PDA

View Full Version : Ratatouille

Andyjaggy
07-01-2007, 10:28 AM
I saw Pixars newest movie last night. Just wondering what everyones opinion is on it. It wasn't my favorite Pixar movie but oh my gosh, it was beautiful, the textures and lighting and animation was superb, by far their best looking Pixar movie in my opinion.

zapper1998
07-01-2007, 10:48 AM
OMG...... Utah kitty of death, :D

your avatar is so funny, omg, :D

is that a real pic of the kitty, so cute...

So the previews of the movie, Ratatoville, it looks good, I saw Shrek Three last nite, that was
funny......funny..

Michael

Andyjaggy
07-01-2007, 11:06 AM
Yes it is a real picture of a cat. It's not my cat though.

AbnRanger
07-01-2007, 06:43 PM
All this time I thought it was your cat, and that you must be feeding him whole rabbit's or something.

Andyjaggy
07-01-2007, 07:22 PM
Well I think I let people think that..... noone every actually asked me if it was my cat :D I think they just assumed.

cresshead
07-01-2007, 07:46 PM
film's not out in ther u.k. yet...will be havin a look at it though...as the reviews from artists here and on cgtalk like it

..and these ARE my cats!

Andyjaggy
07-01-2007, 07:48 PM
Looks like this thread was de-clawed. Hahahaha. Okay that was lame.

The movie was cute and the CG gorgeous, but the story just wasn't my favorite. I think that still goes to Incredibles.

BazC
07-02-2007, 01:17 AM
film's not out in ther u.k. yet...will be havin a look at it though...as the reviews from artists here and on cgtalk like it

I read they won't be releasing it here till October! :(

"The one distributor staying out of the crowded school holiday schedule is Disney. They’ve chosen to hold back the UK release of new Pixar animation Ratatouille until October, despite the US release on June 29." (http://www.entnews.co.uk/web/Login.aspx?ret=%2fweb%2fhome.aspx)

BeeVee
07-02-2007, 02:25 AM
Comes out here in France next month, but I'll only be able to see a dubbed version because "animation's for kids and they don't understand other languages". :rolleyes:

B

toby
07-02-2007, 08:22 PM
I read they won't be releasing it here till October! :(

"The one distributor staying out of the crowded school holiday schedule is Disney. They’ve chosen to hold back the UK release of new Pixar animation Ratatouille until October, despite the US release on June 29." (http://www.entnews.co.uk/web/Login.aspx?ret=%2fweb%2fhome.aspx)
That's just completely wrong! Unless they really want the UK to hate them, then it's spot-on.

The movie was cute and the CG gorgeous, but the story just wasn't my favorite. I think that still goes to Incredibles.
There's NO way the story could be as good as Incredibles.

Andyjaggy
07-02-2007, 08:48 PM
Yep Incredibles has been my favorite so far. Don't get me wrong this one is still good and it has it's moments and it's gorgeous, but just not my favorite.

bluerider
07-02-2007, 09:51 PM
Comes out here in France next month, but I'll only be able to see a dubbed version because "animation's for kids and they don't understand other languages". :rolleyes:

B

Other languages....what other languages :D

toby
07-02-2007, 09:59 PM
OIrish. And Texan.

bluerider
07-02-2007, 10:00 PM
Ratatouille.....great story, wonderful animation.

Pixar did an awesome job, I'm definately buying this on DVD when it's released.

It'll be probably released in the USA on DVD before it's released in Cinema in the UK, not that I'm rubbing it in, just thought I'd mention it.

bluerider
07-02-2007, 10:01 PM
OIrish. And Texan.

PMSL, Yeah....thats all I'm bothering with for now.

You get top marks for that comment 10 out of 10, definately the correct answer.

bluerider
07-02-2007, 10:03 PM
Yep Incredibles has been my favorite so far. Don't get me wrong this one is still good and it has it's moments and it's gorgeous, but just not my favorite.

