PDA

View Full Version : Weight help!

ben martin
07-05-2007, 05:33 AM
Hi,

I'm new to weight map but I'm weighting a mesh (human character) to rig.
I mainly use the modeler command "NEW WEIGHT MAP" to define the mesh parts weight name and value.

Simple question:
Is it possible, beside the Name and Value, to define (for display purposes) in Weight Shade mode, different colours to the different created weights?
If yes, how?

This question reason is simple: when I'm defining the weight values to contiguous mesh areas but using different values I never know (looking to the weight shade display) where one area is finishing and where the other is starting / borders since red shades are used to all the weight areas.

I believe that something like the attached image would be gold over blue, but unfortunately the modeler "NEW WEIGHT MAP" command does not allow a color to be defined… simple and effective but not available, or am I missing something?

Thanks for your time.

Sensei
07-05-2007, 08:33 AM
No possible. Weight is single value, not RGB color. IMHO it's serious lack that it's impossible to see multiple weight maps at a time..

Dodgy
07-05-2007, 08:49 AM
If you open the vertex map window, you can multi select up to 4 weight maps to see how they affect each other.

I prefer to do this in vertex paint though as you can rotate your fingers to see the effects.

dpont
07-05-2007, 08:55 AM
Yes, VertexPaint was exactly what I tried, you need the skelegon
inside the layer or LoadBones from DStorm, if it is a scene skeleton.

Denis.

SplineGod
07-05-2007, 10:02 AM
Hey Ben, Unless you have an absolutely overwhelmping reason to use weight maps I would setup your character with bones first, rest them and then run it thru some deformation tests before resorting to weight maps. You may find that you dont need them esp since weight mapping a hand can become quite tedious.

ben martin
07-05-2007, 10:44 AM
I'll try it only with bones but I'm not that sure it'll solve all problems... nevertheless; surly you have done those kinds of things for a long time now and must know all about it!

Thanks for the tip. :thumbsup:

Surrealist.
07-05-2007, 05:28 PM
Hi,

I'm new to weight map but I'm weighting a mesh (human character) to rig.
I mainly use the modeler command "NEW WEIGHT MAP" to define the mesh parts weight name and value.

Simple question:
Is it possible, beside the Name and Value, to define (for display purposes) in Weight Shade mode, different colours to the different created weights?
If yes, how?

This question reason is simple: when I'm defining the weight values to contiguous mesh areas but using different values I never know (looking to the weight shade display) where one area is finishing and where the other is starting / borders since red shades are used to all the weight areas.

I believe that something like the attached image would be gold over blue, but unfortunately the modeler "NEW WEIGHT MAP" command does not allow a color to be defined… simple and effective but not available, or am I missing something?

Thanks for your time.

It is a good idea use Bone Weights or New Map only to create maps for later editing with Set Map Value.

When doing point weighing you don't want to rely on color.

You need to see the exact value of each point. The reason for this is that you can only have a value of 100% total point weight on a given point. True there is normalize map in VPaint and a Button in the Bones panel to activate normalizing maps (rounding everything to 100%) but you don't want to rely on that in my opinion just a good thing to have as a catch-all in case you make mistakes.

What you want to do it have your map fade off from 100 to 0%. And the next map fade in from 0 - 100%. There are tools to automate this process but they will not give you accurate results. It is more reliable to do it by hand ring by ring with the Set Map Value tool.

So one ring would have a map value of 100% Bone 1 and 0% Bone 2 then the next ring, 90% Bone 1 and 10 % bone 2 and so on getting more complex as you have more Bones to influence and thus maps, so you can have 3 maps on one set of points or on one point.

If you get lost you can check the value or a point with the point info panel.

Yes. Very tedious. But that is how point weighting is done.

No matter what method you use you will be tweaking a lot to get the deformations the way you want. And SG is right - over all much faster using just bones. But you have to understand how all that works too.

SplineGod
07-05-2007, 06:59 PM
I'll try it only with bones but I'm not that sure it'll solve all problems... nevertheless; surly you have done those kinds of things for a long time now and must know all about it!

Thanks for the tip. :thumbsup:

Heres the order that I tend to do things in:
1. Create the basic bones
2. Rest them and test deformations
3. Add hold bones to fix undesireable deformations
4. Add weight maps where hold bones arent working. Keep them as simple as possible. For example one weight map can be used on both arms and all the bones in each arm can be assigned to that one weight map.

Posing the character in model so that you anticipate any bone cross influence can help eliminate problems up front and reduce the need for weight maps.

ben martin
07-06-2007, 03:25 AM
You guys rock!
Thank you very much for the tips and explanations.
It's this kind of attitudes that make forums great instead of some senseless flame wars!
Keep on the positive attitude and congratulations for such, much appreciated!
:thumbsup:

SplineGod
07-06-2007, 08:22 AM
Check out this:
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/shoulder_rig.mov

ben martin
07-06-2007, 12:22 PM
Wow, awesome!

Thank you very much!
This indeed demonstrates perfectly what you were talking about early!

Going to try it! :hey: