PDA

View Full Version : Does the 1.2 update work with TMPgenc now?

Seti Orion
07-05-2007, 06:00 PM
???????

wvp
07-05-2007, 06:45 PM
Don't think so :( They did add chapter support (based on timeline markers) for the SE MPG renderer.

John Perkins
07-05-2007, 09:18 PM
You can also export the chapter mark list with other formats such as DV avi.

This can then be used in TMPG to force I frames for chapter marks.

Seti Orion
07-05-2007, 09:21 PM
So we cant open speededit projects as a wrapper file
in TMPGenc or DVDWS?

John Perkins
07-05-2007, 09:36 PM
That is correct.

You might join Eugene in his TMPG plugin request campaign though.

I've made a note that you want this feature, but it doesn't hurt for people to let us know what you need.

Rich Deustachio
07-05-2007, 09:40 PM
Either that or make the MPEG-2 rendering quality out of SE equal to TMPGenc.

taylorpro
07-06-2007, 01:30 PM
We NEED TMPGenc Support!

Seti Orion
07-06-2007, 03:32 PM
yes we do

Bump!

ScorpioProd
07-06-2007, 03:57 PM
Feel free to jump on the bandwagon now, but it's TOO LATE.

SpeedEDIT 1.2 is OUT.

SBowie
07-06-2007, 04:04 PM
And hooray for that, or we'd be into a round of "NewTek misses a deadline!" Now you've got until 1.5 to muster support, Eugene.

Thalek
07-06-2007, 04:34 PM
Feel free to jump on the bandwagon now, but it's TOO LATE.

SpeedEDIT 1.2 is OUT.

It's too late for 1.2, that's true.

Doesn't mean we should stop trying.

I don't even know what this feature is that you're concerned about, but if someone will tell me where to properly report desired new features, I'll add my support to it.

ScorpioProd
07-06-2007, 04:34 PM
And hooray for that, or we'd be into a round of "NewTek misses a deadline!"

True, quite true. Not quite as "on time" as the iPhone release, but close enough. ;)

Paul Lara
07-06-2007, 04:47 PM
...if someone will tell me where to properly report desired new features, I'll add my support to it.

If your SpeedEDIT computer is on the net, just navigate to
Start > Programs > NewTek > SpeedEDIT > Support (Web)

Please put FEATURE in the subject header, and explain what you'd like added in the future, and how it will help you.

Pete Draves
07-06-2007, 04:49 PM
Batteries for SE are cheaper.

Eugene, should we spam John for the Tempgenc plugin at ...say 100 per day until we get it as an adin for the current patch?
Pete

Thalek
07-06-2007, 04:51 PM

Please put FEATURE in the subject header, and explain what you'd like added in the future, and how it will help you.

Thanks, Paul. You were always a big help on the ImageFX list, too. 'Preciates it, I does.

So, now I need to learn more about this feature so I can actually tell people how I would benefit from it. "Eugene thinks it's a good idea" may be accurate, but scarcely informative from an engineering viewpoint. [grin]

ScorpioProd
07-06-2007, 05:19 PM
Well, it goes like this:

Once upon a time, a long time ago, a programmer came up with the best MPEG-2 encoder for the money that could be found ANYWHERE else for anywhere near that price.

It became very popular for people that knew about it based on its quality. It is fully multithreaded and works great with multiple processors and cores.

It became so popular that people with other NLEs even spent the time and effort creating frameserver plug-ins that would let their favorite NLE feed directly into TMPGEnc for MPEG-2 encoding without needing to render to an intermediate file first.

TMPGEnc is simply that good.

Newtek wasn't oblivious to this, either. Newtek had tried their luck at MPEG-2 encoding with Vidget, and it honestly wasn't a success. So when it came time for the VT to support MPEG-2 encoding, Newtek provided a VTP loader to TMPGEnc to let you load your project into TMPGEnc directly with no rendering first, similar to a frameserver system.

This was also related to the AVI Wrapper that would let you load VT-EDIT projects into just about ANY application that could load a standard AVI file.

Both very useful features.

