PDA

View Full Version : 16:9 & VT???? output how?

williamb
07-04-2007, 12:04 AM
hi guys
for the first time i am digitizing from XDCAM and it was shot in 16:9

I have changed prefs to acept 16:9 but all video outputs are 4:3 and it...in capture settings when i choose PAL i can only choose PAL 720x576

On my 4:3 monitor, how can i see it as a letter box 16:9 rather than a stretched 4:3????

ScorpioProd
07-04-2007, 12:43 AM
The only thing changing that preference to 16:9 does is set your VT-Vision monitors on your computer screen to default to 16:9, that's it.

VT doesn't do any kind of real-time conversion of the aspect ratio of your video. Actually, you wouldn't want it to, since artificial letterboxing would be like thowing away 25% of your resolution.

Your monitor would need to have a 16:9 switch on it, if you want to see it letterboxed.

Realize, the resolution in 4:3 and 16:9 is the same, it's only a pixel aspect ratio issue.

Your best off just using the VT-Vision to see it in proper 16:9, and just use your real monitor to check color and interlace.

williamb
07-04-2007, 01:22 AM
thanks for that

I see the vision changes to 16:9 but when i dub it down to DVD (using a seperate component recorder) it goes to 4:3???

When i play that DVD in a computer or tv it plays 4:3

ScorpioProd
07-04-2007, 10:02 AM
Well, normally one would render out the MPEG-2 for the DVD as 16:9, then the DVD authoring program would know it is 16:9 and flag it accordingly when you author your DVD.

DVD players need to know what kind of monitor they are connected to and send either a letterboxed 16:9 to a 4:3 monitor or anamorphic 16:9 to a 16:9 monitor.

But when you send anamorphic 16:9 to a standalone DVD recorder as you describe, well... Unless there is a way to tell it your footage is 16:9, there's no way for it to know from the signal.

bbeanan
07-04-2007, 10:19 AM
It should be in the video set-up area of your DVD recorder. This problem has nothing to do with the VT system

billmi
07-05-2007, 05:58 AM
Yep, it's something that needs to be set in the DVD recorder, but I have never seen a setting for recording aspect ratio in consumer DVD recorders (maybe I just need to get out more.)

The recorder needs to be set to know that it is recording a 16:9 signal, so that it flags the MPEG file as 16:9 so that when the disk is played in a consumer player, that player letterboxes or not, depending on its playback aspect ratio settings.

williamb
07-05-2007, 01:57 PM
thanks all for you suggestions

Yes it appears that i need a DVD recorder that accepts 16:9 otherwise author it...my job was simple in that i had 5 XDCAM discs to be dumped to DVD uncut so no need to author...i ended up reduceing the size in control tree...

CHeers
William

billmi
07-06-2007, 05:55 AM
Well, if you are going to author, there's no point in letterboxing (reducing size in control tree.) When you render out the file you are going to use for authoring, make sure you have the 16:9 flag set, to create a 16:9 DVD. Then the letterboxing is handled by the DVD player - it will letterbox for 4:3 monitors, or not for widescreen monitors (assuming it is set up properly for the monitor to which it is connected.)