PDA

View Full Version : Transformers

voriax
06-30-2007, 07:47 AM
So .. Just saw it yesterday and surprised there are no threads about it yet..
So, to those who have seen it; Thoughts? Criticisms?

Personally I thought it was alright, but the transformers were almost TOO detailed. They are so full of bits and pieces all over the place that you don't know where to look when they're robots. Gets hard to follow some of the action as well, since they all start to look alike from a distance...

Great CG though, a lot of work went into it. Character animation left a bit to be desired....

Bytehawk
06-30-2007, 08:49 AM
I 'll only get to see it from the 27th - lousy international release shedules. :(

sean hargreaves
06-30-2007, 09:55 AM
They made them very detailed so that they could 'mask' some of the transforming. But yeah, its a bit much in some areas. Some of the single frames took 35 hours to render....yikes!!

hrgiger
06-30-2007, 01:28 PM
Some of the single frames took 35 hours to render....yikes!!

That doesn't seem out of control. Pixar used to boast 96 hour renders per frame.

sean hargreaves
06-30-2007, 10:10 PM
Well, taking into account the items being rendered, and the advancement of technology, its getting better, but still its ages!

zapper1998
07-01-2007, 10:08 AM
Looks Like a good movie, the previews anyways, they always show the good parts of the movie in there trailers, arrghhh..

[(Slatttt Blllaaaammmm) as the fly hits the wall at mach 2]

toby
07-01-2007, 02:40 PM
I'll see it for the fx, but not really expecting a good movie - still haven't seen Pirates3 or Spidey3, and have no plans to 'cuz no one can recommend them, even for the fx -

sean hargreaves
07-01-2007, 05:11 PM
The problem with a lot of cg action films right now is the obsessive use of what I term the 'bumblebee camera'. That is, whenever we go from live action into a cg driven scene, the camera goes apes--t! So, the suspension of disbelief is, well.....not-suspended! You immediately know you're in a cg situation, and everyones tired of it. Spider Man 3 is a huge violater of this problem (in fact so was SM2 and SM1). You go from shooting 2 people in a room, to outside in a mostly cg environment, and the camera is buzzing around. And I'm sorry guys, but Spidey is just never in peril flying around, he's almost weightless. Just an opinion.
Pirates 1 and 2, fun stuff. Pirates 3..........snore......

Andyjaggy
07-01-2007, 07:51 PM
I liked Pirates 3, alot better then 2 anyways. It was entertaining and the CG was great. That's about it though, probably won't buy it when it comes on DVD. The first one is still the best.

I think people were expecting too much, I mean it's a movie about pirates and gold and curses for crying out loud. What do you want a masterpiece.

flakester
07-01-2007, 08:24 PM
The problem with a lot of cg action films right now is the obsessive use of what I term the 'bumblebee camera'.

Amen to that one. A lot of what happens with CG these days is people thinking that because they can, they should.

Sometimes less is more. A touch of subtlety (sp?) in places can go a long way!

Anyhoo, looking forward to both Transformers and Ratatouille later on this month! :thumbsup:

flakester.

toby
07-01-2007, 08:32 PM
I agree expecting too much can cause you to be let down. I enjoyed p2 because I expected very little. But I have a friend who worked on p3, and thinks it's crap. What you said about p3 is about what I said about p2, and I'm just not motivated enough to go out to a theatre for a third helping. I'll see it when it comes out on blu-ray, I do want to see those fx - and be able to fast-forward :D and freeze frame too

Anyhoo, looking forward to both Transformers and Ratatouille later on this month!
Totally :thumbsup:

sean hargreaves
07-01-2007, 10:11 PM
Well, what I was saying about Pirates 3 was that they said it all in Pirates 2. There were a lot more gags in P2 and I was in awe of the cg characters, especially squidhead guy (can't remember his name). But Andyjaggy, I never expected a masterpiece, I just wanted some cool new characters and gags. I mean, yes its pirates, but after I've seen 20 scenes of 20 shots from 20 angles of guys getting stabbed, blungeoned, chopped I'm ready to go to something else. :thumbsup:

Andyjaggy
07-02-2007, 07:26 AM
true. very true.

Mr Rid
07-12-2007, 08:03 PM
I think this says it-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGQsthDNGW0

toby
07-13-2007, 03:43 AM
I think this says it-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGQsthDNGW0
THAT is pure genius. That's South Park quality, that is. Of course they ripped off the style, but they pulled it off beautifully.

spec24
07-13-2007, 06:18 AM
Saw Transformers and loved it. You're right though about the use of the "bumblebee camera". It used to look really cool and add a sense of reality to cg films because it was unusual for the camera to move during cg, now with tech advances it's so much easier to acheive that look. I loved all the "bits and pieces" - felt more real to me. Thought for what they had to work with (a pretty "toony" kids toy... don't get me wrong - the Transformers are cool, but when made into a live action film you never know what you're going to get) they made a very good film.

toby
07-15-2007, 08:45 PM
Bad! Bad Film!

