PDA

View Full Version : AVAST and LW?

colkai
07-02-2007, 02:55 AM
Hi folks,
After yet another problem with my computer, I rebuilt and decided, after years of running AVG, to try out AVAST for anti-virus as it seems to have a "good rep." hereabouts.

As I was copying across my LW DVD, it started to list he W95_Worm on pretty much image every saver for my LW5.6 area. Now as I'd never touched half of them, I wondered if it was returning a false positive.

I've left 5.6 off the system for now but it seemed to me any "old" program I had, such as ACDSee classic, all came up with the same W95_Worm.

I used to run a full scan with AVG every week on all drives and it never once returned any indicators that something was wrong, thus my question as to if anyone else has had AVAST complain.

If not, then that sort of means for years I've been trusting software to protect my machine and it hasn't been - EEK!

Bill Carey
07-02-2007, 03:07 AM
I run avast on one machine and antivir on the other and pass files between them on a regular basis. Once avast said a file from the antivir machine was a virus, but it turned out to be a well known false alarm. (Which do happen)

colkai
07-02-2007, 04:48 AM
It's unusual that all the programs it found reported the same error, it seems unlikely to me that AVG wouldn't of spotted it, which made me think it may be a false positive. However, I also know AVG found viruses where the works corporate PC-Cillin didn't - picking up 2 or 3 "infections" which Trend had let slide. So I wondered if AVG also had missed this.

It doesn't help that my PC died on me and I am not 100% sure it wasn't an infection causing the rebooting & crashes. I may dig out an old HD and put a clean windows on - I've nothing to lose now, just hoping the wife's laptop is "clean" and AVAST is good to keep it so, otherwise I'm a dead man. :p

Any other opinions on this are very much wanted of course.

colkai
07-02-2007, 05:46 AM
Ok, interestingly, I went here...

http://virusscan.jotti.org/

There were several that listed the ALIAS.EXE from the LW5.6 loader as containing W95/CIH or some other permutation such as: Win95:CIH-ASP but by the same token, about 10 scans, including AVG, did not.

LAV
07-02-2007, 06:15 AM
Never gone through Avast issues. I could just suppose there were problems in switching from an AV to another. First of all, anyway, I'll try to download latest version and newer virus-databases.

PS: Avast has a severe way to scan mails, indeed, and often stops even html formatted messages.

TripD
07-02-2007, 06:22 AM
I would recomend to everyone to once in a while run an online free scan from another company like Bitdefender to double check. Could save you lots of headaches.

Bill Carey
07-02-2007, 03:48 PM
Excuse me, but your cat is missing....

TripD
07-02-2007, 05:05 PM
Yah my antivirus software thought it was....well you know...and deleted it.