PDA

View Full Version : Web Design Project

Hiraghm
06-24-2003, 12:41 PM
I took my "Even a Brick" poster in to the guys at Trinity today, and they liked it. We got to talking, and they're going to have the head guy call me about maintaining and updating their web site.

I know some folks here do web design as their primpary focus, and while it's been peripheral to my main focus, I'd like to get this project. Would anyone experienced in web design mind sharing with me information such as what's a reasonable price range for various services, what to pay attention to in negotiations, and what to avoid saying/doing while negotiating?

It will probably involve periodically updating their materials list, adding new showroom content, and possibly even involve custom software to help customers select brick and patterns for their projects (usually houses).

I'd appreciate any advice anyone can lend me.

MGuerra
06-24-2003, 02:06 PM
This would probably depend on the amount of work involved and the frequency at which you'll be doing it. It will also depend on your level of skill in the web arena. If you're going to be providing maintenance and occasional custom items, then that usually involves lower cost than actually creating a brand new web identity.

To be honest, I'm not sure what the "going rate" is for this kind of stuff, as I usually take it case by case. Like you mentioned in one of your other posts, the cost involved in creating that poster design was much higher than you'd probably expect to get for it, so usually for maintenance, you would charge by the project. Or, by the month, or whatever schedule (if there is one) that you'll be providing your services.

If it's something that requires a completely new design, or custom scripting or something, then you might charge that by the hour. I like the idea of charging hourly, but in reality, that usually gets lumped into some kind of "overall" project cost.

Sorry... This is probably all stuff you already new, but it all depends on the actual project at hand and your ability to do at a reasonable cost for both you and the client.

uberslayer™
06-24-2003, 04:11 PM
Baffle them with BS................worx for me.:p