PDA

View Full Version : Question about SATA-2 Raid Controller cards and drives

wtdedula
07-05-2007, 04:28 AM
Hello All;
I have a number of questions about a Raid Controller and drives for a new ASUS P5WDG2-WS PRO motherboard.

1) I just purchased a ASUS P5WDG2-WS PRO motherboard as the bases for a VT3/VT-5 system. I also purchased a Rack enclosure that is a short depth so that isn't so heavy I can't remove it by myself. The problem is that the Rack enclosure doesn't accommodate more than 1 internal drive bay. This board has a ton of SATA-2 channels and I think only one E-Sata external connection.

Would you recommend a PCI-X SATA-2 drive controller as well as a multi-drive SATA-2 external drive bay as the basis for a VT3/VT-5 system ? If so, do you have recommendations for a reliable source for both that is reasonably priced ?

2) I have had a bad experience about a year ago where I had a 4-drive EIDE RADE array and one drive developed some bad sectors causing me to lose the data across all four drives. Can you recommend a plan for eliminating this disappointment again with a new set of drives either through striping, backing up, etc ?

Thanks much for any advice you can provide.

Tim

wvp
07-10-2007, 08:14 PM
...2) I have had a bad experience about a year ago where I had a 4-drive EIDE RADE array and one drive developed some bad sectors causing me to lose the data across all four drives. Can you recommend a plan for eliminating this disappointment again with a new set of drives either through striping, backing up, etc ? Tim
I think the best solution (and one we just implemented) is to use 8 SATA drives. You set them up as a Raid 10 (a 4 drive Raid0 + a 4 drive Raid0) - this gives you Raid 0 performance with a mirror backup.

The downsides: If one drive goes south, you have no backup until you replace & rebuild the array. You need a hefty case/MB combo (typically with SAS) to connect all these drives AND likely a secondary controller card. We found out the hard way that the internal controller only supports up to 2TB (total). There may be an external SAS enclosure/cable combo instead.

Next best solution would be a Raid 5 using 4+ drives (the more the better).