PDA

View Full Version : How many sell stuff on Turbosquid ? ?

jthompson3d
07-06-2007, 09:17 AM
How many people actually sell stuff on turbosquid.com and have it actually sold? Many people have things posted to sell on turbosquid but never actually sell them.

nemac4
07-06-2007, 11:04 AM
Hey Tulsan form a former Tulsan.

I know that we have purchased many, many models from TBSquid at where I work. We bought over 1k worth just last month.

sean hargreaves
07-06-2007, 05:19 PM
Talk to Andyjaggy, he's on the forum, he sells stuff on Turbosquid!

Andyjaggy
07-06-2007, 06:47 PM
I usually sell at least 2-3 models a month. That's not a lot but then again I only have about 8 models up there at the moment, and you don't have to do anything! Just post them and when they sell you make money.

Many people don't ever sell stuff but that's usually because they overcharge for the quality of the model. Well they may not overcharge as to what it should actually cost but in relationship to other stuff on the site they do. It hurts but its the truth.

Matt
07-06-2007, 08:44 PM
My models suck, I wouldn't make a penny!

Extent
07-06-2007, 09:13 PM
I threw up a handful of older generic models up when I went jobless at the beginning of the year but I haven't had any sales. It's really totally easy, I can't think of any reason not to put stuff up.

I know my car model gets about 3x as many hits as anything else I have up. It seems to me that game ready models and interior furnishings might be the more popular items, but I haven't wanted to tear time away from working on my short to go "prospecting" so-to-speak to find things that would actually sell for me.

TS seems to really want to push higher prices for items, and they make a decent argument against massively undercutting other prices of things on the site. I guess I tend to undervalue my time generally.

Andyjaggy
07-06-2007, 09:19 PM
I threw up a handful of older generic models up when I went jobless at the beginning of the year but I haven't had any sales. It's really totally easy, I can't think of any reason not to put stuff up.

I know my car model gets about 3x as many hits as anything else I have up. It seems to me that game ready models and interior furnishings might be the more popular items, but I haven't wanted to tear time away from working on my short to go "prospecting" so-to-speak to find things that would actually sell for me.

TS seems to really want to push higher prices for items, and they make a decent argument against massively undercutting other prices of things on the site. I guess I tend to undervalue my time generally.

It is a matter of knowing what will sell. My laptop model has sold more then anything else. Game stuff is always a good shot, and I have noticed arch building sets always sell well.

hrgiger
07-07-2007, 07:50 AM
I've thrown about 3 or 4 models up there in the last few years. I'd say in that time, I've made about $500. Not a lot but since I never originally planned on selling anything, it's free money. Personally, I think they way overcharge and I don't like their policy of inflating the price I list it at.

oDDity
07-07-2007, 08:10 AM
I have an account there but I've never bothered putting anything up yet. I'm never sure exactly what will sell. I dsont' know what the sort of people who buy generic models want i n a generic model, and none of my models are particularly generic.
The best thing about it is being able to sell multiple copies of the same model, so you don't have to charge a lot to make a decent amount on it.
Of course TB want to push prices higher, because they take a 50% cut the greedy bastards. All they do is run a bloody website, they shouldn't be taking more than 15-20%.
I doubt you could make a living just making stuff to sell there though. Too much competition from every amateur hack who's ever glanced at a 3d tutorial, and then sells their sh1t for nothing.

Andyjaggy
07-07-2007, 08:34 AM
I have an account there but I've never bothered putting anything up yet. I'm never sure exactly what will sell. I dsont' know what the sort of people who buy generic models want i n a generic model, and none of my models are particularly generic.
The best thing about it is being able to sell multiple copies of the same model, so you don't have to charge a lot to make a decent amount on it.
Of course TB want to push prices higher, because they take a 50% cut the greedy bastards. All they do is run a bloody website, they shouldn't be taking more than 15-20%.
I doubt you could make a living just making stuff to sell there though. Too much competition from every amateur hack who's ever glanced at a 3d tutorial, and then sells their sh1t for nothing.

