PDA

View Full Version : FPrime issues!

sean hargreaves
07-05-2007, 10:25 AM
Guys, I downloaded FPrime, and its great, but there are a few issues I found out in my render tests where I set up simple spheres on a surface lighting setup. Are these problems native to FPrime?

1) I can't initiate Depth of Field (I was in LW camera properties)
2) I can't initiate soft shadows ( I was in LW light properties using shadow map)
3) Furniture I downloaded from e-interiors.net were rendered completely black, and even when I altered the colors of the surfaces, they still were black (the LW native renderer had none of these problems as I cross checked)

What, pray tell is happening, am I missing something? :confused:

Beau_M
07-05-2007, 10:37 AM
I was just reading up on what FPrime can and can't do yesterday.

This should answer all your questions;
http://www.worley.com/E/Products/fprime/man_limitations.html

Andy Webb
07-05-2007, 10:38 AM
You shouldn't have a problem with depth of field, just did a job with FPrime and depth of field and it worked fine.

Check you have depth of field checked in the Master Plugin.

You can't use shadow maps with FPrime only ray traced, I'm afraid if you want soft shadows you will need to use area lights.

With regards to the problems with your models rendering wrong, I'm afraid I can't help there, could be flipped polygon normals perhaps.

I would check the mesh for problems, what texture\materials are you using?
Come to think of it, it might just be your shadow maps, use ray traced and see if that works.

Andy

Bytehawk
07-05-2007, 10:45 AM
dof is only in the renderer, not in the previewer.

Andy Webb
07-05-2007, 10:51 AM

Depth of field works just fine in the previewer. Just double checked and it's working fine here.

Panikos
07-05-2007, 10:51 AM

Wrong. DOF works in both. Its motion blur that works only in the renderer.

Panikos
07-05-2007, 10:53 AM
If you load alien formats like OBJ into LW, FPrime cant see them.
Its good to load these obj into Modeler, redefine the surfaces etc and save them as LWOs.

Finally load LWO into Layout and FPrime plays good :)

Bytehawk
07-05-2007, 10:53 AM
sorry, my mind is in a knot today. You're correct : mblur is the one not previewing

sean hargreaves
07-05-2007, 11:29 AM
Panikos, thats exactly what I did. Loaded into modeller, renamed surfaces, then saved and loaded into layout, and it worked, the furniture is'nt black now. Whew!
Also, DOF worked today, but i swear it did'nt yesterday.

Thanks for the tips!

All in all, the day is good > :D

Andyjaggy
07-05-2007, 01:23 PM
Just a little info on the DOF Sean. Make sure you model your objects according to real world scale. In other words don't make a 20 ft tall chair and a 5mm table, etc.... Lightwaves calculates DOF according to real world scale so that will really mess thing up and you'll end up using ridiculous values like .001 just to get eh DOF you want. If you model everything correctly you can use standard f-stops like 2.8, 4, 5.6, 8, 11 etc......

sean hargreaves
07-05-2007, 01:39 PM
Thats a really great point Andy, thanks! :thumbsup: :D

Captain Obvious
07-06-2007, 02:37 AM
Just a little info on the DOF Sean. Make sure you model your objects according to real world scale. In other words don't make a 20 ft tall chair and a 5mm table, etc.... Lightwaves calculates DOF according to real world scale so that will really mess thing up and you'll end up using ridiculous values like .001 just to get eh DOF you want. If you model everything correctly you can use standard f-stops like 2.8, 4, 5.6, 8, 11 etc......
Unless you scale up the aperture height as well! :p