PDA

View Full Version : SE Color Correction Tutorial

SBowie
07-04-2007, 09:47 AM
Another forum member was asking advice on color correcting a problem shot, involving on-screen talent with an 'overly rosy' complexion. Since it was going to take a little explaining, I thought I'd take the opportunity to prepare the discussion as a short tutorial.

http://www.vtworx.com/Resources/tutorial/se_cc/10-compare.jpg

You can find the result here: SpeedEDIT Color Correction Tutorial (http://www.vtworx.com/Resources/tutorial/se_cc/speededit_selective.html).

Hope it proves helpful. :)

ScorpioProd
07-04-2007, 10:03 AM
Very nice, Steve. :thumbsup:

cholo
07-04-2007, 04:32 PM
Hello,

Took a shot at it myself, since I'm a big fan of SpeedEDIT's color correction toolset. Hope you don't mind me posting it here. :)

SBowie
07-04-2007, 09:05 PM
Heheheh. Not at all, Cholo - she looks a little 'shiny' though! (Don't feel bad, in one of my attempts she looked like Louis Armstrong.) ;)

TWC
07-05-2007, 08:28 AM
Thanks for taking the time, Steve! It's truly appreciated.

Definitely above and beyond in my book. :thumbsup:

I'll let you know how it works out for a true novice. :)

Tammy

billmi
07-05-2007, 10:49 AM
Thanks Steve, for taking the time to go past a quick forum reply with that. Very helpful.

a33jete
07-05-2007, 03:16 PM
I thank you for this insight, I hope that someone will clear up Aux 1 and 2 correction as well, even the dealers seem to be lost, Looks as if muck confusion exists

JackJ
07-05-2007, 03:42 PM
Basically its the same thing used in the same way, just if you have a second or third or fourth color you need to correct on the same shot in addition to the main one. Selective control of up to 4 separate color ranges. They have to be used with caution though, or you could turn your videos colours into muck confusion. :)

SBowie
07-05-2007, 04:07 PM
That's correct. There are multiple layers of colour correction in SE. In this case, the AUX selections replicate the main options, permitting you to define a number of separate areas for adjustment. Of course, if the definitions overlap, you need to proceed with caution.

The manual says the following:

5.3.4.7 AUX Selective Color

The AUX 1, AUX 2 and AUX 3 section in the Control Tree expand to reveal full clones of the Main Selective Color just discussed. This permits you to apply spot control to as many as four separate zones, using Luma or Chroma masking as you see fit.

cholo
07-05-2007, 06:19 PM
Steve,

I was going for a more intense look. I could've better managed the highlights though :) On a side note, just today I realized my editing monitor's calibration was way off, so that's partly to blame. Kept getting solarized highlights so I turned the saturation on the high tones way down :) I just corrected the problem and ran a new round of Monaco on both monitors. I'll give it another shot if I get the chance later on.

JackJ
07-06-2007, 07:20 PM
Don't look in the manual, Steve! That's cheating! What kind of test would video editing be if you could just turn to the end of book and find all the answers?

P.S. Show your work.

SBowie
07-06-2007, 07:53 PM
That's cheating!Sorry. :foreheads

P.S. Show your work.errr .. huh?

JackJ
07-06-2007, 08:12 PM
Show your work, using graphs where appropriate. Oh, and I guess I forgot to mention...thanks for the tutorial!

SBowie
07-07-2007, 05:11 AM
Show your work, using graphs where appropriate. I thought I did 'show my work.' I must be getting old, because I still don't get it. Oh wait - I am getting old ... but I still don't get it.

Anyway, here's a nice graph :)

http://addictedtor.free.fr/graphiques/RGraphGallery.php?graph=141

JackJ
07-07-2007, 06:17 AM
Ooh...nice graph! Not much of "it" to get, really. Just continuing the 'no using the book' comment with more in the same absurdist vein, in the tradition of teachers giving test instructions (most notably for math courses, being the ones most likely to have answers to at least some of the problems in the back of the book, and where you have to show the step by step and not just the result).

Not in any way knocking your fine tutorial, but facetiously implying all video work should require similar tutorial creation so we'll know they did it the right way...could be educational, but it would make watching a movie an all-day event...and after the umpteenth tutorial on wire removal...

ixlor8
07-07-2007, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the tutorial.

Have you ever thought about writing a turorial manual on SpeedEDIT?

Barnes and Nobles and Borders have shelves of books for Adobe Premiere Pro.

Thanks for all your effort.

Rick

SBowie
07-07-2007, 06:01 PM
Have you ever thought about writing a turorial manual on SpeedEDIT?Oh, thanks, but heck -- writing the 'manual manual' was plenty of work already. :p

The difficulty with writing books is that by the time you're about half done, another release comes out and 1/3 of what you wrote is no longer true (and all the screenshots - actually quite time-consuming - have to be redone.)

BTW, that little 'tute' isn't really much different than the one already in the .pdf manual - the one with the trees. Actually, thinking about it, there are several examples in the manual, including this one that I did fooling around with a shot I took (somewhere near Causeway Bay) in Hong Kong .. apologies for the low res here.