PDA

View Full Version : Cylons? Wierd LW Behavior

wulfie
07-02-2007, 02:37 PM
I did an animation camp with 13 adolescent boys this week.:bangwall: This is the result of their experience with LW 9.0. At the moment I am beyond help but I thought I would share info since I learned so much. It is also on some level, amusing.

One 12 year old actually managed to render out an object whose points DID render. Big fat ones. A 15 year old got what I call the point from hell. It renders.....can't be deleted or manipulated....although it can be copied......it is also very large and if you touch it, it crashes Modeler. A 10 year old experienced his object becoming separated from it's points when he attempted to move a set of polygons. (I've had this too) ......I started to notice that the points weren't actually separated from the object but that there was a lag time .......if I waited long enough the polys finally caught up with the points. If I waited like an hour or two. I actually "fixed" the problem by learning to change tools (like from move to rotate).....clicking on the object and then going back to the move tool. I continued to work on his object until......suddenly, it jumpstarted the object and the problem went away.

Since no one else is having these issues, I am wondering if I don't have a virus. After a complete reinstall of 12 computers.....I will let you know.

Bev::question:

Lightwolf
07-02-2007, 02:40 PM
Can you share the hardware/software configuration? Mainly OS and graphics boards as well as the driver version?

That might help...

Cheers,
Mike

wulfie
07-04-2007, 03:00 PM
It's not a virus. Tech support on my end has cleared all of the machines. it's either LW 9 or what I am using to run LW 9. I just hate it that the kids work so hard on making their first objects and they seem to become corrupted. So here are my specs:

Most of the computers are: CPU INTEL Core 2 Dual Processor E6420 2.13G 775 4MG L2 Cache 1066 Frontside Bus
EVGA XFX PVT84JUDD3 8600GT 256MB R
Asus P5N32SLIR2 Motherboard
2gigs of RAM

One of these get point lag. One has the point from hell that can't be deleted manipulated or dealt with in any way.

The Ram is all different on each machine...2 gigs in every machine though

MEM 1Gx2|OCZ DII800 OCZ2P800R22GK R 1
20-220-144 MEM 1Gx2|PATRIOT 240P PDC22G6400LLK 1
20-146-599 MEM 1Gx2|MUSHKIN DII800 996529 R 1
20-145-590 MEM 1Gx2|CORSAIR TWIN2X2048-6400 R

Dell 530 Dual Xeon 1.7 Processor Graphics card is and Nvidea Quadro 2Pro
This is the machine that rendered points. I am doing a complete clean install
on this machine. Wondering if I need another graphics card to keep up with LW 9

My old homemade Pentium 2.8 processor machines with Geforce TI 4800 graphic cards with not nearly enough memory on them are not having any of these point problems though.

All computers are running XP Pro in 32 Bit with Service Pack 2

Any help from anyone will be greatly appreciated!