PDA

View Full Version : Same machine...two OS...2 render times.

thirdmonster
07-01-2007, 07:02 PM
(I'm posting this here and in the general forum, so you may have already seen this...but I thought I'd throw it out to the mac discussion group and see if anybody has an answer.)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Anybody care to comment on this:

-Same computer: Apple Mac Pro Dual 3GHz Quad Core Intel; 4GB RAM.
-Same Build of Lightwave: 9.2 (32 bit version)
-Same scene, frame, and settings...

...but...

...Two operating systems and two very different render speeds. Check this out:

Running Vista (32 bit) native, render time: 37 seconds.
Running OSX 10.4.10 (32 bit), render time: 4 minutes, 15 seconds.

Huge difference, no?

Anyone out there care to shed some light on this little discovery?

(Please, no snarky comments on Mac vs. Windows...I'd really like to know the answer to this.)

Chilton
07-01-2007, 07:32 PM
Hi,

The version of LW you're using is running in emulation on Intel hardware. Join the Open Beta program and try that again with the Universal Binary of LightWave 3D. You'll get eh... different... results :devil:

-Chilton

thirdmonster
07-01-2007, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the quick reply...and it makes perfect sense now that I think about it. One question: I checked a couple pages on this site (even did a search) and cannot find ***how*** to join the open beta. Could you (or somebody out there) point me in the right direction? I'd really appreaciate it!

Thanks!

-Steven

BeeVee
07-02-2007, 02:09 AM
Go to your account at http://register.newtek.com and click on the black and red banner on the left...

B

LAV
07-02-2007, 02:12 AM
You have to register as LW 9.x owner (I did it in NT europe, but I suppose the same happens 'here' for US customers)... customer care-register ecc ecc.
In your download page you can follow the LW9.2openbeta evolution.
Hope this can help you.

woop! BeeVee burned me :D

archijam
07-02-2007, 05:11 AM
Please post the new results!

VERY curious ...

j.

BeeVee
07-02-2007, 06:04 AM
Hey LAV,

Same for everyone now, you need to go to http://register.newtek.com no matter where you come from Africa, Europe, the US and many other places (excluding Australia and Japan mainly).

B

brian.coates
07-02-2007, 09:39 AM
... (excluding Australia and Japan mainly).
First I've heard of it. I get all my beta updates from there.