PDA

View Full Version : Golden Compass trailer

Mr Rid
07-05-2007, 05:19 AM
http://www.apple.com/trailers/newline/thegoldencompass/

http://www.goldencompassmovie.com/
click on 'About The Film' then 'Behind The Scenes' for another trailer.

Captain Obvious
07-05-2007, 05:56 AM
Neat :)

archijam
07-05-2007, 06:32 AM
Looks really nice.

Not sure about the spinning ring at the beginning of the preview...

.. but I guess that was the PR people.

What was your involvement?

j.

Bytehawk
07-05-2007, 06:35 AM
sure does look great. Nice concept, great buildings.

Mr Rid
10-09-2007, 09:24 PM
http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/thegoldencompass.html?showVideo=1

Iain
10-12-2007, 04:06 AM
It's not a compass! It's an ALETHIOMETER!!!!!!
Bloody Hollywood halfwits!

Ahem.

Apart from that it looks fantastic. :)

3DGFXStudios
10-12-2007, 04:28 AM
did they use lightwave for the FX?

Captain Obvious
10-12-2007, 05:53 AM
It's not a compass! It's an ALETHIOMETER!!!!!!
Bloody Hollywood halfwits!

Ahem.

Apart from that it looks fantastic. :)
What? The name of the book "The Golden Compass," is it not?

Iain
10-12-2007, 06:54 AM
It was in America but it was originally published as The Northern Lights.

Ridiculous really because it isn't a compass and is never referred to as such in any of the books.

Iain
10-12-2007, 07:46 AM
I should add that it was the publishers who changed the title, not the author.

What gives people the arrogance to suggest something like that? Pullman probably put a lot of thought into a title that was right for his book just to have it replaced with something 'catchier'.

Dumbing down for the sake of it. Makes my blood boil.

Captain Obvious
10-12-2007, 11:28 AM
The name for the swedish release was "the Golden Compass" as well (except in Swedish, obviously). "We" typically don't dumb things down...

Iain
10-12-2007, 01:23 PM
I just don't get it. "Northern Lights" has major relevance to the story. "Golden Compass" has none.
If it had been renamed "The Alethiometer", that wouldn't have made sense either as the book isn't about the alethiometer. The trilogy was originally to be called, I think, The Three Compasses but that had nothing to do with the alethiometer. It was drafting compasses, not directional ones.

I know I'm being very geeky but these books are going to be remembered as important and for someone to interfere with them like that is appalling.

Mr Rid
10-12-2007, 04:44 PM
did they use lightwave for the FX?

...you're kidding, right.

Mr Rid
10-12-2007, 04:53 PM
I should add that it was the publishers who changed the title, not the author.

What gives people the arrogance to suggest something like that? Pullman probably put a lot of thought into a title that was right for his book just to have it replaced with something 'catchier'.

Dumbing down for the sake of it. Makes my blood boil.

Am sure that even more watering down will occur with the movie(s).

BeeVee
10-15-2007, 06:31 AM
...it doesn't even refer to that sort of compass... :rolleyes:

B

BeeVee
10-30-2007, 07:21 AM
And the final trailer is even worse. Gone is all mention of an alethiometer and now Golden Compass takes pride of place. Pullman referred to a Golden Compass as the title for the three books (not just the first one) and it refers to the compass used for geometry, not the one used to find points between N, W, S and E... Here's an example of what I mean. (http://images.google.fr/images?q=geometry+compass&btnG=Search+Images&svnum=30&um=1&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial)

B

Mr Rid
11-04-2007, 12:53 AM
Dare I even mention the whole 'killing of God' bent in the books that already has the bible-thumpers franticly thumping. 'An anti-God Christmas movie?!' Am not sure what the producers were thinking would happen with the author having such a anti-religion/Narnia rep.

"My books are about killing God." -Philip Pullman.

Cageman
11-04-2007, 04:44 PM
...you're kidding, right.

It's listed at NT-Europe projectslist. Wonder what involvement it may have had... ? Previs maybe?

Chris S. (Fez)
11-04-2007, 05:13 PM
I know I'm being very geeky but these books are going to be remembered as important and for someone to interfere with them like that is appalling.

I totally agree but, thinking purely in terms of marketing to the masses, I think Golden Compass might sound more romantic and mysterious.

Though "Northern Lights" also ranks pretty high on the the romantic meter...

BeeVee
11-05-2007, 02:32 AM
If it was called Golden Compass and showed the geometric instrument, then it would be right, but to conflate the title Golden Compass with the Alethiometer is just wrong. Worse yet that they refer to the alethiometer as a golden compass bleuurgh. As to what LightWave was used for in the film, modelling mainly.

B

meathead
11-05-2007, 01:32 PM
I have watched many trailers of this movie yesterday. They ran them all day during (American) Football games.

While I am excited to see it, it so wants to be Lord of the Rings, the CGI doesn't appear as good as LOR.

The giant polar bear, for example, featured in every trailer is not Golem good.

The church trying to stop this is laughable...yeah, that worked very well for the Davinci Code didn't it? (made over $750 mill worlwide- not counting DVD sales).

Anti-religious slant will be removed anyways (from wikiped):
Director Weitz said "in the books the Magisterium is a version of the Catholic Church gone wildly astray from its roots" but that the organization portrayed in his film would not directly match that of Pullman's books. In an attempt to avoid a religious backlash, the Magisterium will instead be a critique of all dogmatic organizations.

starbase1
11-06-2007, 03:18 AM
Ah well, there are sillier changes...

I am thinking of "The madness of George III" which was renamed to stop american audiuences thinking they had missed the first two, and therefore would not go to see a 'sequel'.

Or the request to add some conventional love interest to the Oscar Wilde biopic.

Oh, and while I am at it, the Pullman books are utterly cute cuddly and fluffy compared to the catholic church's blood and torture soaked history.

Mr Rid
11-08-2007, 06:42 PM
It's listed at NT-Europe projectslist. Wonder what involvement it may have had... ? Previs maybe?

Lightwave grazes a lot of productions just for modeling.

Mr Rid
11-08-2007, 07:01 PM
The giant polar bear, for example, featured in every trailer is not Golem good.

Although the polar bear appears much more complicated than Golem- consider the fur and the biped nature that is not mocapped or performance-driven as Golem.

Anti-religious slant will be removed anyways (from wikiped):
Director Weitz said ...

That wont matter to the thumpers. Pullman's specifically anti-Chrisitian rep is enough reason for them to boycott. I knew a member of a church where all of the church was boycotting The Pianist after hearing that the director had sex with a 13 year old. Doesnt matter what the movie was about.

I tried to talk to Christians protesting at a screening of the Last Temptation of Christ where the issues they had with the content of the film were not actually depicted in the film, and not one of them had even seen the movie. Puritan pressure succussfully squashed the 'art' film, even after it was screened for a board of bishops and clergy who unanimously agreed there was nothing blasphemous about the movie and even commented that it was faith assuring. Witch-burning will just never go out of style.

HowardM
11-30-2007, 05:28 AM
Lightwave grazes a lot of productions just for modeling.

A couple mates who work for Framestore used LW to model some bits like armour...
Sad the movies gotten such bad reviews... ah well im sure it will be fun to see the FX...

Mr Rid
11-30-2007, 09:08 PM
A couple mates who work for Framestore used LW to model some bits like armour...

R&H used all proprietary software.

Sad the movies gotten such bad reviews...

All the comments on Rotten and IMDB are very positive except one. A friend saw it and said they liked it alot.