RUN, do not Walk, to the nearest exit!

I'm not someone who stops watching something that *might* have something good in it, but if I was, I would've walked out of this one - I really thought about it. The screenplay and dialogue were crap! FX were ok, but only when you could see them, when the camera stopped swinging around, which was hardly ever. Some scenes were pointless and dragged on and on. 3D integration could have been much better. Considering they didn't have cloth, hair or even water to deal with, the FX could've been a lot better.

Safe Harbor
07-16-2007, 09:02 AM
I enjoyed it, and wasn't bothered at all by the close proximity of the camera to the action. I think it helped with the feeling of scale, just how LARGE they were in comparison to a person's POV.

I think the only thing I found weird was how "light on their feet" they were. No metal clanking, they could jump off a building and land silently? That didn't mesh.

sean hargreaves
07-16-2007, 10:18 AM
Ohhhhh......Tiffany........:D

Safe Harbor
07-16-2007, 11:59 AM
Oh Shawn.....

CMT
07-16-2007, 12:10 PM
Ohhhhh......Tiffany........:D

Oh Shawn.....

Get a room! :D

sean hargreaves
07-16-2007, 01:23 PM
Its Sean..........:thumbsup:

SBowie
07-16-2007, 02:02 PM
And it's "Tiffani" ... making "Shawn" fair game. ;)

Safe Harbor
07-16-2007, 02:21 PM
And it's "Tiffani" ... making "Shawn" fair game. ;)

Yup, you got it! :thumbsup:

toby
07-16-2007, 11:42 PM
Actually I'm amazed any of it would take 35 hours - especially if what I heard is true, they didn't use raytraced reflections for anything but closeups, and then only 1 bounce. And renderman is extremely fast without raytracing -

voriax
07-17-2007, 08:51 AM
This will be one of those movies worth getting on dvd just to play transformations and such in slow motion to see how many object intersections there are. It couldn't have been easy trying to keep them from touching...

Darth Mole
07-17-2007, 09:02 AM
This will be one of those movies worth getting on dvd just to play transformations and such in slow motion to see how many object intersections there are. It couldn't have been easy trying to keep them from touching...

Your evenings must just fly past...

flakester
07-17-2007, 09:25 AM
I can't have too much of a pop.....

*bows head in shame* - I have watched Toy Story 2, Monsters Inc and The Incredibles, literally frame by frame.

Well, it stops me from standing about on street corners scaring people! :p

flakester.

sean hargreaves
07-17-2007, 11:09 AM
We have Optimus Prime here at the fx company I'm at and there are a lot of intersecting pieces, I mean, how could there not be?

And, yes I apologise for my spelling Tiffani. :D

Safe Harbor
07-17-2007, 12:58 PM
And, yes I apologise for my spelling Tiffani. :D

:beerchug: No problem! You aren't the first... My mom told me once that she spelled my name "wrong" so that people had to think about me TWICE. :D

sean hargreaves
07-17-2007, 02:02 PM
How about dinner tonight Tiff? :D

Safe Harbor
07-18-2007, 01:43 PM
You're on! Should I bring wine or beer?

toby
07-18-2007, 11:41 PM
Nicholas Gurewitch has got Michael Bay beat

http://pbfcomics.com/

oDDity
07-19-2007, 01:16 AM
Grow up and stop watching kids movies, and then you won't be constantly disappointed.
When are you going to get it through your thick skulls that quality is low on the list of priorities, because you don't have to make a quality movie to generate big bucks, kids (and guys like you) will watch anything remotely kewl or hyped, and it's much easier to make a bad movie than a good one, so why bother to put in any effort.

toby
07-19-2007, 01:25 AM
oDDity's on the rag again.

Exception
07-19-2007, 01:36 AM
I watched this film tonight, as we found ourselves stranded in Salt Lake City, during the road trip that I am making with my friend... it was the perfect end to a night in a city that is bland, dull, institutionalised and sterile. It had nice special effects and there were one or two good shots in it, but the script, music, acting and narrative were just awful, not to mention the blatant and horrible product placement (which transformer is a blimey Solstice?!), and horrifying political insinuations. But it was better than a night on the town in this place... whooo.

oDDity
07-19-2007, 02:14 AM
oDDity's on the rag again.

