PDA

View Full Version : Can't see textures in modeler!

sean hargreaves
06-30-2007, 01:41 PM
Guys, when I loaded a skyscraper into modeler I bought on Turbosquid.com, I can't see the textures. I can't see the window size for example, and therefore I'm having a hard time scaling it. Please help!

cresshead
06-30-2007, 02:07 PM
go to your surfaces panel and select a surface name that looks like it should have the windows...open up the color or diffuse window and see if the UV map has been applied and the image loaded into that slot..

also in modeler make sure your viewing with the drop down set to 'texture' for the viewport...it's at the top left of each viewport in modeler.

also have a look in the zip to see if there's a pik/texure with your model...

sean hargreaves
06-30-2007, 02:34 PM
YIPPEE (clicking of heels) Cresshead, thanks!!!! It was the drop down menu that says Texture on it. Thanks a lot!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :D

sean hargreaves
06-30-2007, 02:53 PM
WAIT! Now whats happened? Why are'nt my testures scaled to the bulding? :confused:

munky
06-30-2007, 06:40 PM
Sean,

if you have scaled your model in modeller then your textures won't have scaled with it! You will have to either re download the model and scale it in layout or scale it in modeller and rescale your textures to fit!

regards

Paul

sean hargreaves
06-30-2007, 06:56 PM
Paul, so what you're saying is, I go to Layout and load the building, and the texture will be the right size/scale on the building? But in modeler, it will need to be resized?

sean hargreaves
06-30-2007, 11:07 PM
Megalodon, its a .3ds file. Does this help in your helping of me? Automatic sizing made the texture too big. :thumbsdow

toby
07-01-2007, 12:01 AM
Automatic size will work only if the texture was built to the exact size of the object, or the bounding box of the surface with the texture on it.

What and Why were you scaling in your first post?
Textures do not scale with geometry in modeler, unless it is uv mapped to the geometry.

munky
07-01-2007, 05:45 AM
Hi Sean,

I don't know too much about 3ds files and how they import with textures (as in how LW interprets a different formats texturing), but I'm assuming that you are rescaling it to fit in with stuff that you already have in modeller. If you are then you will have to rescale the texture to fit.

the attached image shows the same box scaled up so you can see that the texture keeps it's size it just repeats.

regards

Paul

sean hargreaves
07-01-2007, 09:10 AM
Ok Paul, thats what I'm talking about. I get the tiled version. But how do I make the building smaller (in modeler while watching so I can scale it), and then, if I want to size everything at once, building and texture? I know this is fundamental, I've just got a brain block on this issuse for some reason!

cresshead
07-01-2007, 09:44 AM
send the 3ds file if you want and i'll have a look for you

[email protected]

sean hargreaves
07-01-2007, 10:52 AM
Cresshead, thanks a lot for the offer of looking at the file, but I finally got it sorted out. Whew! My small brain could'nt figure out something fundamental. It ended up being a uv map, and a rotation/scale issue when loading. Thanks for everyones help! :beerchug: