PDA

View Full Version : Blurring reflections in Nodal mode

claudioarchi
07-06-2007, 09:58 AM
Hi there, again me with questions. I was exploring modo 203 and i did this image (first one), it tooked me 5 min to get the right reflections and the right bluryness and fresnel effect ho!!! and the render time was 3 min (8 AA). My god i was so jalous of the software that i try to do the same in LW. But i can get the blurry reflections right and the fresnel effect. Can any one hlep me, second image is my nodal tree.

Thanks

Man Modo is no bad at all!!!!!:thumbsup:

Bytehawk
07-06-2007, 03:40 PM
why are you using a standard material here

You could just pump straight to the respective outputs....

viper is your friend. In surface editor you can choose to view only one channel (ie reflection), viper then also only renders this channel. Mighty useful to 'debug' nodes.

kyle_r
07-07-2007, 07:08 AM
You have a fresnel node made by Dpont very usefull

http://perso.orange.fr/dpont/plugins/nodes/Additionnal_Nodes_2.html

Or you can directly use material node for metal surface and blur the reflection in it. The fresnel is automaticly calculate i think. You put the material node into the material input of the surface tab.

Conductor for metal like surface.
Dieletric for glass like surface.
Delta for both if you want more option.

Both have blur relfection in it with the roughness option.

So simple to use for me.

Boris Goreta
07-07-2007, 12:06 PM
Why don't you plug reflection shader to the appropriate input. There you can control blur amount and the number of reflection samples.

claudioarchi
07-07-2007, 12:44 PM
Why don't you plug reflection shader to the appropriate input. There you can control blur amount and the number of reflection samples.

Hey thanks bgoreta it works perfectly, i'm sorry i don't have much experience with nodes.

thank you all again this community is something

i'll post again the same render but this time in LW.

claudioarchi
07-07-2007, 12:51 PM
why are you using a standard material here

You could just pump straight to the respective outputs....

viper is your friend. In surface editor you can choose to view only one channel (ie reflection), viper then also only renders this channel. Mighty useful to 'debug' nodes.

i really don't know why i'm using a standard material i guess is a reflex remaining of the old layerd system. thanks for the advice

kyle_r
07-08-2007, 07:28 PM
wrong post

claudioarchi
07-08-2007, 11:47 PM
oK i ve try somthing here but in my world reflections don't behave like this. Hmmm!!!! any suggestions?

claudioarchi
07-08-2007, 11:49 PM
sorry forgot the image

Boris Goreta
07-09-2007, 04:45 AM
This test render was done using LW's reflection node.
What kind of reflections are you after ?

claudioarchi
07-09-2007, 10:01 AM
This test render was done using LW's reflection node.
What kind of reflections are you after ?

Hey bgoreta, that's exactly what Iím looking for :thumbsup: , if you compares with mine you will see that the reflections get wither the more far they are from the object, in my point of view those are not real reflections blurriness here is my node. If you take a look of my first render that was made with MODO (BTW amazing render speed) you can see that the reflections don't get wither they just continue until they disappear, that's wht I'm looking for How you get yours? can you share your presets

Thank you in advance

Boris Goreta
07-09-2007, 02:14 PM
Here you go. All the scene files are in reflections.rar.

It renders fast on LWs renderer: 10 seconds on dual xeon dual core 3.0.

Modos render you showed at the beginning of the thread isn't good at all. There are bright splotches at the wall joinings. They shouldn't be there, that is a result of radiosity interpolation.

Cheers !

Boris Goreta
07-09-2007, 02:24 PM
If you intend to do walkthrough animation with this scene you should check cache rediositi unfer global illumination tab. Then you can lower minimum evaluation spacing to 10 mm to get more accurate radiosity. It will take longer to calculate for the first frame but for the other frames it will be around 8 seconds.

claudioarchi
07-09-2007, 05:26 PM
Here you go. All the scene files are in reflections.rar.

It renders fast on LWs renderer: 10 seconds on dual xeon dual core 3.0.

Modos render you showed at the beginning of the thread isn't good at all. There are bright splotches at the wall joinings. They shouldn't be there, that is a result of radiosity interpolation.

Cheers !

thank you again it really helped me. About the MODO render, i know the readiosity solution is not ok but it only took me 5 min to get that result, i was impressed by the render time, thas why. For the rest i stick to LW for better solutions

Thank you