PDA

View Full Version : It's Decreasing!

alifx
07-07-2007, 08:33 AM
Hi..

are the vfx houses that use lightwave still there or they disappeared or switched their pipeline to other softwares?

see how many movies LW used in.

I'll begin from 2002

31 films

25 films

22 films

18 films

10 films

3 FILMS !

1 FILM !!!

?

it's sad to see this
Lightwave is growing up and there should be more productions with it!

anyway Lightwave is still good for me because I make money with it.

and for many others also

:I_Love_Ne

AbnRanger
07-07-2007, 10:04 AM
That's odd. I would think that just between Eden FX and Zoic, and CafeFX alone, there would be shots for more than 3 movies where LW was used to some degree.

Where did you get your figures from?

hrgiger
07-07-2007, 11:59 AM
Maybe here? http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/projects/

AbnRanger
07-07-2007, 12:11 PM
Maybe here? http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/projects/
Whoa...that can't be good. Makes you wonder why Newtek would bother to post that.
Perhaps, if LW sees some drastic improvements in CA and Modeler (dynamics and Hypervoxels need some loving too) between now and the next full upgrade, then this trend will start to change.

zapper1998
07-07-2007, 12:21 PM
It's

defenatly, sad to here that, bummer ...............:alien:

Michael

hrgiger
07-07-2007, 12:25 PM
Perhaps like the Lightwave demo, it just takes Newtek a while to catch up. Maybe the list isn't complete yet.

Dodgy
07-07-2007, 03:07 PM
I think that list only gets filled when NT hear that LW was used in a particular production. Doesn't mean it's not being used, just that they haven't been told about it. Some of those films have only just come out, and some aren't out. Give it a year and you'll see the list grow :)

hrgiger
07-07-2007, 05:53 PM
I think that list only gets filled when NT hear that LW was used in a particular production. Doesn't mean it's not being used, just that they haven't been told about it. Some of those films have only just come out, and some aren't out. Give it a year and you'll see the list grow :)

That's kind of along the lines of what I was thinking as well.

JamesCurtis
07-07-2007, 09:58 PM
I just finished a tv commercial about 4 months ago and the three 3D characters in it were produced with Lightwave comped into live action video. The commercial hasn't aired yet, but should in the next several months in cable markets in select US areas. My avatar is one of the characters BTW.

Edbittner
07-08-2007, 07:00 AM
Note: Due to the large number of projects that LightWave 3DŽ has been used in, all submissions may not appear on this page.)
From the same page.
E.

Kuzey
07-08-2007, 07:14 AM
They already made a film in 2008 while we're still in 2007...that's impressive :beta:

Seriously, there are some companies that don't like to mention LW for what ever reason :confused:

Kuzey

vadermanchild
07-08-2007, 07:39 AM
Agree with Kuzey

RED FACE EMBARASSMENT!

archijam
07-08-2007, 07:44 AM
I blame global warming.

All of the recent changes to LW benefitted renderers, not animators ... I can imagine that arch-viz or other usage has increased, but who can say.

j.

Animapper
07-08-2007, 08:18 AM
After using most of the "other" 3D packages, using lwcad and LW makes the most sense for me doing GIS mapping and archViz. It's so straight forward, I love it.

Regards,

ben martin
07-08-2007, 08:39 AM
This is not a secret...
I posted some treads already related with this same problem.
I know some friends that started with Lightwave too but are now switched to XSi... and yes, they still hammering my head to do it so!
Why?
Easy, Lightwave is in fact trying to catch up but they are not changing the tools that really would make the difference.

CA - Not a word about this one cause I wouldn’t even know where to start!

Hypervoxels?
Man, it is a very old system already with colossal fails like clipping inside a gas cloud or the abusive time to render if you reduce the distance to non noticeable clipping.
Others package are doing it much better and faster now.

Dynamics:
Particle system?
It's a joke, believe me! This system has holes all over the calculation processes!
I really don’t want to talk about particle/collisions or liquids simulations.