Mmmmm the rats of Ratatouille would love that cat in your avatar, it would never chance them. :devil:

Andyjaggy
07-02-2007, 10:08 PM
You UK guys always get the short end of the stick don't you :D

jin choung
07-02-2007, 10:23 PM
i thought the lame-***** moralizing about piracy to be stupid, obvious and embarassing.

"don't steal, create...."

gee, i wonder what they can be talking about....

pfffft.

but it was funny and cute and of course, the cg work was superb.

jin

Chris S. (Fez)
07-02-2007, 11:23 PM
After The Incredibles my expectations were astronomical so I admit I was a little let down...but, again, that is only relative to Incredibles.

The design, direction, cinematography, staging, sound, music, and animation are all amazing.

There were some funny, oddly risque bits in the movie. The "You don't have the guts" couple scrapping over the gun before embracing.

The "I have a little..." stammering scene also drew some Beavis and Butthead chuckles from most of the guys in the theatre.

Have a friend who looks weirdly similar to the woman chef.

Anyways, it is awesome. One viewing is not enough to take it all in.

Andyjaggy
07-02-2007, 11:47 PM
i thought the lame-***** moralizing about piracy to be stupid, obvious and embarassing.

"don't steal, create...."

gee, i wonder what they can be talking about....

pfffft.

but it was funny and cute and of course, the cg work was superb.

jin

I think you might be the only one who read that meaning into it. Obviously something is on your mind. Care to confess :D Just kidding

jin choung
07-02-2007, 11:51 PM
y'know, i just knew (KNEW) someone was gonna say that.

anyhoo, go ask newtek if i have something to hide.
---------------------------------------------------------------

there's no accounting for insight but if i am the only one that saw it, then i have vision and the rest of the world wears bifocals.

i would've thought that pixar was above being a schill for the mpaa... but oh... right! they're part of the mouse now. whipchack! (onomatopoeia of a whip cracking fyi)

jin

toby
07-02-2007, 11:56 PM
( ok that's one, two, three, four, five, six google searches... be right back )

Chris S. (Fez)
07-03-2007, 12:09 AM
I missed that particular moral-of-the-story...but you might be on to something, Jin.

byte_fx
07-03-2007, 12:28 AM
Haven't seen the rat movie (somehow I think that name is easier to remember and spell) but CARS was a definite letdown after The Incredibles.

The main difference to me was the stories. Just couldn't get into CARS at all. Never mind the good animation - if the story and characters aren't there then there's no point.

See eposides 1 thru 3 of Star Wars for examples of wasted animation. Episode 1 was so boring we left after about twenty minutes (although it felt like two hours).

Ep 3 was kinda ok in a way.

I'm afraid the rat movie will be another letdown so I'll wait for it to come on the movie channels; they're already showing previews and behind the scenes stuff. So far - it doesn't look like it's worth a trip to a theater - but then I'm not easily impressed.

byte_fx

toby
07-03-2007, 12:50 AM
The lighting, texturing and rendering will definitely be worth a trip to the theatre. You don't want to see the best rendering ever, at 640x480 do ya?? As for the rest of it, it's a better bet than Pirates3, Spidey3, Transformers, etc. and so on -

toby
07-03-2007, 12:52 AM
Yes, Cars blew chunks. Looked great doing it though. Ka-chow!

byte_fx
07-03-2007, 01:25 AM
640 x 480?

It'll probably look ok on a 48" HDTV screen though. Or at least as good as it can. And just a quick click of a remote button if it doesn't.

byte_fx

toby
07-03-2007, 02:01 AM
oh, yea if you have HD DVD or Blu-ray then your set. It seems to me movies are sharper in HD than they are in theatres - but then the compression takes the quality down, and there's only 16m colors... There's always something :)

jin choung
07-03-2007, 03:10 AM
how many millions of colors in a pixar print? they don't RENDER hdri do they?

jin

byte_fx
07-03-2007, 04:29 AM
Don't know about that but my cable company is currently showing eight different rat movie promos.

