PDA

View Full Version : Help needed: How can I "grow" an edge?

WARANGEL
07-06-2007, 06:50 AM
Okay, I RTFM (past tense) and still I'm having no luck with the danged program. Picture this:

You make a ball (globe, tesselation, doesn't matter).

Delete the entire bottom half of the polys. What you have left is the top half of a hollow ball, right?

I want to take the entire edge, the circumfrence between the polys on top and the empty space below, and "grow" that edge outward along the x and z directions. The result would... almost look like the ball was "melting" in a way, if that helps.

I'm reading the manual (on PDF, right in front of me now) and there's a few tools I thought might help. Extender Plus does nothing that I can see. I only want to grow the edges and of the few tools that are selectable, most of them politely make Modeler stop working according to the friggin error messages I get. I went online and found jack crap on this. So, I'm asking for help here. I'm sure it can be done, and I'm sure it's pretty easy, but I'll be damned if I can make it work without crashing Modeler. Seems like it should be a pretty simple task though...

Sorry for my crappy sketch but this is what I'm trying to figure out.

byte_fx
07-06-2007, 07:06 AM
actually extender plus is exactly what you want - probably.

try this -

first set action center to 'selected'

select the bottom points

apply extender plus

in top view apply scale

the points should come out into a disk shape like your sketch

extender plus creates the extra geometry - it's up to the user to position the points

byte_fx

WARANGEL
07-06-2007, 07:16 AM
Sorry for my noob-ness. Can you please explain how to apply scale? I've got the points selected and I'm in the top view.

Thanks for the help!

SBowie
07-06-2007, 07:22 AM
The result would... almost look like the ball was "melting" in a way, if that helps.I don't spend nearly as much time in LW as I'd like to, but if what you are trying to do overall could be described as being like watching a lump of ice cream melting down to a pool of liquid (as opposed to simply spreading that single row of points on the bottom), there are other approaches.

For example, you could use morphing - make a morph target of your model that is basically mashed nearly flat (stretch it down on the Y axis), and morph to that over time. With a little point tweaking, this might be reasonably effective.

Matt Buxton
07-06-2007, 07:22 AM
um try not using extender tools, just make sphere delete almost half, select the bottom points press h in top view and scale... you will get same effect as above remember you can constrain the scale tool by holding middle mouse button down

good luck
oh and byte .... nice computer !

byte_fx
07-06-2007, 07:28 AM
no problem - everyone is new at some point and as one ventures into new areas the newness reappears.

it's under the same top heading where move and rotate items are.

just select scale and drag the mouse in in the top view

actually - if all the points have the same y value then size would be a better choice than scale as it will keep the points concentric.

byte_fx

actually - if

WARANGEL
07-06-2007, 07:56 AM
Problem is, I've been "new" at this since... 2002 I guess. I've never had the time to devote to learning until now though :(

Thanks for the help guys, I'm figuring it out.

SplineGod
07-06-2007, 09:33 AM
Do you want to simply model the edge extended or animate the edge extending kind of like this: http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/melt.mov

byte_fx
07-06-2007, 09:44 AM
Problem is, I've been "new" at this since... 2002 I guess. I've never had the time to devote to learning until now though :(

Thanks for the help guys, I'm figuring it out.

like I said - no problem.

As anyone moves thru using LW they'll encounter parts that are new to them. So don't be afraid to ask.

byte_fx