Well, ffs, Spiderman, Pirates, Transformers - have you guys really got no better way to spend your time than watching this crap -and then being disappointed when it isn't good.
Crap that is so obviously designed for the mentality and intellectual capacity of 12 year old boys.
Lowest common denominator, that's how to pull in the most revenue.
This is why I generally dislike and don't get along with CG people, I can imagine you all sitting around in pubs, drinking alcohol (you all think beer is cool as well) and talking excitedly about the latest kiddie movie without the slightest hint of irony.

archijam
07-19-2007, 06:40 AM
(you all think beer is cool as well)

oDD, we gotta get out and about some time together. There are many reasons to drink beer, and the 'cool factor' is not one of them...

Is there a drink I should try instead of beer? What is a 'cool' substitute?

And speaking of which, how can you stand living in Ireland, land of pubs and nooks (it's an Irish thing)? :stumped:

j.

CMT
07-19-2007, 07:38 AM
Sean and Tiffani sittin' in a tree... M-O-D-E-L-I-N-G! :D

Crap that is so obviously designed for the mentality and intellectual capacity of 12 year old boys..

That's probably why you don't like that stuff. When you finally reach that capacity, maybe you'll understand better.

iconoclasty
07-19-2007, 11:05 AM
:ohmy: cheap but hilarious.

sean hargreaves
07-19-2007, 11:48 AM
Guys...shhhhhhh.....keep it quiet, me and Tiffany are talking..............

toby
07-19-2007, 12:06 PM
Well, ffs, Spiderman, Pirates, Transformers - have you guys really got no better way to spend your time than watching this crap -and then being disappointed when it isn't good.
Oh you're the guy I've heard about - the one whose never been to a bad movie.

Also the one who judges things without seeing them too, I guess.

Some of us are in the visual effects industry. We'd be morons to ignore things that come out of ILM.

oDDity
07-19-2007, 01:14 PM
aha, so that's your excuse.
'Honestly officer, going to see all these kiddie flicks is just like going to work for me'
The truth is that the visual effects industry are a collection of career curves who rent out their ******** to the highest bidder, and do nothing but (badly) prop up a pathetic and flailing movie industry with kewl FX that give movies producers even less incentive to make anything other than vacuous tripe.

Safe Harbor
07-19-2007, 01:15 PM
Guys...shhhhhhh.....keep it quiet, me and Tiffany are talking..............

Short memory there, Shawn? :hey: :D

Bytehawk
07-19-2007, 02:26 PM
no beer for me,
I'll stick to Gin+tonic or whisky or good old rhum

guess me and oDD have something in common after all ;)

toby
07-19-2007, 03:30 PM
aha, so that's your excuse.
'Honestly officer, going to see all these kiddie flicks is just like going to work for me'
The truth is that the visual effects industry are a collection of career curves who rent out their ******** to the highest bidder, and do nothing but (badly) prop up a pathetic and flailing movie industry with kewl FX that give movies producers even less incentive to make anything other than vacuous tripe.
Yea I like the Powerpuff Girls too, but I don't need excuses, they rock.

But maybe you're right, instead of having tons of fun learning to be a better artist while also making a good living, I should try to be completely arrogant. I'm sure that's the key to happiness, just look at you. Joy is just oozing from your every spiteful adjective.

No beer and no movies - no wonder you're miserable!
:cursin:

oDDity
07-19-2007, 03:39 PM
Yep, and the people who make all these crap movies have exactly the same attitude as you
'F**k it, I'm having fun and I'm earning money, so who gives a sh!t if it's any good or not'.
You'll fit right in.

archijam
07-19-2007, 03:41 PM
no beer for me,
I'll stick to Gin+tonic or whisky or good old rhum

SHAME on you .. living in Belgium and not drinking beer! Niet te geloven.

Bring on the Duvel, the Lucifer, Forbidden Fruit and ... any other belgian beer that has anything to do with Satan :thumbsup: :devil: :thumbsup:

j.

sean hargreaves
07-19-2007, 03:56 PM
Damn it you guys, you're screwing things up, I'm trying to have a quiet moment here!!!!

Sorry Tiffani, my spelling, did'nt mean to call you Tiffany. And don't let these guys bother you!

toby
07-19-2007, 05:46 PM
Yep, and the people who make all these crap movies have exactly the same attitude as you
'F**k it, I'm having fun and I'm earning money, so who gives a sh!t if it's any good or not'.
You'll fit right in.
So do you think Pixar's work is vacuous tripe too? Just curious -

archijam
07-20-2007, 01:20 AM
Sounds like it's time to have a 'Top 5 movies with any kind of CG digital effects' thread .. I'd be interested to hear oDD's list ..