They range in length from just under five minutes to almost twenty minutes in length and are in HD.

Mostly talking head stuff even less interesting than PBS but from the clips they include the animations look good from a technical sense but lack soul or heart or whatever you want to call it.

The Incredibles had it through the story line and characters. Cars didn't.

And from what I've seen the rat movie doesn't either.

Certainly nothing visible that makes me want to go a theater.

When it finally does show up on the movie channels I'll probably watch at least the first few minutes. Beyond that - ???

byte_fx

archiea
07-03-2007, 02:07 PM
Don't know about that but my cable company is currently showing eight different rat movie promos.

They range in length from just under five minutes to almost twenty minutes in length and are in HD.

Mostly talking head stuff even less interesting than PBS but from the clips they include the animations look good from a technical sense but lack soul or heart or whatever you want to call it.

The Incredibles had it through the story line and characters. Cars didn't.

And from what I've seen the rat movie doesn't either.

Certainly nothing visible that makes me want to go a theater.

When it finally does show up on the movie channels I'll probably watch at least the first few minutes. Beyond that - ???

byte_fx

ByteFX, you may want to see the movie itself instead of tearing apart the bits you see on TV. The character fo the Rat is beautifully animated AND acted! His motivations are clear and simple and resonates with alot of people (love of food, art, expressing themselves, fear of trying something new) withoout beating it over your head since its more intrinstic issues than an actual moral. They maintain a logic to their world that creates some fun and clever challenges (like the human can't understand the rat, it just sounds like squeaks to them)

the characters work so well together and seem very fleshed out. The jokes are clever without resorting to farting and burping... its such a tasteful, clever, smart and funny film that I think it will be a classic. No silly cathartic musical interlude with some heartstring pulling vocal that offers synergetic opportunities with the movie company's music branch. Ugh, this seems to be done in all of these animated films these days. Its a proper movie with its own beats that resonate in a logical manner to serve the story, not the music arm of the movie company. And this film drips with charm.

Go see it properly with an theater full of audiences, instead of as an afterthought on DVE, you will loose the audience expereince with this movie that will stay with you long after you have seen it. It deserves at least that much of your attention. :thumbsup:

archiea
07-03-2007, 02:15 PM
I'd love Pixar to do a movie in a different style. Like those "The art of (insert pixar movie)" books. So many beautiful, strong designs! And in the movie there they still go the 'look, it's a rat, let's do it that it looks like a rat in the most mass compatible' way. They have not that much faith in the audiences imagination, have they? Anyway... Pixar/Disney/Dreamworks/... - you can hardly do movies that aren't flawed in any way. So it's nitpicking, I guess.
Greets.
Oliver.

I so agree with you. you should stay to see the end credits of ratatouille, you will get a taste of what you wanted. otherwise, for a fullly rendered CG movie, I think pixar did a wonderful job with ratatouille in terms of the ligthing and art direction. Its less of that flat diffuxe CG look that "incredibles" had (by design, they wnated that look) and it has a rich, textured, colorful feel. yes i woul dhave liked a more rough aroudn the edges look, but for a "traditionallly" CG movie i thought it was gorgeous. Everything fit, ntothing popped out as being CG, the film has a very kinetic and natural feel... fromt he camera moves (excellent cienmatogrpahy) to the poses in the animation, to the realistic DOF which becomes part of the storytelling.

