:54 PM
Under display properties you have to play with the fixed near clip distance.
Turn it off or try a distance of at least 100m. Hope that helps.

RegGFX
07-08-2007, 01:50 PM
D'OH!!!

Thats it!...

Geees.. how embarrasing.

I just went ahead and deselected the "Fixed Near Clip Distance"
It seems that in my LW 7_5 i was use to having certain preferences and never had to revisit them..

But in my Rush to understand LW 9.x, i didn't even think about that.

This seemed to fix my problems for now...

Stuff like that happens when you're in a RUSH.

THANKS for the reply...

JamesCurtis
07-08-2007, 04:24 PM
I really think that Fixed Near Vlip Distance should be OFF by default instead of ON as it is. It would save a lot of confusion like you had! BTW, it's tripped me up too!!

evolross
08-14-2007, 03:08 PM
I had just experienced the same issue. I built an object that's several kilometers in size and whenever I would simply load it in Layout 9.2, my perspective and camera views would go completely blank, but all orthogonal views worked fine. Turning off the Fixed Near Clip Distance corrected the problem. Thank you. BTW: Lightwave tech support had no idea on this one.

:bowdown:

cagey5
08-14-2007, 03:20 PM
I really think that Fixed Near Vlip Distance should be OFF by default instead of ON as it is. It would save a lot of confusion like you had! BTW, it's tripped me up too!!

Quoted for agreement. What is the benefit of fixed clip distance anyhow? Why would you want to switch it on?

tribbles
08-14-2007, 04:30 PM
Quoted for agreement. What is the benefit of fixed clip distance anyhow? Why would you want to switch it on?

So you can see behind something that is close to the camera/display port (for object placement)?

cagey5
08-14-2007, 05:04 PM
Ah, ok. Never had use for it.

tribbles
08-15-2007, 02:23 AM
I'm just guessing - I've not used it for that, but I have come across clip distance before, and that was the only use I could think for it at the time :)

meshpig
08-15-2007, 03:05 AM
... for when you have a really big model, like a landscape or cityscape like 10 km wide at 1m. At that res you won't be able to see a small part thereof without scaling.

m