Well, like you can guess I could go on and on but my love for Lightwave stops me to do it!
I still hopping that in the next release... that it will be!
Huh... many of my friends were much tired of expecting such and that's why the switched for good. I truly hope that it won't happen to me a well.

It's sad but it’s true, Lightwave is used in the "big" pipelines almost as a render solution but be aware… other systems are also doing it very fast and right.
For instance C4D is now much faster rendering a comparable scene that Lightwave is.
Newtek have to do something real fast to truly catch up or it’ll have to turn into a kind of “Blender foundation org.” real son. (Meaning open source software!)

NOTE: Blender is a pretty good software.
In fact it has a very capable geometry displacement paint tool and Lightwave have non. There are other things were Blender is starting to show-up very good and solid foundations.
If you don’t believe me just try it “it’s free” and look to it with an open mind!

Please, Newtek open up you eyes!

alifx
07-08-2007, 09:39 AM
I think Newtek should hire more coders to work with the development team.. and they are many, most of them who make plugins for LW.

Lightwave team is too small compared to other companies, that makes updates and development very slow.

C4D has a fast renderer but no, it's totally not like LW, Lightwaves renderer is more better than it.

render passes, well....... mmm maybe at 9.5 or 10 :D?

and about Blender, yeah it's a great free 3d software, there will be auto lip sync for it, and also the render API that ables third-party renderers to make plugins into blender for rendering.

alifx
07-08-2007, 09:43 AM
also forgot about the separated program (modeler - Layout)

I think that is another reason that limits LW or makes a plugin coding more harder and complex
!

Ivan D. Young
07-08-2007, 12:17 PM
One area that is a big problem for studios is the SDK not being as open as it could be and not having complete access to all the functions. The amount of tools and plug ins would balloon in a very short amount of time if LW's SDK was more robust, they are working on it, be patient. Many studios would just program the tools they need if they were able to do it, that is what is done with Maya on a regular basis.

Edbittner
07-09-2007, 03:06 AM
One area that is a big problem for studios is the SDK not being as open as it could be and not having complete access to all the functions. The amount of tools and plug ins would balloon in a very short amount of time if LW's SDK was more robust, they are working on it, be patient. Many studios would just program the tools they need if they were able to do it, that is what is done with Maya on a regular basis.

For agreement. I remember saying this YEARS ago, however, I do think the biggest hurdle LW has overcome in recent releases were the original programmers, (who bailed). Anyone seen Serenity? Or for that matter, BSG?
I have to believe the reason for the "catch up" is not incompetance of the programmers, it is the robust nature of the programs that came after LW.
Do we use other apps? Sure. LW is our main app for all the reasons Zoic and every bigger house than ours has already stated.
E.

toby
07-09-2007, 09:20 PM
They already made a film in 2008 while we're still in 2007...that's impressive :beta:

That's the release date, they always list them that way

Stooch
07-09-2007, 10:03 PM
Also to set the lit is a verry hard part on large scenes with Lightwave, imagine you have some hundreds of objects you want to lit, you have to go to every single object or light to link the lights in the properties panel, actually there is NO WAY to do it in the Scene-Editor properties !!!

??? what are you talking about? light linking?

if you want to select lots of items, select items that YOU DONT WANT and then invert the selection. (right click)

toby
07-09-2007, 11:37 PM
imagine you have some hundreds of objects you want to lit, you have to go to every single object or light to link the lights in the properties panel, actually there is NO WAY to do it in the Scene-Editor properties !!!
Look for 'Include-Exclude lights' on Flay, it does great light linking.

Kuzey
07-10-2007, 02:42 AM
That's the release date, they always list them that way

I knew that...just having fun with it :D

Kuzey

colkai
07-10-2007, 04:31 AM
if you want to select lots of items, select items that YOU DONT WANT and then invert the selection. (right click)
You know,
If only I could remember to do that. :p
It's up there with the 'select switch' action in modeller as one of the things that would make life easier if my sieve of a brain would just store the darned info consistently. :D

In udder words - good tip! :)