I realy believe that this will be a film referenced in the future as a classic for alot of the skill and artistry of traditional filmmaking that went into the making. even when the rat is being chased around the kitchen, its moreof a dance, it looks like an animated film, not a video game. not an easy feat when you are using computers...

toby
07-03-2007, 02:26 PM
how many millions of colors in a pixar print? they don't RENDER hdri do they?

jin
Essentially yes, it's just not the .hdr format, it's probably a proprietary format, it includes an alpha and probably a lot of other buffers - but only they know which ones. But the rgb is rendered floating point, not 8 bit. And I don't know how many colors film supports, that's a good question - but it's a lot more than 16.7 million

jin choung
07-03-2007, 08:42 PM
i know they probably must render 16/32 bpc for their production pipeline but are you saying they render an alpha (which on a final comp would be white) and >8bpc for their final film out?

well, i suppose it stands to reason... cineon?

but since the nobody used a camera to film "reality", the colors supported on analog film is in this instance, of course, a moot issue.

jin

Mr Rid
07-03-2007, 11:55 PM
I saw Pixars newest movie last night. Just wondering what everyones opinion is on it.

Of course it looks great and all. But the cute, feel good formula was wearing thin with Cars. My wife and I found ourselves yawning. Would like to see something other than the usual 'be true to yourself thing that Disney has been repeating for years.

byte_fx
07-04-2007, 02:06 AM
archiea

Sorry - I'll pass on the theater trip. It just doesn't seem to be a story I'm interested in.

Plus - those that know me know that I've been involved on the industry so long that it's impossible for me to watch a film in a theater w/o picking out the parts I would have done differently - from lighting and editing thru continuity to cinematography everything else.

Not saying it would be any better if done my way - but I still can't help doing what amounts to an analysis.

Call it an occupational hazard.

Another drawback to viewing a movie in a theater are the over-pumped, hyper-steroid soundtracks. At least at home I can control the dynamic range to a more realistic presentaton.

And a smaller screen helps mask all the bits that usually irk me.

These days I limit my time in theaters to the screening of dailies.

byte_fx

toby
07-04-2007, 01:57 PM
i know they probably must render 16/32 bpc for their production pipeline but are you saying they render an alpha (which on a final comp would be white) and >8bpc for their final film out?

Just the >8bpc part
If they didn't, every shot of the sky would have huge bands in it.

but since the nobody used a camera to film "reality", the colors supported on analog film is in this instance, of course, a moot issue.

I don't think it's moot actually - as long as it supports *enough* colors. Floating point renders can contain unlimited colors. An hdr I'm working with now has the actual intensity of the sun (on earth), 65,000%. Gotta wonder how they project it onto film too. I may be able to find out something from work, stay tuned

jin choung
07-04-2007, 02:38 PM
re: 8bpc - that's not true is it? i've got lots of footage and lots of pictures that are no more than 24bit (8bpc) color and they don't have banding.

again, i'm not talking about pipeline. if you ran certain filters on 8bpc footage and then subjected them to more processing, you're very likely to run into banding.

but if you were using 16 or 24 bpc throughout your pipeline and then rendered final to 8bpc, you can end up with a pristine looking image.

not to mention the fact that there are no HDR monitors (except from one company). so we're almost always looking at "l"dr images anyway.

(and most of the banding we do see nowadays is because of abhorrent digital compression....)

in any case, yah, they probably do render >8bpc for film. but do you know what the dynamic range is for digital DLP projectors? are they capable of greater than 8bpc?

---------------------

about film - right... hdr images can indeed exceed the range of film.... for some reason, that didn't seem correct but you're right.

jin

Lightwolf
07-04-2007, 04:04 PM
Floating point renders can contain unlimited colors.
<jumps in> shall I nitpick? :D

Seriously though, I'm mostly with Oliver, especially since Monsters Inc. is my favourite as well. The Incredibles was goo, but not that good, and I somehow lost interest after that.

maybe I'm getting old, but somehow the flicks I enjoy the most rarely have any CG....

Cheers,
Mike

Lightwolf
07-04-2007, 04:08 PM
in any case, yah, they probably do render >8bpc for film. but do you know what the dynamic range is for digital DLP projectors? are they capable of greater than 8bpc?

They should do at least 10bit, and the Digital Cinema Spec is 12bit ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_cinema ).
10bit is what you get from a film scan ( DPXfiles) - which is basically 4 times the range of an 8bit image (roughly equal to +4 stops).

