PDA

View Full Version : playback / pop-thru

sergiox
07-08-2007, 01:42 AM
Hello,

I'd like to know if I can playback in Layout a pose to pose animation as mentioned by Keith Lango. He uses this aproach in Maya.
I mean, do a playback conserving the time rate and displaying only the poses as stills, not animated.

You can see what I'm saying here:

http://www.keithlango.com/tutorials/old/popThru/popThru.html

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Bytehawk
07-08-2007, 05:32 AM
you can do that with motionmixer

SplineGod
07-08-2007, 08:03 AM
Try this:
http://www.giantscreamingrobotmonkeys.com/monkeyjam/

sergiox
07-08-2007, 11:45 AM
I'll try both tips.
Thank Bytehawk. Thanks Larry.

Extent
07-08-2007, 04:55 PM
Kieth isn't using a different playback mode, he's using stepped keys. Just change your default incoming curve to stepped and set out your extremes. Playback and rendering is exactly the same as always. Then when you're ready to move to the next step select all your keys and change the incoming curve to linear, and spline respectively. It works exactly the same as in Maya

sergiox
07-08-2007, 06:06 PM
Thanks Extent,

Your answer is just what I was looking for. :D
At the same time, I liked Monkey Jam especially because you can show more clearly the ilusion of movement based in still images to children.

I supose there are enough animators using the pose to pose technique. So, a button STEPPED in the playback and/or in Render Globals could be a great thing. I know it's not dificult to program something like that. So, I'll be waiting...

Thanks again to all of you.

Nice people for a nice day. :thumbsup:

Extent
07-08-2007, 07:14 PM
Well if there were a stepped button it would definitely not go in the playback or RG panel, it's a little different than say quickshade render mode in usage. A global stepped mode would break some of the usefulness. I often find myself putting different portions of a character in spline while other bits are in stepped. I even work with single keys or groups of keys set to stepped while the rest of the same control is on spline, especially to help set moving holds.

It's not so much a mode that you flip on and off as a choice you make per key. It's better IMO to work all the different key interp modes into your personal toolbox so you can call on them as needed (I love using flat splines, no LW equiv. for those). You'll get a lot more mileage out of them that way than if you just blindly apply one type to all keys.

Wasn't there some kind of keyframeable time setting that was added a while back, supposed to make bullet time stuff simpler? Maybe you could use that to freeze time in between your extremes at rendertime, if you had to.

sergiox
07-08-2007, 07:44 PM
Well if there were a stepped button it would definitely not go in the playback or RG panel, it's a little different than say quickshade render mode in usage. A global stepped mode would break some of the usefulness. I often find myself putting different portions of a character in spline while other bits are in stepped. I even work with single keys or groups of keys set to stepped while the rest of the same control is on spline, especially to help set moving holds.

I still think that there could exist a button that temporarily makes the playback stepped. I understand what you say, and I'll use your tip, but... A global stepped mode would break some of the usefulness if you are not doing the first step as described in the tutorial. For me, this step is very useful. And I'd like to have a simple button for a global steped playback mode.

I liked you signature. Thanks. :thumbsup:

Extent
07-08-2007, 08:09 PM
Hmm, I see. At least in LW you can switch between Hermite-Linear-Stepped and TCB-Linear-Stepped without loosing your curve. As far as I can tell in Maya every time you change interp modes on a key it destroys all of the edit history for that keys handles.

I'll bet you could whip up an Lscript real quick that would globally set the interp mode for all keys. You couldn't stick it in a render panel, but you could add it anywhere to your button bar.

sergiox
07-08-2007, 08:21 PM
Yep. I'll try to develop the LScript tomorrow. I've developed a pair of scripts in the past but I'm a bit oxidized with those tasks. Let's see...

Best wishes. :)