Personally, I and others used the TMPGEnc loader on ALL our projects. It even let you run it without having the VT itself running, which was another bonus, since you could be editing something else in VT while it worked in the background. It was fully supported by Bob Tasa's Chapter Points plug-in to let you force I-frames for project markers to chapter points.

Now no, the plug-in didn't always work perfect, but if you knew what to avoid, it would work without a problem.

This saved so much time and quality by not requiring you to render out to something like DV first before doing your MPEG-2 encoding.

Now we jump to the present. We have SpeedEDIT 1.2 from Newtek. As of SpeedEDIT 1.0, Newtek decided to try their hand at making a MPEG-2 encoder again. This makes sense, since all other NLEs have one, I certainly can't argue with that.

But the simple reality is the MPEG-2 encoder native in SpeedEDIT 1.2 is neither as high quality nor as high speed as TMPGEnc.

Even Newtek people have posted that their encoder isn't going to be as high quality in all situations as one from a company that only makes a MPEG-2 encoder and has been optimizing it for years. There's no shame in that for Newtek, it makes perfect sense.

It is honestly quicker AND higher quality for me to render out to DV and then put that into TMPGENc for my MPEG-2 encoding. The result is higher quality and a shorter encode time.

Obviously, if Newtek made a TMPGEnc loader for SpeedEDIT, my time and quality would improve even more by not needing to render out to DV first.

Rich Deustachio
07-06-2007, 05:28 PM
I have a dream.....no not that one.....the one about being able to edit on SE/VT5 and set chapter point markers which will seamlessly be integrated into the MPEG-2 encoding, which uses the TMPGenc engine in the background, and imports into DVDWS which is already bundled with VT.

Wow what a concept, to be able to edit, encode to MPEG-2 and create a DVD so people can actually watch the video without having to use workarounds and complicated procedures!

Tom Wood
07-06-2007, 06:01 PM
I hate third party plug-ins, just on principle. Well, also because I'm technically inept whilst working in a very technical environment, so things usually crap out on me during the freaking install. :D So I configure my DVD chapters to cut to a place where it's not noticeable. The very thought of point and click chapters sounds......nah...too pie in the sky. :)

SBowie
07-06-2007, 06:02 PM

Please put FEATURE in the subject header, and explain what you'd like added in the future, and how it will help you. Or, put it here:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=231

Thalek
07-06-2007, 06:25 PM
Sounds like I need to do a bit of research, and then write a report.

Thanks, guys!

Seti Orion
07-07-2007, 07:17 PM
I made a post right here

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70947

This is a much needed feature we used to have.

please add your support for this feature

ps If it is not broke dont fix it

wvp
07-08-2007, 09:25 AM
...Once upon a time, a long time ago, a programmer came up with the best MPEG-2 encoder for the money that could be found ANYWHERE else for anywhere near that price. ... TMPGEnc is simply that good.
Not wanting to hijack the thread but curious what you think is better (quality wise) than TMPGEnc (obviously more expensive though). Would that be ProCoder?

Or, put it here: http://www.newtek.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=231
Note that posting there is not the "Official" way to notify Newtek. The best way is to use the link in the SE program menu.

SBowie
07-08-2007, 09:30 AM
Note that posting there is not the "Official" way to notify Newtek. The best way is to use the link in the SE program menu.Or do both (the forum is useful, imho, because it lets others remark on the notion suggested, pro and con.

wvp
07-08-2007, 09:34 AM
Or do both (the forum is useful, imho, because it lets others remark on the notion suggested, pro and con.
:agree:

Jim_C
07-08-2007, 11:18 AM
Not wanting to hijack the thread but curious what you think is better (quality wise) than TMPGEnc (obviously more expensive though). Would that be ProCoder?

CCE (Cinema Craft Encoder) is a really nice encoder, and really fast.
And the basic version is only 60 bucks.
I believe the top $$ version is the one used to do many Hollywoood movies.

Here so a nice shoot out of encoders. Although a couple years old, it has a nice convo following it also
http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=255200

wvp
07-08-2007, 12:06 PM
Since I don't want to hijack and this will undoubably lead to much discussion, please see this thread http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=565893#post565893