Cheers,
Mike

jin choung
07-04-2007, 06:56 PM
actually, i think everybody's kinda getting tired of cg cartoons.... hollywood is great at one thing and that's grabbing something good (penguins) and doing it to death until everyone's so sick and tired of seeing it (penguins) that they kill it.

i fear that as go penguins, so shall go cg cartoons.

not pixar's fault... well, perhaps their fault by making it so profitable for themselves for so long that everyone was slavering to get in on the action.

jin

toby
07-04-2007, 08:21 PM
re: 8bpc - that's not true is it? i've got lots of footage and lots of pictures that are no more than 24bit (8bpc) color and they don't have banding.
Sorry, I exaggerated too much. It's more accurate to say that banding, and color clipping, are what they risk by going to 24bit before filmout.

but if you were using 16 or 24 bpc throughout your pipeline and then rendered final to 8bpc, you can end up with a pristine looking image.
But not as good-looking as higher bit-depth images. When I was picking out my lcd tv, I bought the samsung partially because it display 12 billion colors instead of 16m... then I remembered that I'll just be watching blu-ray movies on it... which are compressed to... 16 million color video :cursin:

bluerider
07-04-2007, 08:33 PM
actually, i think everybody's kinda getting tired of cg cartoons.... hollywood is great at one thing and that's grabbing something good (penguins) and doing it to death until everyone's so sick and tired of seeing it (penguins) that they kill it.

i fear that as go penguins, so shall go cg cartoons.

not pixar's fault... well, perhaps their fault by making it so profitable for themselves for so long that everyone was slavering to get in on the action.

jin

Well I think you can do a particular subject to death. I'm not sure how you can do a whole medium to death though. Its like saying theres too much live action?

I think as you or someone else already mentioned is that the forumlaic approach just get of course "sameme".

I don't actually know what forumlaic means I thought I'd just throw it in the impress myself.

Lightwolf
07-05-2007, 02:06 AM
I don't actually know what forumlaic means I thought I'd just throw it in the impress myself.
Lol.. try formulaic and it will make more sense ;)

Cheers,
Mike

Phil
07-05-2007, 02:22 AM
Puffins. That's what we need. A film about Puffins. It's the logical progression. Cliffs (Lots of polygons to boast about). Huge colour ranges (texturing). Grass. oceans and spray (fluids, volumetrics).

bluerider
07-05-2007, 08:50 AM
Lol.. try formulaic and it will make more sense ;)

Cheers,
Mike

I'm afraid that word never goes well with dyslexic :hey:

Lightwolf
07-05-2007, 08:57 AM
I'm afraid that word never goes well with dyslexic :hey:
Yeah, but which one does? ;)

Cheers,
Mike

nthused
07-05-2007, 10:13 AM
Good story, good characters, great animation and wonderful lighting. We (my wife and 3 of my children) really enjoyed the movie.

jin choung
07-05-2007, 11:13 PM
bluerider-

y'know, i was gonna disagree with your point but my typing stopped mid-sentence and realized that you're right.

the medium can't be "overdone to death" but it can seem that way if everything in that medium is the same....

2d animation and perhaps now 3d animation is probably not going to overstay its welcome because of its "animatedness"... but because they're all the same style:

anthopomorphized animals (or cars) that have a kid friendly message and style with a wink and a nod to adults.

but... since it is unlikely they are going to make r-rated 3d animated movies in the near future... the effect of it might be that they kill animation.

in america at least.

jin

byte_fx
07-06-2007, 12:18 AM
Yeah, but which one does? ;)

Cheers,
Mike

cixelsyd ??

