PDA

View Full Version : Time Code Burn

Ivan
07-05-2007, 08:38 PM
Please don't take this as more whining but wouldn't it be a good thing to be able to position and size this? If you put clip time AND project time on they are unreadable. Or am I the only one that thinks this might be a good idea?

Ivan

Mike Watkins
07-05-2007, 08:56 PM
Glad to see you're back Ivan. I will for sure add that to the feature request database for the next version. Thank you.

ted
07-05-2007, 10:52 PM
Mike, While you're at it, can you make SE display the clip's timecode as well? This is the number one way we use time code dubs.

Our clients need to see the timecode to select soundbites and cuts for production.
Especially since we now use clips directly, we can't run it through a Beta deck to take the timecode feed to VHS or DVD.
Please? :help:

ScorpioProd
07-05-2007, 11:08 PM
Mike, While you're at it, can you make SE display the clip's timecode as well? This is the number one way we use time code dubs.

Our clients need to see the timecode to select soundbites and cuts for production.
Especially since we now use clips directly, we can't run it through a Beta deck to take the timecode feed to VHS or DVD.
Please? :help:
That's not possible since effects can't be tied to specific clips.

How would it know which clip you want the TC from?

The feature listing wording on that one tricked me, too, Ted.

Paul Lara
07-06-2007, 08:46 AM
It tricked me as well, which is why it's not properly described.
It is more accurately described as "...Timecode burn in filter displaying either Timecode filter length or total project time"

SBowie
07-06-2007, 09:01 AM
te absolvo ...

ScorpioProd
07-06-2007, 09:49 AM
Can any editor give an example of why one would EVER want TC burn-in based on the TC filter's own TC? I can't.

Project TC burn-in can be useful, but what Ted and I need of TC burn-in of actual clip time code is what I see as the most needed type.

And SpeedEDIT 1.2 does NOT support that. :(

SBowie
07-06-2007, 10:04 AM
Can any editor give an example of why one would EVER want TC burn-in based on the TC filter's own TC?No, this seems like something that can use improvement. When Project Time is turned off (in the effect's control panel), it would be more useful if the display at least showed the local timecode for clip directly above it.

Still, it's a start; replacing those old timecode overlay files of mine was long overdue.

ScorpioProd
07-07-2007, 01:17 AM
Still, it's a start; replacing those old timecode overlay files of mine was long overdue.
Maybe, and maybe not... Your overlay files can be sized and moved anywhere on the screen...

jcupp
07-07-2007, 12:17 PM
Can any editor give an example of why one would EVER want TC burn-in based on the TC filter's own TC? I can't.

Project TC burn-in can be useful, but what Ted and I need of TC burn-in of actual clip time code is what I see as the most needed type.

And SpeedEDIT 1.2 does NOT support that. :(

Drag the In point of the Timecode filter to match the actual timecode of a clip and overlay it. This would be easier if you could paste the TC into the properties panel for the TC filter.

It's an extra step but does let you, in effect, display the clip timecode.

ScorpioProd
07-07-2007, 01:31 PM
Drag the In point of the Timecode filter to match the actual timecode of a clip and overlay it. This would be easier if you could paste the TC into the properties panel for the TC filter.

It's an extra step but does let you, in effect, display the clip timecode.

Not a bad idea, but did you try it?

Unfortunately, no, that doesn't work.

As a side note, once you have the TC burn filter in your project, you can no longer read clip TC by clicking the box on the main interface if the TC burn in filter is where your scrub bar is.

If I set one hour for the in point, it doesn't make the TC start at 1 hour in the burn-in numbers.

I tried other tricks:

I go to the clip properties panel for the TC effect.

The checkbox clearly labeled "Use captured timecode" is checked, but it ignores that.

I then typed in a time code offset, right in the box where it says to do that, but it ignores it.

I'm sorry, I really wanted this effect to work, but it's turned out rather disappointing to me. :thumbsdow

jcupp
07-07-2007, 04:28 PM
Works on mine, but you can't type or paste the in-point into the Clip Properties Panel, you have to drag it on the timeline. Edited to clarify: It is the In Point of the TC effect you are changing not the offset.

ScorpioProd
07-07-2007, 04:56 PM
OH, drag on the timeline, OK, I'll give that a shot after this Vegas 7 render finishes... Though making a 24 hour long filter sounds a bit cumbersome to cover my full range of TC.

But honestly, though that could be a sort of workaround, my projects aren't typically just ONE clip. Typically there are coffee breaks and lunch during the conferences, so one would have to set separate filters for each clip.

Then there's the BUG I mentioned where if you have that filter in, you can no longer read the local TC right off the clip on the main interface!

A bad bug when added to the TC burn in filter limitations.

ScorpioProd
11-21-2007, 01:02 PM
I decided to bump this up since no changes to time code burn-in made it into the "next version" as Mike thought they would.

I mean seriously, there are projects I'd like to do in SpeedEDIT that I simply can't since it doesn't support time code window burn-in of clip time code.

SBowie
11-21-2007, 01:11 PM
NO offense, but I find the current implementation pretty limited too. I wonder if is a place where our good buddy Bob might find a little niche to fill. A fully-featured timecode/frame overlay plug-in might have quite a few takers ...

ScorpioProd
11-21-2007, 02:11 PM
Well, unless Newtek implements support for filters that can attach to clips, I don't see it happening.

SBowie
11-21-2007, 02:42 PM
I don't know - it seems to me that some of Bob's toys have to parse the clip list above, and might perhaps be able to access timecode from the files.

ScorpioProd
11-21-2007, 02:54 PM
Well, we'll see, I just e-mailed Bob about it...

Bobt
11-21-2007, 05:27 PM
I would have to open an avi file and read it directly while
the timeline is trying to do the same thing.
I dont think that would work all that well and for every AVI file type I would have to know the correct RIFF code/chunk
to get. And hey if you think I could do it when I really have no business reading the file while its playing then shouldnt another well known organization pick up that torch?

Bob

SBowie
11-21-2007, 06:00 PM
hmmm - what about as a 'render and overlay' effect, like LWC? Not realtime ...

Bobt
11-21-2007, 06:16 PM
Not sure..
Maybe. I was never found of opening a file that is supposed to be
opened by the editor. Just worried about collision and other such stuff.
Anyway I AM BOOKED..

SCS
12-08-2007, 08:06 PM
Could this company's product be adapted?

http://www.enosoft.net/index.htm

Perhaps their dv codec could be used instead of M$ or MainConcept's - Amongst other things, it provides real-time timecode from dv files in Windows Media Player.

ScorpioProd
12-08-2007, 09:20 PM
That's cool. But it's important to realize the data is already there and SpeedEDIT knows the time code.

It is Newtek's design choice whether we can burn it in or not.

For instance, if you put DV clips on the time line, you can check the box for "local clip time" and voila, SpeedEDIT shows you the clip time code.

It is simply a matter of Newtek making their window burn filter show THAT very data that is already there and ready to use.

SCS
12-08-2007, 09:49 PM
Here is the correct one:
http://www.enosoft.net/products/enodvdec/enodvdec.htm

ScorpioProd: Oh. I was hoping that until Newtek creates that filter, this could be a workaround - by using their dv codec in SpeedEdit the timecode could be displayed. On the other hand, as you have stated in another post, SpeedEdit decompresses everything, it probably would not work.

Adam_LightPlay
12-09-2007, 03:58 PM
1. I have scrubbed the TC Filter's in-point to match the clips timecode. That worked fine.
2. I haven't tried it, but it seems you could render up an .avi with alpha, (Speed HQ), of nothing but the TC filter for an hour or two. Then that overlay would be positionable and sizeable.