PDA

View Full Version : Plg Uv Tools - Please Read Important!!!!

jat
07-05-2007, 08:04 AM
As you all know many of us have tried these tools and they are good tools but most times they crash. I sent an email to Dstorm and I was contacted by one of the great guys from Dstorm and maybe we can help them out by posting our experiences using the tools (all of them) and how effective they are for you and how far you've gotten using them. If you can also post on what type of meshes you tried using the tools on, system configuration, LW version etc. Thanks

StereoMike
07-05-2007, 08:47 AM
Some threads I found with searching for plg and crash.
If nobody should reply to this thread you could prolly PM the guys with the problems.

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56674&page=2&highlight=plg+crash
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59378&highlight=plg+crash

I hope they fix everything, thanks for your efforts,

mike

Dodgy
07-05-2007, 08:53 AM
Do they just want Mac crashes? Or can I support this effort, as a not-crashing windows PLG evangelist? They really are the best UV tools around.

Chilton
07-05-2007, 08:59 AM
I'd like to see those crash logs too, if people don't mind sending two copies.

[email protected]

...Just in case it's actually some bug on our part.

-Chilton

jat
07-05-2007, 09:00 AM
right now I have yet to hear back.....I just started the thread in case they go ahead and do some PLG spring cleaning ............I specifically am asking about the Mac version problems........we'll see what happens..........Mac heads keep your fingers crossed on this one :)

3dworks
07-05-2007, 09:38 AM
i'm using the poly reduction tool a lot, it works like a charm and i never got any crash yet... not used the rest of the suite very much, so the problems maybe are more on this other side.

btw., a UB version of PLG tools would be very sweet! :)

markus

v1u1ant
07-05-2007, 10:00 AM
*nodding* with my mac head

jat
07-05-2007, 10:38 AM
can you guys try using the make UV tool and let me know what happens....try it on a simple low poly mesh object and a higher res mesh like a character or something............................

j__
07-06-2007, 06:46 AM
This was the address I got from their site:

[email protected]

Sure lobby to get these working on the Mac. PLG Make UV edit and PLG Make UV (the main unwrapping ones) have just not been tested on a Mac at all.

http://newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68990

As a side-note, something else that wasn't mentioned as far as I recall when we talked about this last time was Blender.

And I'm only mentioning this because Blender has a similar UV thing and very fast but the problem there is Blender's integration with LW is pretty awful unfortunately. While you can certainly export objects with UVs to LW, if you're hoping to bring in an LWO into Blender, do some UV stuff and then export it again, then you're going to be in for some nasty surprises.

Namely, Blender will not preserve quads that are significantly non-planar (past some unknown threshold) as it pertains to imported geometry. It will by stealth, although they will look like quads in Blender, secretly convert them to triangles.

Don't ask me why, I've asked about it in the Blender forums, the guy was quite sympathetic but they just don't know what you're talking about.

The bottom line:

you can create non-planar geometry in Blender and export to LWO as quads.

you cannot import LWOs (or OBJs or anything) with non-planar (past some unknown threshold) quads into Blender and have it export it again as quads, it will export those non-planar quads as triangles (presumably because it imports them that way to begin with although confusingly within Blender they appear as quads)

jat
07-06-2007, 07:50 PM
Ok, so I had to resend an email because their server chewed it up and spit it on the spam heap. But, I stated the problems and even asked about the Universal version of the tools as well. Gotta wait now and see what happens.

dstorm
07-09-2007, 05:57 AM
Hello.

I would like to ask some questions.

Do these tools crash all the time with all tools even if you try to use
a simple geometry? all the time?

I had ported these plugins from Win to Mac, but could not re-write codes, because these codes do not belong to D-Storm. If there is any problem about porting, I can address this problem. However if it is not, I might unable to do it. Sorry :(

jat
07-09-2007, 07:59 AM
Hi Dstorm, thanks for posting. I have problems using the Make UV tool from PLG. Whenever I try to use this tool it crashes on simple and complicated meshes. I have even tried breaking up the objects into different parts to see if it would work. Most times it doesn't. Is there any way that you guys could ask the original author for permission this one time to access the code to see if there are any flaws? Do you have his email address so we can ask him as well? Thanks for your efforts.

j__
07-09-2007, 08:23 AM
Hi dstorm, thanks for taking an interest in this.

