PDA

View Full Version : Need A Little Help With Lightwave...

Aaron_Price
07-02-2007, 06:53 PM
Hey everybody! I am wondering if it is possible to create a mesh from an image file imported into Lightwave 9.0 For example an image say of the Superman Symbol. I heard that if the background is white and the logo part is black you can create a polygon of the shape without having to use points, drawing the image etc to get the shape needed in which you then extrude to make it 3D.

Is this possible and how do I do it? Is it something called Vertex imaging???

SplineGod
07-02-2007, 07:53 PM
You can map it onto a polygon and use the alpha as a clip map to cut away the geometry. The other method is to trace it manually or use a tracing tool.

Aaron_Price
07-03-2007, 05:17 PM
Ok thanks SplineGod but how do I do that in Lightwave the You can map it onto a polygon and use the alpha as a clip map to cut away the geometry?

SplineGod
07-03-2007, 05:58 PM
Look up clip map in the manual :)

zardoz
07-04-2007, 02:51 AM
you can always use this plugin: Cookie cutter
http://pweb.netcom.com/~ghartens/cookie.html

or you can use that same picture to displace a subdivided plane, choose the lower points and delete them, keeping the upper ones.

Volunteer
07-07-2007, 10:17 PM
I tried to use the forum search but it doesn't seem to be working-I am getting "ie will not display this page."

Here's my question: LW8.5. Image editor. I wanted to try cookie cutter and loaded a b/w image into the image editor that showed up as all black. I tried several file formats from both Photoshop (7) and Illustrator (10), and nothing seemed to work.

I did manage to load a photoshop colored jpeg file in and got a distorted (widthwise) image. I tried saving the b/w as a jpeg but when I loaded it, I got a strange looking thing with vertical bars.

I am using the modeler version of image editor.

If it isn't obvious, I am a noob

archijam
07-08-2007, 05:51 AM
Do you have illustrator or some other EPS generator? If you have, sounds like the best place to start to me ...

Or are you just experimenting with image editor?

j.

Volunteer
07-08-2007, 09:33 AM
I wrote a longer reply, but the system doesn't like me. It logged me out.

I have both Illustrator 10 and Photoshop 7.

I am planning to use LW as a vehicle to teach an after school enrichment program to primary age kids. To the degree that I will be using at most 10% of LW features, and the most basic ones at that, everything I do is an experiment to see if it can be useful.