PDA

View Full Version : Maya nodes to LW nodes ?

omichon
07-02-2007, 10:19 AM
I am trying to achieve a carbon fibre effect (one more time). I found a shader but it's a Maya shader for MR. The author give some explanations about it, so I was wondering if it is possible to translate it to LW nodes ?
Any idea ?
Thanks for any help !

Here is the link to the shader and the explanations about the Maya nodes :
http://www.ftc-creative.de/mainframe.php?url=/software/soft.html&PopUp=/software/Shaders/carbon.html

"The shader is a Maya Anisotropic Material wich has mapped a texture on the Spread X and Spread Y parameter of the anisotropic node. Thereby there are both of the Spread coordinates (X and Y) linked with the same texture file nodes, by one of the file nodes is inverted to get the weaved fibre look.
Further there is a normal mapper through a ramp who manages reflection. Where the upper color manages the outer reflectivity (tangent direction) and the lower the inner reflectivity (normal direction)."

dpont
07-02-2007, 10:37 AM
May be on this page:
http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/lwtrial/content.php

Denis.

Bytehawk
07-02-2007, 10:39 AM
you should mail Denis

Denis.Pontonnier at wanadoo.fr

he has done a lot of rman node translations to LW
+ is a great guy !

edit : oops, seems like he already spotted you :)

omichon
07-02-2007, 10:42 AM
Thanks Denis :)

I found the link just after posting.
I have imported the nodes on my surface, but I am not able to get the same effect, yet :(
Still trying...

Thanks Bytehawk :)
Yes, Denis is a great guy. He helps me a lot so far ;)

omichon
07-02-2007, 11:03 AM
All seems to be fine now (well, it's a good starting point) but is it the expected behaviour to have to reconnect all outputs to the Surface when importing nodes ?
That's not really smart...

As a side note, all this new tutorial content seems to be awesome !
I have to explore it, when I will have some free time... :grumpy:

KeystoneMike
09-08-2007, 02:51 AM
All seems to be fine now (well, it's a good starting point) but is it the expected behaviour to have to reconnect all outputs to the Surface when importing nodes ?
That's not really smart...

As a side note, all this new tutorial content seems to be awesome !
I have to explore it, when I will have some free time... :grumpy:

I think when importing nodes, it is. I think the import function was designed to bring in chunks of Node code into an existing node surface, not be a complete load and go kind of thing, if that makes sense.
If there is a surface file though (.srf) then that will give you the complete, linked surface.