PDA

View Full Version : VT and MXF

roybast
07-05-2007, 07:09 AM
I have not posted for a while, but I have been working with my HVX-200 on various projects. Camera shoots well, very flexible with it's multiple settings etc. BUT...you knew there was a but coming didn't you!!
Editing is a bit of a nightmare.
I have had to employ the following method: - a) copy CONTENTS to HDD, b) Raylight convert to AVI, c) edit. All this takes up valuable time and really should not be necessary.
Yes, I can copy the files to HDD and edit with them directly, again BUT...in the MXF file structure the video and audio files are sparate and cannot, as far as I can see be relocked back together when they are on the timeline because VT does not recognise the Clips information in the Contents folder.
Any ideas chaps?

ted
07-05-2007, 11:08 AM
Yes, you should get SpeedEDIT.
I can finally say that SE supports DVC .mxf files. YAAAAAAAAYYYYYY!!!!!! :D

The Raylight, after effects, .avi process can go to heII forever!
Long live SpeedEDIT!

svbell
07-05-2007, 11:37 AM
That's great news Ted! For my last feature film I did exactly what Roybast did, converting MXFs thru Raylight...

sv

roybast
07-05-2007, 11:39 AM
Yes...indeed thats a great idea!!! If Newtek could now be persuaded to send a free copy of Speededit to us long suffering and poor VT users in the UK, that would also be a great idea.
Not going to happen is it....so will there be an upgrade to incorporate MXF files (with Video and Audio locked together) directly as others have done? Again probably not...as Newtek seem to have lost their way with VT...see other threads regarding the many other 'wish list' items that have been put forward and not actually materialised.
Disheartened, Cynical...Me? No not a bit! I just wish that Newtek would actually finish a project off before chasing the vapourware of the future.
Thanks Ted for your reply.
Workarounds are OK...for now...but a solution from Newtek would be much appreciated.
Those of us who make our living from video production could then get on with it and without the stress that workarounds and the constant crashes bring.

ted
07-05-2007, 06:35 PM
...so will there be an upgrade to incorporate MXF files (with Video and Audio locked together) directly as others have done? Again probably not...

If you mean when you drag a video clip the audio comes with it...it's there. Not sure what you mean???

roybast
07-06-2007, 01:20 AM
The MXF file structure keeps the audio and video separate, the associative information for a given audio and video clip is held in the Clips file. On my system when I drag a video clip from the video folder ONLY the video is placed on the timeline the associated audio has to be dragged separately. It seems to me that VT should be updated to be able to recognize the Clips data so that when a video clip is placed on the timeline the associated audio, up to four separate tracks, is dragged on to the timeline along with the video.
If you put the whole CONTENTS folder on to the timeline, (it takes VT a bit of time to deal with this!!). VT will play the whole thing with the audio in the correct place, but of course VT is then treating the whole CONTENTS folder as a single clip which defeats the object, but the above serves as an illustration to show that VT can handle ALL the data at once.
Now what needs to be done is make VT do the same thing but with each individual clip just as would happen with .AVIs or .RTVs. If, as you say "it's there" please let me know how you do it.