PDA

View Full Version : 64bit LW and FBX

Mike_RB
06-29-2007, 10:10 AM
Just getting going with 64bit LW, where is the 64 bit version of the LW FBX plugins?

RedBull
06-29-2007, 05:07 PM
There is obviously not one.
As the FBX plugin for Lightwave hasn't been updated since LW 7.x..
I doubt it would be useful to use anyway.

You will have to save the scene in 64bit, and export from LW32.

Because Autodesk are the devil, and no longer support there own format with .FBX.. I hardly think NT should be doing it for them.

Maya and XSI use Crosstalk now, so .FBX is dead.
Collada is the future, so who really cares about .FBX anymore.
NT claim that a Collada Exporter/Importer is in the works in the 9.x time frame.

Andyjaggy
06-29-2007, 09:56 PM
Yeah I have been hearing a lot about Collada lately. It would be so great to have a standard 3d interchangeable format. Comeon Newtek get that importer/exporter working :D

Cageman
06-29-2007, 11:26 PM
There is obviously not one.
As the FBX plugin for Lightwave hasn't been updated since LW 7.x..
I doubt it would be useful to use anyway.

You will have to save the scene in 64bit, and export from LW32.

Because Autodesk are the devil, and no longer support there own format with .FBX.. I hardly think NT should be doing it for them.

Maya and XSI use Crosstalk now, so .FBX is dead.
Collada is the future, so who really cares about .FBX anymore.

Just to clarify... Autodesk supports their own products, so there are updated versions for Maya and I would guess 3DSMax also is supported. FBX is a standard in Motionbuilder and since Motionbuilder is the best tool for editing MoCap data etc, FBX is far from useless. Autodesk has a free SDK for anyone to download so that they can write their own FBX-tools. This is something NewTek needs to do.

RedBull
07-01-2007, 05:20 PM
Just to clarify... Autodesk supports their own products, so there are updated versions for Maya and I would guess 3DSMax also is supported. FBX is a standard in Motionbuilder and since Motionbuilder is the best tool for editing MoCap data etc, FBX is far from useless. Autodesk has a free SDK for anyone to download so that they can write their own FBX-tools. This is something NewTek needs to do.

In the same way the .lws and .lwo formats are openly available for use in Autodesk products, yet MotionBuilder or Autodesk doesn't support the format.

So if you want Motion Builder to support LW, than you should perhaps ask the people that make MotionBuilder to support the interchange of LW. (As they used to) and let NT develop newer Collada support.

.FBX was a Kaydara invention bought by Alias, now that Autodesk have it, it's a dead format.... Other 3D software makers announced greater support for Collada as it's a better format than .FBX ever was, at last years Siggraph...
all of them promised greater collaboration via Collada, XSI and Blender to name but a few.

This is also the reason XSI and Maya now use Crosstalk, and not .FBX.
(as it's a crap, dead format)

I could be wrong, but Chuck did mention FBX and Collada improvements, over the course of LW9.x anyway.

And in this case obviously if Newtek advertise 64bit LW with .FBX support, than they really should of compiled the 32bit version for 64bit LW too.

Cageman
07-01-2007, 11:08 PM
In the same way the .lws and .lwo formats are openly available for use in Autodesk products, yet MotionBuilder or Autodesk doesn't support the format.

So if you want Motion Builder to support LW, than you should perhaps ask the people that make MotionBuilder to support the interchange of LW. (As they used to) and let NT develop newer Collada support.

When Kaydara developed Motionbuilder it was in their best interest to support as many 3D-apps as possible. Things changed when Alias and Autodesk took over; they will never support other apps than their own (3DS Max, Maya). While I agree that it stinks, I can understand the reason...

.FBX was a Kaydara invention bought by Alias, now that Autodesk have it, it's a dead format.... Other 3D software makers announced greater support for Collada as it's a better format than .FBX ever was, at last years Siggraph...
all of them promised greater collaboration via Collada, XSI and Blender to name but a few.

No doubt that Collada is a better format, esp for all things not related purely to keyframes on rigs. But as long as MotionBuilder use the FBX format, that is what we will use.

This is also the reason XSI and Maya now use Crosstalk, and not .FBX.
(as it's a crap, dead format)

Hmm... as long as we can transfer keyframe data between MotionBuilder, LightWave and Maya, it will never become a "crap" format for us. Each to his own, it seems.

I could be wrong, but Chuck did mention FBX and Collada improvements, over the course of LW9.x anyway.

And in this case obviously if Newtek advertise 64bit LW with .FBX support, than they really should of compiled the 32bit version for 64bit LW too.

Make a scan of your native installation of LW9.x and you will not find anything related to FBX, not even in the 32-bit version. So far NT hasn't written their own FBX-plugin; the ones that are floating around are all from the Kaydara era, and I don't think NT has the permission to bundle it with LW.

Lightwolf
07-02-2007, 01:56 AM
Make a scan of your native installation of LW9.x and you will not find anything related to FBX, not even in the 32-bit version.
Unzip Kaydara.zip in your plugins directory and try again ;)

Cheers,
Mike

Cageman
07-02-2007, 02:24 AM
*doh* :)