"Do these tools crash all the time with all tools even if you try to use
a simple geometry? all the time?"

No. PLG Make UV Edit and Make UV will work on something like a cube, perhaps a sphere or flattened sphere.

To echo what jat just said, pretty much any kind of other object you have made, like a character, or even part of a character, even a very simple section of a character is a guaranteed crash unfortunately..

Sometimes it will get say 30 % into making the UVs and then Modeler will just vanish, other times it will crash before that when you hit the make the UVs button.

Hope that is some help,

Perhaps you could let the author know about their status on the Mac, and perhaps he could get an opportunity to have a look himself as well?

Thanks again

Dodgy
07-09-2007, 08:41 AM
I've used the plugins on very complex objects and not had them crash, so this seems to be a mac thing.

j__
07-09-2007, 11:54 AM
"I've used the plugins on very complex objects and not had them crash, so this seems to be a mac thing."

Really, do ya think so ?

Man all along I thought we were in the PC forum, talking about the PC version that runs fine on that tasteful red and blue box from PC World with the blue neon stripe up the side which PC users think is like 'teh cool', from which the Mac ports derive.

I think it is safe to say we are discussing the Mac OS versions here in the Mac forum, just as we talked about them before (http://newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68990).

Andyjaggy
07-09-2007, 02:16 PM
"I've used the plugins on very complex objects and not had them crash, so this seems to be a mac thing."

Really, do ya think so ?

Man all along I thought we were in the PC forum, talking about the PC version that runs fine on that tasteful red and blue box from PC World with the blue neon stripe up the side which PC users think is like 'teh cool', from which the Mac ports derive.

I think it is safe to say we are discussing the Mac OS versions here in the Mac forum, just as we talked about them before (http://newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68990).

And that right there is the perfect example of why alot of people hate mac users.

anyway off topic. sorry. Now I fear I have derailed this thread. Just ignore me.

colkai
07-10-2007, 02:17 AM
[i]
Really, do ya think so ?

Uncalled for tone there.
I think what Dodgy was trying to say, is that it works ok on a PC so rather than being a GLOBAL problem, which affects ALL operating systems, it is very much tied to the Mac version.
I have also given such statements in the past, in case, lo and behold, it ISN'T a Mac problem but a much deeper one.

I personally would welcome such clarification, after all, it does have an impact for Newtek on where to look to fix the bug yes?
Maybe you didn't realise, but Dodgy has always been a valuable member of the LW community and normally posts as helpfully as he possibly can. As a relatively new poster here, perchance you were not aware of his 'standing' and given some of the diatribe hereabouts lately, I can accept that may be the case.
:thumbsup:

j__
07-10-2007, 09:02 AM
Well I'm sorry people. Thanks for contributing on that Dodgy.

I think what Dodgy was trying to say, is that it works ok on a PC so rather than being a GLOBAL problem, which affects ALL operating systems, it is very much tied to the Mac version.

Sure, and respectfully I think we have pretty much established that and that's what this thread is about, it's what the previous thread on this topic was about and so on. By all accounts and the glowing feedback for some time, the Windows version works just great.

And Andy... I've got my own criticisms of many Mac users too.

Andyjaggy
07-10-2007, 09:20 AM
It's all good. It's really a bummer that it doesn't work on a mac. Especially since I am using them at work right now.

Andyjaggy
07-10-2007, 01:19 PM
Yep just tried it on the mac. It worked on pretty simple objects but anything even slightly complex and CRASH. That sucks.

dstorm
07-10-2007, 09:31 PM
I checked and confirmed that plg_make_uv crashed when using complex shape. There is no problem when I tried the same object under Windows.