byte_fx

toby
07-06-2007, 12:35 AM
Don't know if Beowulf will be rated R
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0442933/
but it's got violence and nudity, fully cg. So it is happening slowly, if this bombs like Final Fantasy, it'll happen slower -

sean hargreaves
07-06-2007, 12:03 PM
I watched Final Fantasy again the other day, and it was quit an accomplishment, but I have to say, and this goes for all sci-fi films, enough with the boring tech scenery. Design it differently. It was all the same, same color, same boxy shapes, and this goes to live action sci-fi as well. I'm tired of these films looking the same. James Cameron did a great job on Aliens, but that was over 20 years ago, time to move on. Ridley Scotts Alien set the stage, and the designs were great, each set had character, you knew where you were. I just don't want to see any more grey, military sci-fi corridors with grates and pipes. And I don't play video games, but from what I've seen, thats also been infected with the sameness. Enough, I say. Just an opinion!

Tom Wood
07-06-2007, 12:10 PM
Agreed on the color schemes. FF still sucks because the story is so lame.

We have a preconception that those crazy Greeks were all into staid white stone architecture because that's all that remains today. There's a lot of evidence that those structures were painted with the most gaudy of colors. Same for the Victorian age.

As a slight tangent, if you've been watching The Daily Show evolve over these last few months you will have noticed the new set and bright colors. It's LOUD now with color. In a future where everything is screwed up, wouldn't it be just like the government to paint over it with a lot of color to make people feel better?

calilifestyle
07-06-2007, 05:15 PM
by the way didnt read the whole postand not sure anyone has said this, but i felt that food crit. looked like steve jobs a lot.

sean hargreaves
07-06-2007, 05:17 PM
Well, in terms of replicating historical cultures, theres something to be said about 'heightened reality', as in, push it a little. Its not PBS, repect it, but push it.
In terms of sci-fi, I would'nt want to live in gaudy colors in the future, but SOME color would be nice. And as far as colors and new shapes in films, we're watching it for about 2 hours, I don't want to look at the same stuff for 2 hours.

Tom Wood
07-06-2007, 05:26 PM
I dunno Sean, 'they' really are trying to figure out how to do paint-on video screens like those in Minority Report. Imagine every available surface on the planet showing a video that is trying to sell you something. Okay, maybe not...:thumbsdow

sean hargreaves
07-06-2007, 05:57 PM
The problem with 'tech' stuff, is it gets too techy. Its tech for the sake of tech. Minority Report had a nice look, but then it was all sci-fi blue, all color removed more or less. And yes, the screens, if that technology happens, run for the hills. I mean, don't get me wrong, its NOT easy to do the future, and not make it James Cameron Aliens or Star Trek Next Generation. One is military, the other is humanistic. Trying to get a subtle mix is not easy. Just tired of boxes and pipes and grates, and/or clean warm seats and touch screens. What I'm asking is: Whats the next step?

PS Wow! We really got off the subject of this thread did'nt we?

jnddepew
07-08-2007, 01:03 PM
I agree. we definately did. I saw Ratatouille yesterday and though the animation was incredible, although the characters and story were slightly disappointing.

ShawnStovall
07-08-2007, 03:50 PM
Ratatouille.....great story, wonderful animation.

Pixar did an awesome job, I'm definately buying this on DVD when it's released.

It'll be probably released in the USA on DVD before it's released in Cinema in the UK, not that I'm rubbing it in, just thought I'd mention it.

I highly agree, I think most people expect Pixar movies to be funny, this one had a more serious tone(I'm talking about the story and not the circumstance with the rats).

cholo
07-08-2007, 04:04 PM
I watched Final Fantasy again the other day, and it was quit an accomplishment, but I have to say, and this goes for all sci-fi films, enough with the boring tech scenery. Design it differently. It was all the same, same color, same boxy shapes, and this goes to live action sci-fi as well. I'm tired of these films looking the same. James Cameron did a great job on Aliens, but that was over 20 years ago, time to move on. Ridley Scotts Alien set the stage, and the designs were great, each set had character, you knew where you were. I just don't want to see any more grey, military sci-fi corridors with grates and pipes. And I don't play video games, but from what I've seen, thats also been infected with the sameness. Enough, I say. Just an opinion!

