PDA

View Full Version : Motion Builder for free

meshmaster
06-24-2003, 11:56 AM
http://www.kaydara.com/mailing/FBXQT_survey/index.html

Aegis
06-24-2003, 12:12 PM
Cool! It's a newer version (4.04) than the one on Digit too (4.02).

For those interested in learning MotionBuilder, 3DBuzz has a complete free online video course available - VTMs, coursework, a clip art CD and instructor/forums support - www.3dbuzz.com

For those wondering what the fuss is about, MotionBuilder is a real-time animation system that supports (via included plugins) most popular 3D packages and allows you to say, export your LightWave objects and scene into MotionBuilder, setup your animation (using character and rigging tools far more sophisticated than those in LightWave) then export your scene back into LightWave for rendering - very cool.

The MotionBuilder Personal Learning Edition (unlike some other companies PLE's) is fully functional with all the features of the $4000+ commercial version - freelancers are free to use the software as part of their production pipeline (you can even render with no watermarks!) but studios must purchase a full license.

Hiraghm
06-25-2003, 05:05 PM
I downloaded and installed motion builder after reading that post, thanks.

Just got one question...

How does one export to MB and import from MB with Lightwave when it doesn't support LW file formats?

Lamont
06-25-2003, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Hiraghm
How does one export to MB and import from MB with Lightwave when it doesn't support LW file formats? Use the FBX file format... it's made by Kaydara

uberslayer™
06-25-2003, 05:36 PM
I think this is a more realistic approach for software companies to take. I have in the past serched for a application name, and had a link to a crack site offering a patch above the link to the offical site. In HK a few years back I saw a real cheap CD called "best of adobe and macromedia 2000" and I don't think it was licenced LOL.

Webmedia (NZ) was worth $3m when some one said "hang on, we have no licences for any of this software", and promptly ran out and spent up. If you're really making money, you'd be foolish to try and use illegitimate software, but if it's just some bod trying to bust into it then all they are doing (these ones being the majority) is helping to make the application an industry standard.

I reckon anyhoo.

colkai
06-26-2003, 06:45 AM
Whilst in no way would I wish to appear to condone piracy..

I think there is probably a grain of truth in that. Those who use the software illegally do, obviously, become familiar with it, which heightens its profile.
Mind you, I wonder if the inverse is true, the more popular the software, the more likely there will be hacks and cracks of it?

Difficult to say, you are not going to get the folks now using legit software and working for effects houses to fess up if they ever used an illegal copy I'd guess ;)

Kaydaras attitude is, I think, very shrewd.
Those of us who download the software and can justify the upgrade cost ($200) get a program worth $995 when the year is up. Of course, those who can't justify the upgrade, or simply cannot afford it, (looks in mirror), have at least had the chance to look at it and maybe, just maybe, improve our skills as a result.

Mind you, 1 year down the road, who knows, I may have some spare cash (as if! :D).