The code is platform-independent, but uses a lot of STL. So it has possibilities that the behavior might be different between compilers of Win and Mac. I will check more, but I am sorry that reply might be late.

jat
07-11-2007, 05:21 AM
Harue

thanks again for looking at this, we appreciate it very much.

James

jat
07-11-2007, 07:15 AM
also wanted to say that if you need us to test anything to help you out please tell us.

jat
07-18-2007, 06:46 PM
so I finally found out who makes PLG tools.....drum roll.............................................. .oshihiro Itou. Dstorm was trying to get in contact wih this guy, haven't heard anything yet.

Newtek, get off your arses and get us some new, working, bug free, elegant tools to do some fast texturing....................you know what kills me, everyone says oh LW can do this and that....and I say, how about this analogy - instead of running around the block to get my newspaper I just open my door and get it - is that so hard!!!!!!!!!! I'm tired of running around the block with LW - worker smarter not harder NEWTEK!!!!!!!!!

Sensei
07-19-2007, 10:29 AM
Newtek, get off your arses and get us some new, working, bug free, elegant tools to do some fast texturing....................you know what kills me, everyone says oh LW can do this and that....and I say, how about this analogy - instead of running around the block to get my newspaper I just open my door and get it - is that so hard!!!!!!!!!! I'm tired of running around the block with LW - worker smarter not harder NEWTEK!!!!!!!!!

Writing such UV unwrapper from scratch is a couple months of development.. And NewTek has just 10 programmers or so.. It would lock the one, the most experienced in Modeler tools person for months doing one task..

jat
07-24-2007, 06:24 AM
alright,so some some bad news..........I was told by Harue at Dstorm that the PLG developer cannot update his code because of a few factors. Also it will be a while before Dstorm can look at the PLG more closely. I thank them for their time but it seems like Mac users are out of luck again..what else is new!!!!!!

martin.s
09-01-2007, 07:34 PM
this is a mac thing imho because I consider those plugs to be a rock and all of the other people arond me (10-25) do as well. 2 quads that share two edges is the only consistant curve ball I know of.

gerry_g
09-04-2007, 12:59 PM
As a Mac user I knew as every other Mac user knows from day one that I would face more obstacles than PC users when it came to software choice, if you need a good pelt tool right now this minuet there are three choices Modo201/301, BodyPaint Release3, or Silo............oh, you don't have any of these, well that's your problem nobody else's, if you wanted free or a wider choice you should have bought a PC, quit griping for chrssake

jat
09-04-2007, 03:26 PM
better yet, send your griping to the LW feature request thread about UV's... :)

Titus
09-04-2007, 06:19 PM
choices Modo201/301, BodyPaint Release3, or Silo............oh, you don't have any of these, well that's your problem nobody else's,

Blender is free and supports pelting, maybe mac users have a chance.

Andyjaggy
09-06-2007, 08:38 AM
Lightwave, a new plugin for Blender 3D.

3dworks
02-11-2008, 07:23 AM
i was just wondering if there any news about a UB port of those tools...? recently, i've sold my last PPC G5, so now i'm starting to miss those, really! btw. their polygon reduction tool was also one of the best i've ever used, qemloos3 isn't on the same level and has less options.

markus

JeffrySG
02-11-2008, 10:51 AM
Blender is free and supports pelting, maybe mac users have a chance.
Steve Warner has a nice video that shows how to unwrap LW models using Blender's uv tools... pretty cool and free option....
http://www.stevewarner.com/html/uv_unwrapping.html

J

JeffrySG
02-11-2008, 12:58 PM
And I agree Markus! UB versions of these UV tools would be great!

jwiede
08-31-2008, 11:29 AM
I'd so pay real money for UB versions of the PLG IK & UV tools. From the sounds of it, though, given the apparent problems to even fix existing code, getting the guy to rewrite for UB is even less feasible.

Oh well, I've got Modo so I can work around it. OTOH, since I'm already in Modo...