IMHO, the 5th element was a step in the right direction, but I haven't see anything like it ever since.

toby
07-08-2007, 04:56 PM
I think Blade Runner is a better example of sci-fi without the military look - Ridley's the bomb :D

Tom Wood
07-08-2007, 07:52 PM
Not really about movies, but related:

http://news.com.com/Images+The+sci-fi+effect+on+high+tech/2300-1008_3-6195195.html?tag=nefd.lede

Snow Crash
Neuromancer
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep

Man, I sometimes wish I could go back and read them again for the first time. :D

"Contact patches like a fat lady's thighs..." He nailed that story and set up the 'tude for so much cyberpunk that followed.

pixym
07-09-2007, 09:08 PM
.../... I'm definately buying this on DVD when it's released.../...
Me too, but in HD DVD or Blu-Ray :D

John Jordan
07-15-2007, 07:20 PM
http://www.newtek.com/forums/images/smilies/brians/agree.gif
:agree:Like previous entries in this thread, I agree that "The Incredibles" is still my favorite. I will even admit I had some prejudices about going to see a movie that I assumed was about snobby food lovers (even if the main snob is a rat), but I was wrong. Food is an important part of the film but it's done in a realistic manner regarding quality over quantity. The film well made and like another poster wrote, it's beautifully modeled and rendered.
My only beef (pun intended) is that, while the story is very good, I thought the ending was a bit preachy about being honest and giving credit (these are good things to be sure but the story really strains credulity in the end). But that's a small complaint and I guess the best review I can give any movie is--I thought I would go in hating it but it turned out to be a fun and enjoyable afternoon at the movies.
One other caveat: The rats are cartoon rats to be sure but there are a couple of swarming scenes that look quite real. If you have a thing about rats and mice those will be exciting scenes for you to say the least.

Ratboy
07-15-2007, 08:26 PM
I loved it. It might have helped that I feel the same way about music that Remy does about food, so I had no trouble getting inside his fuzzy little head.

toby
07-15-2007, 08:29 PM
Just saw it, fantastic rendering, best I've seen yet. Nemo is a close second. Story was well done, but not very original. Story, characters and overall, Incredibles is still tops.

Oh yea - I used to be a cook, and some of those scenes with rats in the kitchen were pretty disturbing! All the competition and attitudes in the kitchen were pretty accurate too :P

CMT
07-16-2007, 09:12 AM
Haven't seen the movie, yet. But I plan on taking my daughter soon. But here's my take....

There's not that many movies out there for kids to watch. And Pixar's demographic has always been geared towards kids more than adults. The whole family focused, cartoony approach is what they have been about. Maybe they will do more adult focuse film in the future, but wanting something entirely different from them is like wanting a burrito at a chinese buffet. They make films like this. That's what they are good at.

I pretty much liked all their movies except Cars. It was just OK. But most of the others were pretty unique IMO. Put them all side to side and what are the similarities? They all have a good moral? The good guys always win? Maybe I'm not as perceptive I as I thought I was, but I don't see any common "formula" between these except for those I mentioned, which should be in a movie that kids will watch.

As for futuristic tech in movies, the tech has to relate to the setting and has to communicate functionality to the audience. I think that's why grates/pipes etc... are used so much. To drive home the industrial nature of technology. The thing is, the goal of modern tech design isn't that way anymore. Technology is becoming more invisible now. It would be nice to see a movie which utilizes this new trend more.

v1u1ant
07-16-2007, 09:39 AM
I really hate these kind of films, but then im not 6-12 years old.

I prefer "the wrong trousers" type of film, just seems more playful all that stop animation stuff. Wouldn't like to work that way though:O And having being brought up on 'Morph' some of you may understand my preference over CGI.

