PDA

View Full Version : LightWave Freedom

Wickster
07-05-2007, 10:53 AM
Hi folks, I just bought the ridiculously priced HD-DVD Anime, Freedom. Well I paid $29.99 at my local Fry's Electronics store here, whereas its selling for $39.99 everywhere else. Here's the more ridiculous part...its only a 30minute episode for the whole HD-DVD disc.

Let me get a bit technical on it first though before I get to the good stuff. If you haven't been keeping up with the HD Format war news (which I'm really ticked off about because I had to buy 2 HD Players, Blu-Ray and HD-DVD), well Freedom is the first ever Anime to be out in HD. Another reason why I think Freedom costs as much as it does is that it is also the first Triple layer HD-DVD Twin format disc. Meaning, It looks like a regular HD disc with printed cover on the top, but put it in your HD-DVD drive and it plays Hi-Def but put it on your regular DVD player and it plays Standard Def...It's a 2 disc in one...without flipping it over...I hope the future goes this way so companies wouldn't have to release standard DVDs and its HD counterparts.

If you're one of those who liked Akira, well you're going to love Freedom...they are both eerily similar, I mean its the same character designer with almost the same concept of rising motorcycles. But wow, watching this in HD was just amazing in my opinion and I'm only watching it on a 720P HDTV, I can't imagine watching it on full 1080P. The colors are solid, vivid and just the way it moves in HD makes this episode scream "PLAY ME AT THE STORE AS A DEMO!!!" and I'm sure it'll get some people to buy. Though I still don't recommend paying $39.99 for a 30min episode, I did but I'm a movie fanatic. I wish I can give you guys a full res screen snapshot, but I don't have an HD Drive for my computer.

Anyway, 30minutes onto the episode I was watching the credits, well I was so glad to see the NewTek logo on there...awesome. I have read somewhere that it was animated in LightWave but I'm really glad it was done beautifully. I'd love to see NewTek do a profile on this series, It was just beautiful, I think this series is one of those movies/show that makes LightWave shine. Please NT, make a profile for this series...maybe even get rights to show at SIGGRAPH. You really need to show this to people. Yay LightWave!!!

Bog
07-06-2007, 06:52 AM
Mmm. When there's stuff like this, it makes the marketting tart in me want to jump and scream that it should be right there, bang-slap-fart in the middle of the NT showreel.

Make a noise, boys :)

mattclary
07-06-2007, 08:17 AM
No way in he11 I'm paying $30 for a 30 minute program. I'm not touching any of the HD formats until they drop significantly in price, both players and media. It's just ridiculous.

voriax
07-06-2007, 09:03 AM
To be fair, every Blu-Ray movie i've seen for sale has been pretty much equally priced to a new release DVD. Quite common for anime and other rare movies to be more expensive than everyday dvd's, so the same would go for Blu-Ray and HD-DVD..

Wickster
07-06-2007, 01:10 PM
No way in he11 I'm paying $30 for a 30 minute program. I'm not touching any of the HD formats until they drop significantly in price, both players and media. It's just ridiculous.
Well, I couldn't agree more with you on there, except I'm a sucker for sci-fi, anime, action films. I "HATE" the format war. What's even more worse is that Studios like Disney, Universal and FOX are freakin choosing sides!!! What the Hekk??? I think they lost their main focus on providing entertainment to the masses. It's a silly silly war, it's uneven and it's expensive and I'm sucker for joining in. :(

But Freedom Rocks though. :rock:

Wickster
07-06-2007, 01:11 PM
To be fair, every Blu-Ray movie i've seen for sale has been pretty much equally priced to a new release DVD. Quite common for anime and other rare movies to be more expensive than everyday dvd's, so the same would go for Blu-Ray and HD-DVD..
A long known Anime Otaku saying goes pretty well with this:

"Anime. Crack is cheaper."

mattclary
07-06-2007, 01:30 PM
The EU is questioning why the studios are all going with a less penetrated, more costly format...

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070703-european-commission-to-hollywood-why-is-blu-ray-winning.html

cresshead
07-06-2007, 08:56 PM
hdvd and blue ray are only a gap filler...they won't last...spinning bits of plastic with an electric motor is 90's....the SIZE of the frame will last but the delivery medium won't.

give it 3-5 years and your film collection will be available on static rom/ram cards and available via download.

things like sdcards for psp and the 4-8gb ipods and iphones will drive the price down and the capacity up...and films will be on rom not ram
which is waay cheaper.

KevinL
07-06-2007, 10:12 PM
I just had my watermark moment.... I am officially an old fart :)

As I thought about the format wars it didn't incite me, it didn't excite me. It just tired me. More and more I just want to use stuff, get results and forget the rest of it.

Ouch, I felt an ache in my sacroiliac.....

Have fun,
Kevin

ShawnStovall
07-06-2007, 10:32 PM
I just had my watermark moment.... I am officially an old fart :)

As I thought about the format wars it didn't incite me, it didn't excite me. It just tired me. More and more I just want to use stuff, get results and forget the rest of it.

Ouch, I felt an ache in my sacroiliac.....

Have fun,
Kevin

Thanks for the heads up.;)

No HD for me, we here at my house are still using VHS and a 20 inch tube that is about 20 years old...

Wickster
07-06-2007, 10:34 PM
Maybe true about the download delivery content but there is still this sensation in some of us who wants something to hold on to and something to collect. I easily lose things I download. I'd burn them to a hard media like a DVD-R but i'd lose those too, due to poor organizing skills.

I might accept the SD card media a little better if they came with pretty matchbox-sized art boxes to hold them...actually, that doesn't sound too bad, having your whole collection of hundred of movies in a shoebox.

ShawnStovall
07-06-2007, 10:36 PM
Maybe true about the download delivery content but there is still this sensation in some of us who wants something to hold on to and something to collect. I easily lose things I download. I'd burn them to a hard media like a DVD-R but i'd lose those too, due to poor organizing skills.

I might accept the SD card media a little better if they came with pretty matchbox-sized art boxes to hold them...actually, that doesn't sound too bad, having your whole collection of hundred of movies in a shoebox.

Is that really my future? YAY!!:D

JamesCurtis
07-07-2007, 01:03 PM
Here's a thought.

The only problem I can see with SD cards containing whole movies is that an electrostatic charge might be able to scramble the data and be unreadable. I'm not sure if any memory is immune to electrostatics.

DVD's/HDDVD/Blu-ray discs can get scratched too, I know! There really is no permanent method to keep things forever. Besides, developement has to continue so that there will always be something to spark buying.

I have 250+ movies/shows on DVD right now.

BTW, I still have about 150 Laserdiscs in my collection [and 2 players] because in no way would I ever buy what I already have, and some of the stuff on them will probably never go to DVD.

Me and the wife are getting a 32" HD LCDTV this week. That's the biggest size we can fit in our current entertainment center.

Will get Freedom sometime when I get a chance too.

Wickster
07-07-2007, 09:03 PM
Watched this again earlier today, paying close attention to the 3d/CG pre-render/animatic??? special features. I gotta say, I thought the characters were hand drawn and thought the vehicles and environment were the only CG elements, but it looks like the characters were CG too. That is some amazing cel-shading...wow.

If you have an HD-DVD player I suggest you rent this or find someone willing to sell for cheap. I still don't think its worth $39 for 30mins worth of animation but it is something to see though.

I still don't have ways to givve you guys screenshots but here is a streaming link to the original pilot:
http://stream.dmap.jp/brand/fdp/prologue/p_360sec_500k_400.wmv

Wickster
07-07-2007, 09:17 PM
Check the attached credit snapshot out.

NT should really show this on SIGGRAPH.