PDA

View Full Version : Thickener

ige
07-04-2007, 12:42 PM
I added Thickener.Isc to LW9,2. But when using it, LW crashed. I then downloaded from Flay Blochi Thickener3, but same result. LW crashes. How do I solve this problem?

SplineGod
07-04-2007, 02:04 PM
I usually flip the polys, copy them, flip them back, smooth scale, paste and merge.

Andyjaggy
07-04-2007, 02:11 PM
Thickner has been a little iffy with 9.0 for me. It worked great before but now it's hit and miss. Do what splinegod said. It's basically the same thing. A few more steps but it works. I usually do the same thing but use multishift instead of smooth scale.

tribbles
07-04-2007, 03:16 PM
I find it a bit hit and miss too. Now, I save the file, thicken it; if it crashes reload it - and it normally works.

RonGC
07-04-2007, 03:38 PM
Thickener3 has been working perfectly for me through 9.2 and beyond(OB).
On a Mac g4 though.

Ron

Surrealist.
07-04-2007, 03:48 PM
There is also Thickener 3 (http://www.blochi.com/gfx/thickener_en.html). Not sure if you guys have that or not. I have heard there are problems with it too but I have not used it much.

But the thing about thickener is that it locks you into a smooth scale. Most times I don't want to scale my object I just want to extrude it. So I use Multishift instead, similar to Larry's method.

An example of the steps here (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63026&highlight=thickener).

Andyjaggy
07-04-2007, 04:06 PM
Multishift is the best thing ever. I couldn't live without that tool.

Surrealist.
07-04-2007, 04:22 PM
Sorry. What I meant was more like a point normal scale not smooth scale. I seemed to remember that that was what Thickener was doing but it is not. It is "extruding" just like a smooth scale operation or Multishift.

But Larry, don't you have to hit the e button somewhere in that sequence?

Otherwise you won't have an edge nor anything to merge.

And also I think it is the real-time feedback of multishift that is the attractive element as well as being able to save/load settings etc.

byte_fx
07-04-2007, 10:31 PM
try dstorm's thicken.

Andyjaggy
07-05-2007, 09:04 PM
Sorry. What I meant was more like a point normal scale not smooth scale. I seemed to remember that that was what Thickener was doing but it is not. It is "extruding" just like a smooth scale operation or Multishift.

But Larry, don't you have to hit the e button somewhere in that sequence?

Otherwise you won't have an edge nor anything to merge.

And also I think it is the real-time feedback of multishift that is the attractive element as well as being able to save/load settings etc.

Yes in a program where most tools are not interactive it is nice to have one that is.

ige
07-06-2007, 09:44 AM
I look at dStorms page to find Thicken plugin, but it was all in Japanese so I did not find it to download . (It was an English page there too, but no help there either).

byte_fx
07-06-2007, 09:46 AM
http://www.dstorm.co.jp/english/plugin/modeler.htm

byte_fx

Surrealist.
07-07-2007, 12:47 AM
Thanks for the link.

BTW Thickener 3 works for me in 9.2

Ratboy
07-09-2007, 01:05 PM
Thickener 3 works for me too.

RedBull
07-09-2007, 04:38 PM
http://www.dstorm.co.jp/english/plugin/modeler.htm

byte_fx

Yep Thickener.p from Dstorm, or even Glassworks...

UMThickener.lsc
Qthick.lsc (EKi's Mod Pak)

And about another 4 scripts and plugins which all do the same thing.

ige
07-11-2007, 03:55 AM
Same problem with DStorm Thicken as Thickener1/2/3. LW craches when I try to use it. Can there be some config.files making the trouble?? (I had it with LWCAD). Frustrateing ! Any good advices is wellcome!

Lewis
07-11-2007, 09:17 AM
Hi !

Must be your cofig files since my Thickener3 works in 9.2. Try to copy your *.cfg files to safe place before cleaning them and then add plugin to modeler and test.

zardoz
07-12-2007, 10:05 AM
this may sound stupid, but is Lightwave crashing right after you add the plugin? because when I add a plugin (any plugin) in modeler it crashes when I try to do anything.
I'm asking this only to clarify this. If you add a plugin in modeler and select for example the BOX tool and try to use it, modeler will probably crash.
If this is the case, add the plugin in Layout, close Layout (not needed if you have the hub open) open modeler and now edit your menus and place the plugin where you want it. Try to use it now.

Andyjaggy
07-12-2007, 10:35 AM
I had lightwave crashing when I added plugins, it turned out I had messed up config files. Try clearing those and see what happens.