PDA

View Full Version : Exporting animated Character to DirectX with LW9.0

Dirk
07-05-2007, 06:03 AM
Hi all,

I installed the Dstorm DirectX exporter (v.1.3.2), and tried to export an animated character (bones, weightmaps, baked IK). The character should work; I exported him already with LW7.5.

I can export the character, it shows up in the viewer - but I cannot export the animation... I fact, the export animation button is greyed out in the exporter window, same as all options in the animation tab.

can somebody give me a hint what's wrong?

Dirk
07-05-2007, 09:16 AM
I've made a small test, it's in the attached zip.

Just two bones and a box with 2 weightmaps, some keyframes, it exports, but without animation....

Dirk
07-06-2007, 06:19 AM
Does anybody know another way to export an animated, UV textured character with bones (weightmap only) to DIrectX?

omeone
07-06-2007, 07:00 AM
Hi Dirk,
Have you tried Deep Exploration / Acrobat 3D? iirc it will 'snap' whatever LightWave's viewport is displaying and convert to DirectX. 30 day fully functional trial available, it's supposed to do animation as well, but I didn't get it working (didn't try too hard either :D )

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat3d/

Dirk
07-07-2007, 09:30 AM
what about fbx? Does anybody know if there is a converter from fbx to directX?

T-Light
09-15-2007, 11:57 AM
Old thread, been working on this very problem today so thought I'd better answer here in case anyone else comes a lookin'.

The plugin needs to be setup to work under the menu
File >
Import/Export >

Anywhere else won't work properly and you get the greyed out animation options. I'd made it a button under utilities and I'd been at it all day trying to figure out why the darned thing wouldn't work!