I haven't seen this film Ratatoue (sp? whatever), but i have seen the trailer. i have to admit i thought the character animation and lighting/texturing were pretty amazing, but i wont go and see it, i think ive seen all i need to see in the trailer.

I have to agree with this future look not going anywhere since Alien and that 5th Element was about as fresh as its been, even then i thought i was watching a french version of star trek next generation or something.
And you gotta love Bladerunners ability to still look totally unique even after all this time.

Someone should really do Gibson/Stephenson book as a film. That seems like a never ending feature request though.

sean hargreaves
07-16-2007, 10:10 AM
Well, what I was saying about the future tech thing is that O.K., you do a movie with a space station, but does that mean the space station has to use trusses and cylinders like the one we have up there now? Its just ugly. I worked for almost a year on The Fifth Element, and it was all about fashion and style ( I was somewhat disappointed by the film however). I just think theres an area in future tech design that should be about the look, not about a documentary on shots of corridors that look a certain way because they were transported in pieces and bolted together. OK, movie 1,2,and 3 used that thought process, and the result is they all look the same. Whats another solution to designs that you have to look at for 2 hours in a theatre and that justify the setting and technology? Its just my opinion based on watching sci-fi for 30 years. And yes, I'm sorry about the subject change from Ratatouille!

sean hargreaves
07-16-2007, 10:13 AM
One ABSOLUTELY last thing on this, then I'm done!!!
Everyone talks about how great 2001 looked, even today. Well, Kubrick did mountains of research on space travel and propulsion systems and looks, but you know what, in the end he had his designers design spacecraft that looked cool, and had personality, using a percentage of the tech he had learned about. Thats successful design! :thumbsup:

Titus
07-16-2007, 10:26 AM
Ratatouille = five stars.

CMT
07-16-2007, 10:55 AM
Yes, that's a great example. The tech was elegant and minimal. But also 2010 is a good example. Like how the Russian ship in 2010 was more industrial and harsh. This is what I was talking about. The impression that you want to give will effect how the tech will look. 2010 was made in 1984 towards the end of the cold war. At the time the US still viewed the Russians as somewhat hostile. Even though during the movie the Americans and Russians worked together (only because they had to to survive) the ship tech reflected the politics of the time.

It's great to have cool looking tech in a movie as long as it makes sense in the end.

toby
07-16-2007, 11:41 PM
I really hate these kind of films, but then im not 6-12 years old.
And yet you like... Space: 1999... :D
I think I kow even what episode your icon's from.

v1u1ant
07-17-2007, 05:12 AM
And yet you like... Space: 1999... :D
I think I kow even what episode your icon's from.

its a strange world indeed:D :thumbsup:

All i know is is that its Lovejoy in the future but without the antiques .

i guess youve seen the machinima 'this spartan life' that your avatar is from ?

toby
07-17-2007, 10:01 AM
its a strange world indeed:D :thumbsup:
All i know is is that its Lovejoy in the future but without the antiques .
Hm, don't remember any names, is that the one where the guy gets posessed by an energy being and sucks power from the moonbase? Or maybe the one where the guy sees his own future; burned to a crisp?

i guess youve seen the machinima 'this spartan life' that your avatar is from ?
My god, being a Halo fan (but not fanatic) I'm embarrassed to say I'd never heard of that. Looks like I got some reading to do :)

I usually use something I've worked on for my avatar, it's from 'starry night', I lit/rendered Master Chief for that one.

v1u1ant
07-17-2007, 12:33 PM
No no. Lovejoy was another program altogether. the dude in my avi is some actor called Ian Mcshane who was Lovejoy, an antiques dealer who also solved crime mysteries on the side. I think he was in 1999 once, which is the one where he gets posessed by the alien yea:D

http://www.thisspartanlife.com

kinda funny, best machinema ive seen, but i havn't really been looking for any new stuff.
I think because its set in Halo makes it that bit funnier. Im sure you could do this in a number of games......2nd life springs to mind, especially as you could make your own crazy avatars.