.. and we could give Sean and Tiff some nice viewing suggestions ..

j.

oDDity
07-20-2007, 01:58 AM
I couldn't think of 5, but Terminator 2 would probably be at the top. A great example of how to integrate FX into a polished movie to make it even better, not just to prop it up.
Interesting that it came right back near the start of the serious CG era in movies.
Another thing was, it was more amazing to see, because you hadn't actually seen a lot of that stuff before (like the liquid metal effects)
Nowadays, fx are almost boring to watch, since they are totally overused, even in TV adverts.

Also, I liked some of the Fx sequences in LotR, though I disliked a lot of the directing, editing and the screenplay. It's main asset was the visuals, and that's a problem with movies today, they rely too heavily on visual fx to carry the movie.

archijam
07-20-2007, 02:08 AM
Also, I liked some of the Fx sequences in LotR, though I disliked a lot of the directing, editing and the screenplay. It's main asset was the visuals, and that's a problem with movies today, they rely too heavily on visual fx to carry the movie.

Amen to that.

What would be your -least- detested animated feature?

This is turning into a (long overdue) oDDity interview ;)

j.

oDDity
07-20-2007, 02:10 AM
I don't know, I don't watch animated movies.

So do you think Pixar's work is vacuous tripe too? Just curious -

Well, I suppose they keep kids entertained for a few hours, so you might say it has some value, but then, kids are so easily amused that it's hardly a claim to greatness for a product.
I've never seen a pixar movie, and never will, having zero interest in such nonsense.

toby
07-20-2007, 02:17 AM
Sounds like it's time to have a 'Top 5 movies with any kind of CG digital effects' thread .. I'd be interested to hear oDD's list ..

.. and we could give Sean and Tiff some nice viewing suggestions ..

j.
Actually since I've gotten a Blu-ray player I'm becoming a fan of movies that are B.C.... Before (digital) Compositing. When they really had to shoot everything just right. The images are incredibly detailed, and you really see the beauty of film. CG movies and movies that are composited heavily can't take full advantage of 1080p video, I've watched Monster House and Silent Hill in bluray and there's clearly less detail. For example in Monster House the bump maps were pretty obviously recognizable.

Silent Hill had great effects btw, done by Buf.

Stooch
07-20-2007, 02:34 AM
Crap that is so obviously designed for the mentality and intellectual capacity of 12 year old boys.
Lowest common denominator, that's how to pull in the most revenue.
This is why I generally dislike and don't get along with CG people, I can imagine you all sitting around in pubs, drinking alcohol (you all think beer is cool as well) and talking excitedly about the latest kiddie movie without the slightest hint of irony.

hmm speaking of imagining. i imagine you sitting all alone in your apartment [text removed by the moderators.] ...tears brought on by the discontent and overall disappointment in the human race. you really should pour all that angst into a sculpture of some sort. something original that truly comes from the bottom of your heart.

cleanse your soul through originality. you seem to love it so much, why not champion it and blow us all away ?

archijam
07-20-2007, 02:35 AM
Silent Hill had great effects btw, done by Buf.

.. but an unforgivable screenplay. Even for a game-remake. Made resident evil look like high art :)

j.

sammael
07-20-2007, 02:40 AM
Well, I suppose they keep kids entertained for a few hours, so you might say it has some value, but then, kids are so easily amused that it's hardly a claim to greatness for a product.
I've never seen a pixar movie, and never will, having zero interest in such nonsense.

Perhaps you should see some, some of the pixar films are actually quite well done and have quite a few 'adult' gags thrown in to keep the parents interested. There are some very clever and interesting stories amongst them.
My girlfriend loves them so I always grudgingly see them but it has become a lot less grudging lately when I discovered that the last 4 pixar films I saw were all excelent nemo, cars, incredibles and ratatoulle were all great stories with a lot of emotion and very solid storylines, more than I can say for 90% of the feature I have watched lately which is quite a few.
There are some annoying aspects as with most American films and they are designed for kids but I dont think you can judge any of these films harshly if you have not seen them, I would guarantee that you would be suprised as to the overall quality.
I cant comment on transformers because I have not seen it but I agree with you that T2 was one of the better modern FX films and spiderman 3 was absolute garbage, in fact I hated it with a passion. But some of this pixar stuff is realy quite good, I too assumed that it would be rubbish and never wanted to see any of it. Thats simply not the case suprisingly.

oDDity
07-20-2007, 03:04 AM
hmm speaking of imagining. i imagine you sitting all alone in your apartment [text removed by the moderators] ...tears brought on by the discontent and overall disappointment in the human race. you really should pour all that angst into a sculpture of some sort. something original that truly comes from the bottom of your heart.

cleanse your soul through originality. you seem to love it so much, why not champion it and blow us all away ?

Ooh boohoo, the nasty man criticised a Russian film.

Read it and weep. Your compatriots can be as bad at making movies as the yanks, and this was nothing but a cynical populist blockbuster, exactly like its American counterparts, and was criticised as such in Russia.

oDDity
07-20-2007, 03:07 AM
But some of this pixar stuff is realy quite good, I too assumed that it would be rubbish and never wanted to see any of it. Thats simply not the case suprisingly.

Well, I might give them a go then. Problem is, you have to call it quits at some point, when you waste time looking at so much trash and hating it, it's hard to know what to bother with and what not to bother with, so I just write the whole lot off and do anything else instead.
I already know they're just not my style though.

Mr Rid
07-20-2007, 04:45 AM

LOTR, vapid but pretty.

Yes. 99% of all studio films are just about looks- good looking actors, good looking sets locations and costumes, good looking FX... technique is all they excel at. The spectacle holds up the story instead of the other way around.

Children of Men was part of the 1% exception. Amazing supporting use of digital and editing. The action scenes have such realism and go on continuously for several minutes without a single cut. And the hero never once touches a gun.

Stooch
07-20-2007, 04:59 AM

Read it and weep. Your compatriots can be as bad at making movies as the yanks, and this was nothing but a cynical populist blockbuster, exactly like its American counterparts, and was criticised as such in Russia.

lol. you know why i will never be upset by your opinion?

because its your opinion.

as far as my comment. its just a silly observation taht you seem to be in a never ending lament. mr glass half empty.

CMT
07-20-2007, 07:48 AM
hmm speaking of imagining. i imagine you sitting all alone in your apartment [edited by the mods]...

That's more offensive and derogatory than anything oDD's ever said.

You've said that type of thing before.... about sculpting apps!

Safe Harbor
07-20-2007, 07:51 AM
Damn it you guys, you're screwing things up, I'm trying to have a quiet moment here!!!!

Sorry Tiffani, my spelling, did'nt mean to call you Tiffany. And don't let these guys bother you!

<sniff> Is that the other woman in your life?

sean hargreaves
07-20-2007, 10:05 AM
Its these guys distracting me Tiff...they get all carried away.........

Marvin Miller
07-20-2007, 10:41 AM
To get back on topic...

I saw Transformers a couple weeks ago and I had a great time. The story was paper thin, but I expected that going in.

There were at least 3-4 scenes in it that made me think "That's why I'm here, that was so cool".

I've also had the opportunity to be in a discussion with one of the lead animators on the film and I can say a lot of hard work and care went into the making of it.

bluerider
07-20-2007, 11:06 AM

Yeah, russian a film and your bound to make misytakes, like I rush my spelling.

Slow down.

Stooch
07-20-2007, 12:26 PM

SCORE!!!! what do i win?

sean hargreaves
07-20-2007, 12:28 PM
Hey Oddity, dont make fun of the yanks. At least yanks make films that a lot of people 'see'.

Lets review yanks contributions:

1) Plane
2) Home computer
3) Lightbulb
4) Car (arguable)
5) Electricity

And, saving your countries *** when you get attacked en mass! :twak:

CMT
07-20-2007, 01:47 PM
SCORE!!!! what do i win?

A trip to oDDity's School of Charm and Sensitivity.

toby
07-20-2007, 02:08 PM

Actually, it's not

CMT
07-20-2007, 02:40 PM
Actually, oDDity's been banned from here for less than that.

He's called people morons, wannabe's, ripped apart their art, etc.... But I've never heard him say anything quite as distasteful as Stooch's comment nor heard anything like that on any other forum. Just felt it was a bit over the line.

Sure, we've heard the occasional sexual comments here before, but it's usually in good humor. But I've never seen them directed toward someone else in an insulting way on these forums.

bluerider
07-20-2007, 02:48 PM
Well, I might give them a go then. Problem is, you have to call it quits at some point, when you waste time looking at so much trash and hating it, it's hard to know what to bother with and what not to bother with, so I just write the whole lot off and do anything else instead.
I already know they're just not my style though.

Start with Incredibles, I really like the characters in that.

toby
07-20-2007, 03:07 PM

He's called people morons, wannabe's, ripped apart their art, etc.... But I've never heard him say anything quite as distasteful as Stooch's comment nor heard anything like that on any other forum. Just felt it was a bit over the line.

Sure, we've heard the occasional sexual comments here before, but it's usually in good humor. But I've never seen them directed toward someone else in an insulting way on these forums.
We probably shouldn't be discussing this here

Titus
07-20-2007, 04:30 PM
Why this troll is always capable of derailling inocent threads?

Titus
07-20-2007, 04:35 PM
BTW, I didn't like the movie at all. It wasn't even funny.

Stooch
07-20-2007, 09:14 PM

i guess you missed all his references to child molestation. But honestly, I am honored to have had such a lasting impact on you. I only hope that no one supplants me in your rank of offensiveness. Bless your fragile mind.

CMT
07-21-2007, 02:14 PM
Guess, I must have...

Fragile?, no... I don't think so. Considerate of others? Yes.

Couldn't resist a little jab at me too, eh? Hehe...

If you really think that kind of coment is appropriate for public forums, then by all means continue..... I'm sure the moderators will ablige.

archijam
07-21-2007, 02:39 PM
Totally with you CMT.

Stooch, what's up? Why so antsy? When it comes to oDDity's posts, I laugh at many, fraown at some and ignore the rest ..

j.

toby
07-21-2007, 02:50 PM
eh, two people who don't care about anyone but themselves - let them attack each other for a change, fine by me

toby
07-21-2007, 02:55 PM
.. but an unforgivable screenplay. Even for a game-remake. Made resident evil look like high art :)

j.
It was much better than resident evil! Especially the ending

Stooch
07-21-2007, 03:29 PM
eh, two people who don't care about anyone but themselves - let them attack each other for a change, fine by me

im sure you care about everyone right?

Stooch
07-21-2007, 03:35 PM
Totally with you CMT.

Stooch, what's up? Why so antsy? When it comes to oDDity's posts, I laugh at many, fraown at some and ignore the rest ..

j.

lol what do you think i do?

hint: doesnt involve tears.

toby
07-21-2007, 05:22 PM
im sure you care about everyone right?
No you're right - I despise eveybody as much as you do, we're all just like you. We're just pretending to be nice so that we look superior to you. We actually hate it when it's good-natured and civilized on the forums.

Stooch
07-21-2007, 06:16 PM
We actually hate it when it's good-natured and civilized on the forums.

lol i can see that.

sammael
07-24-2007, 02:06 AM
Hmmm well I went and saw this... average and typical just about sums it up I think, shallow storyline, badly written & directed, incredibly annoying in places but decent CG.

StereoMike
07-24-2007, 03:27 AM
I enjoyed watching it. It's a popcorn movie, something to waste some hours and got to bed without thinking about global warming, DRM or democracy.
It's Michael Bay, so don't expect something mind-challenging. I wonder how some people could be disappointed. After all we knew before who made the film.

btw. it's a shame how you all give so much attention to odd's egocentric attitude. You're feeding him.

mike

Iain
07-24-2007, 04:57 AM
Hey Oddity, dont make fun of the yanks. At least yanks make films that a lot of people 'see'.

Lets review yanks contributions:

1) Plane
2) Home computer
3) Lightbulb
4) Car (arguable)
5) Electricity

And, saving your countries *** when you get attacked en mass! :twak:

I love posts like this. The written word very rarely makes me laugh out loud. If there's no irony involved it's even better!

Thanks, Sean.:thumbsup:

StereoMike
07-24-2007, 05:21 AM
Cause these are all german inventions.

Iain
07-24-2007, 05:34 AM

Well, except for electricity-I invented that.
Oh, and the aeroplane-that was my Dad.

Kuzey
07-24-2007, 05:39 AM

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Didn't some Italian guy invent those hundreds of years ago, what's his name....Leo something :hey:

kuzey

Kuzey
07-24-2007, 05:47 AM

I once invented a paper plane. It was so cool...a jet, a glider and a stunt plane all in one.

:D

Kuzey

StevieB
07-24-2007, 06:46 AM
Ugh - he is getting a little bit irritating already and I just joined (oDD)

Why does he always have to be so negative?

StereoMike
07-24-2007, 06:59 AM
Lomonosov? I guess he's Russian, and if you ask Russians, he's the one who invented everything on the list.

mike

sean hargreaves
07-24-2007, 10:29 AM
I'm not even American, I'm from Northern Ireland.........

sean hargreaves
07-24-2007, 10:32 AM
Sorry, just kidding (oDD).

Whatever you say about the U.S. and who invented what, it welcomes new ideas without a huge European scepticism, then gets on with it.

sean hargreaves
07-24-2007, 10:37 AM
Hey guys, I just read that Oddity has been banned from the forums.
Now we can continue with helping one another without being derailed, which this thread was and we all seem to end up being a part of the derailment.

StereoMike
07-24-2007, 12:06 PM
It kinda feels like the ending of Star wars VI, dancing Ewoks and fireworks everywhere, galaxy is at peace :D

mike

sean hargreaves
07-24-2007, 01:34 PM
Ha!

jasonwestmas
07-24-2007, 02:08 PM
i guess you missed all his references to child molestation.

Oh yeah I remember that one, he used it to counter act my logic :P That was one of the few times I thought he was totally hammered.:twak: He didn't even get banned for that.

bluerider
07-24-2007, 02:16 PM
Well, except for electricity-I invented that.

Stooch
07-24-2007, 10:01 PM
Lomonosov? I guess he's Russian, and if you ask Russians, he's the one who invented everything on the list.

mike

lol. lomonosov translates literally to "nose breaker"

toby
07-24-2007, 11:01 PM
I enjoyed watching it. It's a popcorn movie, something to waste some hours and got to bed without thinking about global warming, DRM or democracy.
It's Michael Bay, so don't expect something mind-challenging. I wonder how some people could be disappointed. After all we knew before who made the film.
Nobody expected anything mind challenging, I expected Bay quality, and was still shocked. Far worse than Bad Boys, even worse than Armaggedon. If my expectations had been low enough not to hate it, I would never have gone to see it in the first place.

btw. it's a shame how you all give so much attention to odd's egocentric attitude. You're feeding him.

Well when it's a choice between feeding him (as if we started it!) and eating his shizzle...

Jim_C
07-24-2007, 11:10 PM
even worse than Armaggedon. ..

Now THAT'S pretty rough.

StereoMike
07-25-2007, 03:04 AM
Well when it's a choice between feeding him (as if we started it!) and eating his shizzle...

So what do you think will an ignorelist do for you? :D
Oddy was on several ignorelists.

There's an easy way to avoid being insulted, and that is simply to loop the insult from the left ear directly thru to the right ear.
And that really works.
Hey but afterall, these problems are a thing of the past.

Peace,
mike

Bytehawk
07-25-2007, 05:48 AM
just saw Transformers today. Pretty pictures, nice female cast, great robots.
The plot was simple but you would expect that.

What annoyed me is that they changed too much in the way characters transform. The sliding of geometry was unbelievable in some shots. ( a window moving across the surface of the robot for instance )

hrgiger
07-25-2007, 01:12 PM
Yeah, I was stuck in New Hampshire the day before but fortunately near a movie theatre. I had the day to kill so I took in Live Free or Die Hard and Transformers, a double feature of mindless entertainment.
I didn't think Transformers was horrible but then again, I went in with no expectations either. I have to agree with some criticism of the critics who bombed this movie. What were they expecting, Shakesphere? It's about Transforming robots for gods sake. I didn't like the look of a lot of the robots, they were so overdone you coudln't make out an arm from a leg from the head half the time, but I did like the choice of vehicles. The dialogue was awful (but again expected) It entertained me for a few hours so I got what I paid for. I don't know that I'll be there for a Transformers 2.

jasonwestmas
07-25-2007, 01:22 PM
I think if people are going to use a nostalgic referance by using the well known name (By 80's kids) "Tranformers" they should stick to some nostalgic content. I haven't seen the movie but I read about it and it seems the only thing nostalgic is the optimus prime model. Everything else could fit into a brand new title. What do you guys think about that? I mean what do they do to make you actually care about what is going on in the film. I can watch a huge explosion or a complicated clutter of metal flying around smashing into other objects but is that entertaining if that's what you are observing for two hours?

jasonwestmas
07-25-2007, 01:22 PM
Please don't make a thundercats movie holly.

Marvin Miller
07-25-2007, 02:56 PM
Please don't make a thundercats movie holly.

Too late. ;) (At least it's still in the script phase, so it's still possible it won't be made.)

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117966320.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

theo
07-25-2007, 03:00 PM
I can't help it man. I found the film inescapably fun. Loaded with absolute kid-grade nonsense but I just loved how fun the thing was. I received my ticket's worth for sure.

sean hargreaves
07-25-2007, 03:35 PM
One name > Megan Fox :thumbsup:

jasonwestmas
07-25-2007, 07:04 PM
Too late. ;) (At least it's still in the script phase, so it's still possible it won't be made.)

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117966320.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

LOL Marvin!

I Knew I smelled a trendy pattern. That's so 80's:help: :boogiedow

toby
07-25-2007, 11:00 PM
I have to agree with some criticism of the critics who bombed this movie. What were they expecting, Shakesphere? It's about Transforming robots for gods sake.
I don't agree with that at all. I like lots of movies that I know are shiznit, but I don't question peoples' opinion if they call them what they are. I hated it despite having low expectations.

toby
07-25-2007, 11:06 PM
LOL Marvin!

