PDA

View Full Version : Are there any good clothFX tutorials out there?

jeremyhughes77
07-03-2007, 09:55 AM
I have large chapters in books for cloth sims in maya and you can find stuff all over but for clothFX in Lightwave I can only find a couple pages in the manual and only a couple places online on how to use it. Does anyone know of any good tutorials out there? :help:

Dodgy
07-03-2007, 10:40 AM
I'm in the process of writing some fx tutorials on www.lightwiki.com (http://www.lightwiki.com/Tutorial_ideas look under dynamics) The first gives a basic understanding of it, hopefully I'll find time to write some more advanced ones too. If you need any help drop me a line....

Mike

jeremyhughes77
07-03-2007, 11:29 AM
That's awesome you're starting that Dodgy. It helps. I need one that is able to tell me how to properly put clothing on a person... if you're working on something like that :)

Dodgy
07-03-2007, 03:13 PM
Well read the pages. The key things are:

Don't use the actual cloth or body object to simulate on. Use proxies for both collision and cloth. I usually copy my body object, then cut off the bit like hands and head and feet, anything which aren't going to collide with the cloth object ever. Then merge points under say 5mm, as you aren't going to need that much detail probably.

For the cloth object, I make a new nice even mesh from quads, and make it roughly fit the clothes shape. I then use Background conform to make it match the proper clothing's shape.

I make the collision object use the bones from the animating object, and parent the Clothing to the proxy cloth, and apply Metalink deformer to the Clothing. This will make it follow the proxy's dynamics once you've done the simulation.

Have a look at the settings I use in Intro to clothfx, as those are pretty good for a start on cloth. You'll need to tweak to get the feel you want though.

Another useful tip is to Scale your proxy cloth and clothing larger in modeler (maybe 10 ot 50 times the size), then scale it down in Layout (you'll only need to scale down the proxy since the clothing will be a child of it) before applying the clothfx. This seems to speed up calculation times quite a lot.

I will sort out a full tutorial for this someday :)

LW3D
07-04-2007, 07:27 AM
There are 2 video tutorials about clothfx and FX_metalink on veoh... They are Turkish, but video shows everything you need.

http://www.veoh.com/videos/v733398pBsrbjHa

http://www.veoh.com/videos/v733581J4T4J2wm

Giacomo99
07-04-2007, 01:29 PM
Kurv Studios has a DVD on "Cloth and Vehicle Dynamics." I bought it over a year ago and still haven't had the chance to look at it.

Giacomo99
07-04-2007, 01:40 PM
Also, I checked out the two Turkish links if you like, but they're pretty basic--more-or-less the same material is covered, in English, in Dan Ablan's Lightwave 8 book. (I did the Ablan tutorials and they weren't much help in using ClothFX on an actual figure--they cover very simple cases (simple cloth plane draping over simple sphere) in a very cookbook type-in-the-numbers kind of way.)

Dodgy, I would LOVE to see some kind of real documentation on ClothFX! I strongly encourage you to write that tutorial and make it available. I would even pay money for a Lightwave dynamics book, if you're in the mood to write one.

jdebony
07-04-2007, 01:56 PM
Does anyone know of a good Video Toaster training software or tapes?

jeremyhughes77
07-05-2007, 09:28 AM
I THINK I'm figuring it out from what you talked about here Dodgy... I'm running some test sims now that are looking pretty good and with Metalink, I think it's going to work. The toughest part is getting clothFX not to sink into the shape. I went back though some of my Maya tutorials and I've take a tiny bit of what they apply there + the turkish tutorial + all you said Dodgy and things are starting to look good. Maybe in 9x we'll see a new dynamics engine that doesnt need to run intensive calcs every single time...

Giacomo99, if you get a chance to watch that vid, let me know if its any good. I'm interested in getting it but not if I dont learn anything I cant already be figuring out...

Anybody using any good free screen recording software right now? I can run some more sims here maybe and record off a video to show how I'm setting it up and my results. Dodgy can then tell me what I'm screwing up :D

Wolvy_UK
07-05-2007, 02:46 PM
Here' s a good free screen recording alternative to camtasia.

http://www.camstudio.org/

jeremyhughes77
07-08-2007, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the help guys, the cloth sims are working out pretty well now... I'm using a really basic subdiv form for the body the dress sim uses which works fairly quickly. I need to get the dress to sit on the shoulders a little better still so I have to work on that. Any ideas?