PDA

View Full Version : How can I make a luminous poly that actually casts light?

WARANGEL
07-03-2007, 06:50 PM
I've searched for "luminous polygon lightwave" and all I get are people using other packages talking about how they do it and how Lightwave can't. :bangwall: But I think it can be done in Lightwave. I just don't know how.

It's easy to make a polygon luminous in the surface window, and that makes it stand out in renders, but it doesn't actually cast light or illuminate other objects.

Maybe it's an obvious step I'm overlooking. How can I do it?

Thanks!

bloontz
07-03-2007, 06:56 PM
It will work if you activate global illumination in the render options. Then light cast by luminous objects is taken into account.

byte_fx
07-03-2007, 06:56 PM
in general set luminosity to 100% + and diffuse to zero.

Then use a global intensity - not backdrop only - lighting scheme.

check the manual to find out more info as it applies to your situation.

byte_fx

WARANGEL
07-03-2007, 07:09 PM
Good deal, I turned on radiosity and it did illuminate another object slightly. I found this amazing picture in the 9.2 gallery http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64176 and I'm amazed at how bright it is, when the creator said the luminous poly is the only light source. I cranked the luminosity up to 100% (won't go any higher) and only got a fraction of this light.

I'll RTFM :)

Thanks for the help!

bloontz
07-03-2007, 07:14 PM
You can go above 100% but you need to type the number you want. Don't be afraid to try some very large values to see what happens. That applies to many other lightwave settings also, such as many suface settings.

SBowie
07-03-2007, 07:15 PM
I cranked the luminosity up to 100% (won't go any higher) and only got a fraction of this light.Don't be too sure of that. Many input fields accept much higher values with direct numeric input.

WARANGEL
07-03-2007, 07:18 PM
Holy crap, you're right. That's what I get for being a conformist.

Thanks!

SplineGod
07-03-2007, 10:24 PM
LW has been able to do this for years. Im curious as to who was saying that LW cant do this.

Yog
07-04-2007, 01:30 AM
Im curious as to who was saying that LW cant do this.They are probably related to those people that say you can't be a generalist in Maya, of need to be able to script to do simple tasks. :p

byte_fx
07-04-2007, 02:10 AM
So WARANGEL -

the light dawns eh?

sorry - couldn't resist.

byte_fx

WARANGEL
07-04-2007, 06:39 AM
Indeed. And there's so much more I need to learn but I don't see covered in the manual too. I need a book or some good tutorials. I need to get smart with modeling as well as render techniques. In playing with dynamics you can scroll the fields way past 100 in most cases, so I just figured that if it stopped, that was it.

Yeah, seems like everywhere you go on the net there are people that feel like their program is so easy while getting Lightwave to do the simplest things is akin to working on strands of DNA with the naked eye.

Looking forward to getting more involved with this program.

SplineGod
07-04-2007, 11:01 AM
They are probably related to those people that say you can't be a generalist in Maya, of need to be able to script to do simple tasks. :p

Speaking from personal experience? :ohmy:

SplineGod
07-04-2007, 11:03 AM
Yeah, seems like everywhere you go on the net there are people that feel like their program is so easy while getting Lightwave to do the simplest things is akin to working on strands of DNA with the naked eye.

My experience has usually been the opposite. :)

bluerider
07-04-2007, 08:37 PM
I've searched for "luminous polygon lightwave" and all I get are people using other packages talking about how they do it and how Lightwave can't. :bangwall: But I think it can be done in Lightwave. I just don't know how.

It's easy to make a polygon luminous in the surface window, and that makes it stand out in renders, but it doesn't actually cast light or illuminate other objects.

Maybe it's an obvious step I'm overlooking. How can I do it?

Thanks!

It works perfectly in Lightwave, its simple to set up. Control the luminosity on a poly anywhere past 0 and depending on the radiosity percentage amount, you get some really nice lighting effects. I sometimes use luminosity textures on dome geometry for some nice effects.

bluerider
07-04-2007, 08:45 PM

Looking forward to getting more involved with this program.

Its actually about a four click process in LightWave to get lumionous poly's to get them casting light. It sounds like ignorance on behalf of users who use other packages and say that about LightWave.

I've had the privilage to work with scientist working on DNA, while I work on content for them. I can definately verify that getting the content built for the DNA scientist and getting luminous polys to cast light was definately easier than their particualr tasks.

What was interesting was that there was another chap working on the team using another package that is much more "talked about" and touted as the bees knees.

What was interesting was he never could get anything completed in time for our projects. I always did, pehaps it was just my bad Karma putting him off.

bluerider
07-04-2007, 08:50 PM
LW has been able to do this for years. Im curious as to who was saying that LW cant do this.

Maybe somebody using another package who takes longer and charges more to do the same thing, thats just a hypothesis of course.

SBowie
07-04-2007, 09:06 PM
Jeepers, Graham - just noticed your "Location" ... back in the Emerald Isle? Don't you owe me a beer? Man, you're really going to make me work for it, aren't you! ;)

SplineGod
07-04-2007, 09:50 PM
Maybe somebody using another package who takes longer and charges more to do the same thing, thats just a hypothesis of course.

Sounds like it. I guess some ppl assume that if its a pain in the arse in their 'high end' app that its got to be more difficult in another. Check out this thread for example: http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18903

bluerider
07-05-2007, 02:58 PM
Jeepers, Graham - just noticed your "Location" ... back in the Emerald Isle? Don't you owe me a beer? Man, you're really going to make me work for it, aren't you! ;)

I think the last time I saw you was in Vegas, at dinner with Molly and Dick.

I'll buy you a Newcastle brown, not that New World rubbish :D

bluerider
07-05-2007, 02:59 PM
Sounds like it. I guess some ppl assume that if its a pain in the arse in their 'high end' app that its got to be more difficult in another. Check out this thread for example: http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18903

Thanks for providing that link, most useful and insightful. :thumbsup:

SBowie
07-05-2007, 04:11 PM
I think the last time I saw you was in Vegas, at dinner with Molly and Dick.That rings a bell . Where does the time go!

I'll buy you a Newcastle brown, not that New World rubbish :DAah, now I'll trying to find an excuse for the trip in earnest. :D