I Knew I smelled a trendy pattern. That's so 80's:help: :boogiedow
I'm sure they look at every possible old kids show to see if it's worth making into a movie - can't wait for the Go-Bots ;D

toby
07-25-2007, 11:10 PM
So what do you think will an ignorelist do for you? :D
Oddy was on several ignorelists.
I've been wondering abut that, what does it do? I mean you can still post to the same threads, and respond to each others' posts, right? I just never saw how it could help -

sammael
07-25-2007, 11:19 PM
Oh come on people, its a sad state of affairs when you go out and see a blockbuster movie expecting it to be sh!t.
Im not saying I expected any better myself but it would be nice to get a surprise for once. I mean it could not have been any worse even if they tried, so typical and predictable, what does it take to get someone to write a decent script?
I mean whats the formula for these movies? 'lets get the worst director we can possibly find and a group of 20 people to write a formula script over the perod of 2 days then spend hundreds of millions of dollars and 6 months getting ILM to do the effects' and bingo! another crap film that tops the charts.
The sad thing is the ammount of people who genuinely did think it was great and worse the people who liked it because it had some rotten bogen chick with a nice arse in it, I mean thats about the most shallow reason you can get to enjoy a film.
And dont say 'what did you expect from a kids movie?' because I expect a lot more, the last few cartoon movies I wached were 100x better. I might as well have been watching Independance Day again but possibly worse.
Could they possibly have written a worse script for the main character? NO
It had potential as a decent film but no, wrecked again by American ideals and general bad taste.
It was like biting into a Snickers bar with a rotten peanut inside.

StereoMike
07-26-2007, 01:51 AM
@ Toby: An ignorelist is a simple filter. You won't see any posts of the particular persons on the list. So they can't insult you any longer.

mike

archijam
07-26-2007, 01:59 AM
@ Toby: An ignorelist is a simple filter. You won't see any posts of the particular persons on the list. So they can't insult you any longer.

... or say nice things to you. Or their posts about kittens. You will just never see their posts, good or bad.

Of course! NT could hvae just put oDD on everybody's ignore list, then he could have just run around the forums shouting but no-one would hear.

Kinda like the girl at the end of Silent Hill.

j.

Iain
07-26-2007, 02:40 AM
Could they possibly have written a worse script for the main character? NO
It had potential as a decent film but no, wrecked again by American ideals and general bad taste.

That's what I don't understand about blockbusters-why spend millions and have the highest standards for all the visual elements but no-one seems to care about the dialogue? It must be deliberate because the screenwriters are paid millions and have proven track records.

I'm no million dollar screenwriter but I know for a fact that even I could have taken Bruce Willis' banter with the hacker in Die Hard 4 and made it ten times better.
Willis: "How do you know all that stuff?"
Hacker:"I-I-I there's loads of stuff rattling around up here" and with that the camera pans away slowly.
What? That's not good enough! Put a joke in there-or a poignant line about his solitary life as a hacker. Anything!

A little effort with the script is all it would have taken to make it more like the 70's Pacino and De Niro equivalents which were, and still are, memorable and a joy to watch.

CMT
07-26-2007, 07:33 AM
I'm just glad I still had the animated Transformers movie on hand when I got back from the theater..... Salvaged the night somewhat.

Bog
08-06-2007, 06:52 AM
I really enjoyed that. There were bits where I'd've paid good money for a wide shot, but I get the sneaking suspicion that it was pushing available rendering tech with sheer Level of Detail and number of articulations. Might be wrong, o'course.

Then again, I don't have any difficulty flipping between Age 12 and my calendar age. Actaully, it's maintaining my calendar age that's occasionally problematic ;) But gosh, life's more fun that way....

Andyjaggy
08-06-2007, 09:01 AM
I rather enjoyed it. I went in expecting a movie with giant robots and cool special effects and I got both, plus was pleasently surprised by some good humor.

Bog
08-06-2007, 09:20 AM
Giant robots? Fighting? Veh large sploshuns? What's not to like?

I was a little startled actually - having watched the '80s cartoon as a nipper, where they're forever beating on each other to no avail apart from a sore head, having Prime promptly pull a big glowy knife out an decap a decepticon was quite startling.

And cool, let's not forget cool. Best CG ever? Probably not. High-impact and delivering well on what it was supposed to do? Hyup. Something to write lengthy SIGGRAPH papers over? Probably not. Something to get on DVD to watch over a couple of beers? Hyup.

I do "tightly-wound scowling hardcore 3D warhorse" at work. Disconnection is good for the blood pressure ;)

BeeVee
08-06-2007, 09:28 AM
Something to give you headaches for which the only solution is the pause button on your DVD player so you can actually see what's going on? Bleh

B

Bog
08-06-2007, 09:29 AM
I reserve the right to be as big a kid as I want :P How'm I supposed to keep my bouncy, cheerful sense of curiousity that powers the ol' animation turbines if I have to be all growed-up and cynical all the time? ;)

CMT
08-06-2007, 10:14 AM
I can regress a few years myself while watching my Saturday morning cartoons (the quality toons are becoming more scarce these days it seems). I still watch TMNT, Batman, and any good super hero ones that pop up around now and then. That don't mean I have to suspend all my expectations for a good movie. But that's OK. There's plenty of other good kid-spirited movies for me to watch. :)