PDA

View Full Version : New system for VT-5/SpeedEdit

wtdedula
07-01-2007, 12:04 AM
Hello All;
I am planning to update my system with a brand new motherboard/cpu/memory for running the new VT5 when it is released as well as potentially SpeedEdit.

Can you tell me if these are good system specs. ?

1. ASUS P5WDG2-WS Pro ATX SERVER MOTHERBOARD
2. Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4 GHZ processor
3. 4 GB Corsair DDR2 800 (PC6400) RAM
4. EVGA GEForce 8800GTS 320 MB onboard memory PCI-Express X16 Graphics card.
5. Seagate Barracuda 500 GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0GB/Sec Drive

If not, what would you recommend changing? Thanks.

Tim

ScorpioProd
07-01-2007, 12:17 AM
What video drives and what operating system?

Have you considered a Q6600?

The video card is a bit overkill, I think I'd personally favor putting some of that toward a quad CPU, but it should work.

wtdedula
07-01-2007, 05:33 AM
Eugene;
For the video drive, another 500 GB Seagate SATA drive identical to the one in my specs. below.

Operating system I'm considering would be Windows XP Professional since I'm not ready to invest in Vista yet. I figure I'll wait until some of the bugs are worked out, and more software supports it. I also havn't considered XP 64 bit because I don't know much about it and what problems (if any) I'd encounter and if all my other software will have problems with it too.

Interesting you suggest to invest in a Quad Core system. I've consdiered that yesterday but didn't know much about them so I still went with a Dual Core.

Could VT-5 and Lightwave 9 take advantage of a Quad Core processor and would a Quad Core siginficantly increase the performance of VT-5 and rendering speed of a Lightwave scene ?

Tim

UnCommonGrafx
07-01-2007, 08:18 AM
YES! The core duo is making lw renders 3 to 5 times faster than my 'old' dual xeon box. Can't wait to see the "real" quads and the speeds they'll achieve.

ScorpioProd
07-01-2007, 12:17 PM
Eugene;
For the video drive, another 500 GB Seagate SATA drive identical to the one in my specs. below.

You might want to consider striping a pair. I realize that DV and HDV is only a relaxing 3.5MB/s, but margin is always good. I'm looking to stripe a pair of SATA-2 drives together. And hey, compared to the 4 Cheetahs striped together in my VT[4], that's TWICE the reliability at a tiny fraction of the cost, for 5 times the storage in my case.

Operating system I'm considering would be Windows XP Professional since I'm not ready to invest in Vista yet. I figure I'll wait until some of the bugs are worked out, and more software supports it. I also havn't considered XP 64 bit because I don't know much about it and what problems (if any) I'd encounter and if all my other software will have problems with it too.

I'd stick with Win XP for now as well.

Interesting you suggest to invest in a Quad Core system. I've consdiered that yesterday but didn't know much about them so I still went with a Dual Core.

Could VT-5 and Lightwave 9 take advantage of a Quad Core processor and would a Quad Core siginficantly increase the performance of VT-5 and rendering speed of a Lightwave scene ?

Tim
Well, like Robert said, LW would. SE is supposed to be fully multithreaded, so it should as well. Though as always, full use assumes that the CPU is actually the bottleneck in a particular function. I would expect to see the most benefit in rendering, be it in SE or in other applications.

VT[5], honestly, no one can answer that till it ships.

So why are you going with a 8800 graphics card? I haven't heard anything mentioning if VT[5] for virtual sets would need anything like that, but as for SE, it doesn't use the graphics card for anything beyond shader functions in your computer screen output. It's not like other NLEs that use GPU functions for their real work, it is purely CPU based. I'm looking at a 8600 series card.

ted
07-04-2007, 12:21 AM
I drooled over that 8800 GTX! But it took 2 slots and I ran out of room on my SuperMicro MB. I ended up with the 7950 for the 1/2 gig of independent memory over the 8600.

For real time performance, I strongly suggest fast multiple drives. I went with two, 4 drive arays with SATA ll 7200rpm 16mg for a total of 4 TB.

I posted a similar thread a few weeks back. There was some great input from smarter people then me. You can read their suggestions here:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69123

My new system plays 30 second spots with 25 to 30 amimated overlays, all turned to High Quality and ISS turned on without a single stutter. My old system couldn't do that without HQ & SS.

I wish you luck! I did over a month of 24-7 homework. But it paid off thanks in part to everyone's input.

wtdedula
07-05-2007, 03:56 AM
Hello All;
I've been quietly watching everyone's responses here and I thank you all who responded.

To answer Eugene's inquiry about why I would want a 8800 Graphics card with so much memory. I manage the design of educational simulations to inspire kids to pursue careers in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics and these sims are highly graphically oriented. And while I spend much more time using productivity software (3D, Video Editing, etc ...) once in a while, I buy video games and I have a lots of game-playing friends.

I am thinking about installing multiple drives (as Ted reminded me I should) and in fact, I have a few questions related to this topic that I'm going to post separately.

Tim