I always wonder the same thing when I sell something. What in the world are they going to do with this....... And the 50% royalty is pretty ridiculous, I would be okay if they only took 25%. The good thing is you can usually tell who the amateur hacks are and it will show in the quality of their models, although I am always surprised at some of the very poor models I see sell and then get high ratings! It makes you wonder.

AbnRanger
07-07-2007, 09:52 AM
Compared to other sites, like Digimation, TS's prices are severely undervalued. That's in large part due to the amount of competition (hacks, as oDDity put it, included)within the TS seller community.
Prices that were a few hundred $$ a few years ago, seem to have dropped to below $100. After TS gets their half (I think that's greedy as well), it's not even worth it.

I haven't yet put anything up, but will soon, and everything that's high-quality, high-detail is going to be high-dollar...whether it ever sells or not. I'm not going to try to give the shirt off my back for something that would take a studio dozens of hours to produce..for a measly $50...sorry H.R.

cresshead
07-07-2007, 10:12 AM
note:-
turbosquid decides to price in the long run to stop people undercutting each other...
you set a price then turbosquid take a look at it to see if it's a fair price or too cheap or too expensive

re
''All they do is run a bloody website, they shouldn't be taking more than 15-20%.''

yeah that only includes:-
1.having staff to fix models that don't work,
2.investigate stolen models,
3.support plugins for 3d apps sold on their site,
4.host all the assests on their space
5.bandwidth including the preview movies and the online forums,
6.take the total responsibility for credit card and paypal transactions
7.plus refunds
8.the marketing of turbosquid which has made it THE place to buy 3d assests..

Their adverts [they are not free to place] online on other websites
their adverts placed in 3d based magazines

in essence they market YOU...

gee i sound like a turbosquid fanboy!:D

cresshead
07-07-2007, 10:16 AM
oddity, i'd lay a good wager that if you placed some of your assets online your freelance work would double or better for where you are now if you also included your contact details in the assest descriptions...

my freelance work from turbosquid is easly 20x that of what i have sold...and my models are 'utter poo' compared to yours!

cresshead
07-07-2007, 10:25 AM
ideas for oddity....:D

http://files.turbosquid.com/Preview/Content_on_4_14_2004_19_29_34/LibertyFull.jpg10b0ab8c-512f-408d-8bed-2171f149de64Large.jpg

and other landmark statues etc...:thumbsup:

note the models i have up are all pretty old...from lw7.5 days....i'm sorting new stuff to go up V soon.

oDDity
07-07-2007, 10:42 AM
Come on, that list nowhere near justifies 50%. It sounds like the normal work any marketing agency has to do. The normal fee for agencies is more like 12%.
The problem with doing the sort of stuff you think will sell, is that there are probably already 50 such models on there, because everyone has the same idea.

shrox
07-07-2007, 11:27 AM
I have some models of the Titan, Atlas and Mercury rockets on there, as well as the Mir spacestation, as well as a 2001ish lunar base. I put the Apollo module and lunar lander up there for free. I'd say they are all medium detail.

Here is the link to the free one:

http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/150483

Andyjaggy
07-07-2007, 11:34 AM
oddity, i'd lay a good wager that if you placed some of your assets online your freelance work would double or better for where you are now if you also included your contact details in the assest descriptions...

my freelance work from turbosquid is easly 20x that of what i have sold...and my models are 'utter poo' compared to yours!

I originally put my contact info on my stuff but then they came along and deleted it off! I redid it and put it back on and then 3 months later those products with contact info on them were deleted. How do you get away with doing that cresshead? I just figure now if they like my stuff they will type anydjaggy into google and find my website.

Also I have never had them change a price that I have decided. I guess I have stayed within their pricing scale.

Andyjaggy
07-07-2007, 11:38 AM
ideas for oddity....:D

http://files.turbosquid.com/Preview/Content_on_4_14_2004_19_29_34/LibertyFull.jpg10b0ab8c-512f-408d-8bed-2171f149de64Large.jpg

and other landmark statues etc...:thumbsup:

note the models i have up are all pretty old...from lw7.5 days....i'm sorting new stuff to go up V soon.

