PDA

View Full Version : Nodal Bump Masking?

WaxSteel
07-06-2007, 11:09 AM
I'm finally trying to get my head around the nodal system. I like how you can now plug entire textures in the foreground/ background layers of other textures, but I'm having some trouble manipulating, for example - the bump maps in the same way.

For example, here I'm filling a grid texture with crumple & parquet textures.

I want to mask the crumple texture so it doesnt affect the parquet texture area on the model. Using the old layered system I'd be using an alpha mask layer above the crumple layer to restrict it, but I cant figure out how to split up the bump layer input to the surface between the crumple & parquet bumps using nodal.

Can anyone shed any light? In my example so far I'm sorry if its a bit basic but these are early steps with nodal here.

http://www.pixelkanvas.co.uk/other/nodal_masking.jpg

dpont
07-06-2007, 11:45 AM
You could connect the Parquet alpha output in the BumpAmp input
of the Crumple, but don't know if you need to invert the
Parquet for the effect you want.

Denis.

Bytehawk
07-06-2007, 04:30 PM
could you send your current texture/object over.

I can get a look at it and send you back what I would do....
in nodal, just like in any other part of LW there's dozens of ways to tackle a problem, so what I do won't possibly be the 'best' way :)

in short : I'd separate the bump channels, mask them and then combine them
separately using vector math nodes

what denis said is the best short way to get the masking in your current setup

Weepul
07-06-2007, 05:02 PM
If there was a Vector Mixer node, it would be really easy.

As it is, the standard color Mixer node can do it, but you have to get around Nodal not wanting to allow you to connect color outputs to Bump or Normal.

Here are directions:
• Connect the Bump outputs from your two nodes to the Foreground and Background color inputs on a Mixer node.
• Connect the Alpha output of your Grid node to the Opacity input on the Mixer node.
• Connect the output of the Mixer node to any vector math node that won't do anything - I like adding <0, 0, 0> to the input. This makes Nodal think the color is actually a vector, without changing the data.
• Connect that to Bump.

If the bumps are in the wrong sections, reverse the mixer's foreground and background inputs.

Extent
07-06-2007, 05:37 PM
The reason that tree isn't working is because there is no FG/BG for that bump channel, so you're feeding it crumple and it's just using what you give it. My first thought would be to run it through a multiply node with an inverted parquet, but BumpAmp sounds like a much better idea.

Bytehawk
07-06-2007, 06:01 PM
here's my shot

Extent
07-06-2007, 06:12 PM
Bytehawks looks cooler, but I did it a couple different ways as well.

BumpAmp only works on the crumple node in this arrangement. If you patch in to the grid bump amp it has no effect.

WaxSteel
07-06-2007, 06:25 PM
Whoah! - thanks guys, thats a lot of response to take in.

I did get it going initially with the crumple & the BumpAmp input suggestion from Dpont, but I just know I'm going to need to be able to do it some of these other ways to get more control.

Its late here in the uk, so I'll post some feedback tomorrow.

Thanks again

WaxSteel
07-14-2007, 05:39 PM
Ok there's a lot to it - can anyone recommend a good training source to help get up to speed with LW 9 or Nodal specifically.

I only recently upgraded but I missed out on the free "Lightwave 9 defined" dvd in the current Vizcad bundle (and LWCAD 2.5 ....grumble.) Is that worth getting for Nodal examples, or is the video by Jarrod Davis , "What's New in LightWave® v9" better?

I've noticed the Kurv studios "LightWave 3D 9 Introduction to Node Based Texturing " DVD but dont seem to be able to order that in the UK via their website.

Otherwise there are the two great LW 9 books "Inside Lightwave 9" and "Essential Lightwave v9" I assume these discuss nodal but which is better?

I was hopefully looking for an in depth dvd/ video that goes beyond the Basic Nodal video by Kurv that comes on the LW 9 content disk

Anyone got or rate these?

Bytehawk
07-14-2007, 06:37 PM
you said it,

there's a lot to take in.
I haven't seen the videos you're talking about
but I don't believe that even a 15 hour video will get you upto speed on this. It might help you in the right direction.

I got where I am today by using nodes day in day out, the knowledge in these forum is vast. Join the fun in the OB, most of what I know is in those forums. And their archives.

Talking about normals, bumpmaps, etc... Tesselator gave me a good lead when nodal was still in its infancy : http://www.codesampler.com/d3dbook/chapter_02/chapter_02.htm

Once you get the hang of nodes you won't want to go back to the old way. (unless we're talking really simple surfaces)