I doubt Oddity would ever model that. He hates America as far as I can tell :) Or maybe just the culture America spews out across the rest of the world. I bet that would sell like crazy though.

hrgiger
07-07-2007, 11:56 AM
I haven't yet put anything up, but will soon, and everything that's high-quality, high-detail is going to be high-dollar...whether it ever sells or not. I'm not going to try to give the shirt off my back for something that would take a studio dozens of hours to produce..for a measly $50...sorry H.R.

Nothing to be sorry about I think. The fact that a model I produce might have taken a studio dozens of hours to produce is irrelevant to me. I have sold models on there that I never had intended to sell so it has no fixed dollar amount as far as 'man hours' is concerned so I should be able to sell it for $10 or $500,000. I'm not now and never will be a studio so whether I'm undecutting someone or not getting the value someone else thinks I deserve is pretty much wasted breath on me. It's the whole beauty of the free market system. Whether someone buys the model or not is a whole other issue.
People wouldn't have to sell their items on TS for so much if TS wasn't gouging them for 50%.

cresshead
07-07-2007, 12:03 PM
dear 'odd' i think your missing my main point...

the way i make money with Tsquid is from freelance work...turbosquid gets me in their 'window/gallery' for zero outlay...their presence on the internet benefits my freelance work as a contact point.

cresshead
07-07-2007, 12:08 PM
I originally put my contact info on my stuff but then they came along and deleted it off! I redid it and put it back on and then 3 months later those products with contact info on them were deleted. How do you get away with doing that cresshead? I just figure now if they like my stuff they will type anydjaggy into google and find my website.

Also I have never had them change a price that I have decided. I guess I have stayed within their pricing scale.

hmm no idea!..not noticed...maybe cause i'm a moderator on their max forum possibly...:question: but i don't moderate much...thiough have got back into it this month i bit more.

AbnRanger
07-07-2007, 12:19 PM
People wouldn't have to sell their items on TS for so much if TS wasn't gouging them for 50%.Good point. :bangwall:
I think TS views themselves as equal partners in a business...when in reality, they are simply an agent or a storefront...neither of which can justify 50% commission.

oDDity
07-07-2007, 12:53 PM
Yes, I see your point about it being some free and focused advertising. I suppose I should throw some models up there, I have plenty lying around.

cresshead
07-07-2007, 01:12 PM
odd, yeah i think you'd do well...the hardest thing with freelance isn't being good enough it's being 'known' or 'found'...you could be the best modeler on the planet but if they can't find you or stumble over your work it's hard to hire you.

it's worth a shot just to see what happens yeah?
hint:- make your vendor name 'pixelwerks' as this comes in 4th in a google search for it.

Andyjaggy
07-07-2007, 02:36 PM
I think that is the philosophy most of the people on turbosquid have. "Heck I'm not doing anything with all these models here, I might as well throw them online and make a few bucks without doing anything." I think that is why they get away with taking 50% of your money. Although there are a few people on there with hundreds of models that I am sure actually bring in some decent money with it. I've always kind of told myself thats what I will do if all my freelance dries up :)

shrox
07-07-2007, 03:13 PM
I think that is the philosophy most of the people on turbosquid have. "Heck I'm not doing anything with all these models here, I might as well throw them online and make a few bucks without doing anything."...

I am guilty of that.

Andyjaggy
07-07-2007, 03:45 PM
Me too at the moment. I'm thinking of getting a border collie by the way :)

shrox
07-07-2007, 05:57 PM
Me too at the moment. I'm thinking of getting a border collie by the way :)

A border collie! If you don't already have one picked out, look at http://www.bcrescue.org there are lots of border collies looking for their new forever home. That is where I found my Sydney.

Andyjaggy
07-07-2007, 06:15 PM
Hey cool thanks. I am a little concerned about being able to properly take care of one right now though. I grew up with a collie and I know they love being outside and they going. Right now I don't know if I would have the time to do that, and there is nothing I hate more then seeing people get a dog, love it for a year and then get tired of it and leave it chained up all day.