PDA

View Full Version : Fprime not working on 2nd monitor

js33
06-29-2007, 12:06 AM
Hi all,

I am running 9.2 with Fprime 3.01. I used to run Fprime on my 2nd monitor on my old PC and it worked fine. Now I am running an 8800 GTS card and when I move Fprime to the 2nd monitor it doesn't update. Is there some OGL setting I'm missing because it used to work fine on the 2nd monitor on my old 5500 card.

Panikos
06-29-2007, 12:10 AM
FPrime has nothing to do with OpenGL or graphics cards ;)

js33
06-29-2007, 12:34 AM
Well the graphic card does display the image. No? Hehehehe. Yeah I realize Fprime has nothing to do with OLG but there could be some setting on the card I'm missing.

OK so why isn't Fprime working on my 2nd monitor?

When I drag LWs render window to the 2nd monitor it works fine.

Must be a problem with Fprime 3.01.

RedBull
06-29-2007, 01:05 AM
Yeah i'm confused by this sometimes too...

I have the same issue, but it comes and goes....
Sometimes FPrime refuses to update (put the Fprime window on half/half, and only half on the main monitor updates.... It's the same with playing video files, and other rendering programs too....

Haven't found a fix, although sometimes you can trick it into working.... :)

js33
06-29-2007, 03:13 AM
Do you have an 8800 card?
I have a 5500 card in my old PC and it worked fine on the 2nd monitor when I used it.

Must be a driver or Fprime issue.

js33
06-29-2007, 03:24 AM
Yeah i'm confused by this sometimes too...

I have the same issue, but it comes and goes....
Sometimes FPrime refuses to update (put the Fprime window on half/half, and only half on the main monitor updates.... It's the same with playing video files, and other rendering programs too....

Haven't found a fix, although sometimes you can trick it into working.... :)

I can play video, use browser and render LW on the 2nd monitor. It just seems to be Fprime thats not working on the 2nd monitor.

Qexit
06-29-2007, 04:05 AM
FPrime has nothing to do with OpenGL or graphics cards ;)Whatever gave you that idea ? The FPrime Preview window has an awful lot to do with OpenGL as it uses OpenGL to produce its image on the screen which is where this problem lies. FPrime Render has nothing to do with OpenGL and graphic cards though as it is purely a renderer saving out to disk :thumbsup:

There could well be a graphics card/driver specific OpenGL problem as this has happened in the past, notably with nVidia Quadro cards way back in the FPrime 1.X days. It would would probably be worthwhile dropping a line to WorleyLabs about the problem including full details of graphics card, driver and O/S being used so they can look into it.

Extent
06-29-2007, 04:11 AM
FPrime has nothing to do with OpenGL or graphics cards ;)

Fprime does require hardware acceleration to function, even if it doesn't use it to render. I've got a 4 screen setup and my 3rd and 4th screen aren't accelerated (and actually have no OGL function at all). Fprime doesn't update at all when dragged onto these two screens.

js33
06-29-2007, 06:04 AM
Thanks for the responses. I already sent a note to Worley.
It does seem like OGL isn't switched on on the 2nd monitor. I looked through the nVidia control panel and didn't see an option to set it on the 2nd monitor.

Panikos
06-29-2007, 06:23 AM
What I ment is that FPrime is using CPU for the calculations, not GPU.

umstitch
06-29-2007, 08:31 AM
..how have u got your dual monitors setup?...if you re using clone or dual, as opposed to using horizontal span, then u may well have all sorts of issues using open gl on your second monitor, as nvidia updates its drivers you will get more stability with dual setups, the g80 drivers arent great..yet, try the latest beta..(162.15)

js33
06-29-2007, 05:47 PM
Right now I have the dual monitors set to dual display.

js33
06-29-2007, 06:05 PM
I have a 5500 card in my old computer and Dualview worked fine with the same monitors I'm using now.

It's not like nVidia doesn't know how to make it work. It seems stupid that a new card wouldn't have at least the same functionality as my old card.

js33
06-29-2007, 08:02 PM
Here's the reply I received from Worley.

"There's no problem with FPrime that we're aware of that would cause this and
we haven't had any other similar reports from other users. FPrime Preview
is an opengl window so one thing to check is that your 2nd monitor is setup
to run opengl.

-Worley Labs
[email protected]"

I can't seem to enable OpenGL on the 2nd monitor. I ran a nVidia demo called Smoke to test. When I drag it to the 2nd monitor it stops.

So this is not an Fprime problem.

I checked the setting in the nVidia control panel for Multi-Display/Mixed GPU acceleration and it was set to Single Display so I changed it to Multiple Display Performance mode and it made no difference.

I also updated my drivers and it made no difference.

Is there some other setting I'm missing?
I remember in the old nVidia control panel there was a setting to run OpenGL on a 2nd display. I can't find an explicit setting like that in the new control panel.

js33
06-29-2007, 08:08 PM
OK I set it to Horizontal span and the OpenGL works. I know I used to use Dualview on my 5500 and the OpenGL worked.

So Dualview OpenGL just doesn't work yet on the 8800 cards I guess.

Extent
06-29-2007, 09:26 PM
You can try using progressively older driver versions until you find one that works. I used to have my second video card working w/ OGL but like I said it's totally broken in the latest drivers with my cards. I just can't be bothered to try and fix it.

FWIW I'm running dualview 7900GS and both heads are working w/ the current latest drivers.

js33
06-29-2007, 10:14 PM
I set mine to horizontal span and OGL works on the 2nd monitor that way. I must have had it set like that on my old 5500 card too.

DMarkwick
07-02-2007, 04:09 AM
OK, as this is a OGL thing I'll post this link up, which solved my Shake OGL issues. Might not do anything for you, but you never know ;)

(relevant info is a few posts down)

http://www.vfxtalk.com/forum/sitemap/oh-my-god-t1473.html

*edit*

relevant info here:

Control Panel > System
'Advanced' tab
'Environment variables' button
Under 'System variables', click the 'New' button
for 'Variable name' type NR_OPENGL_RENDER
for 'Variable value' type 1
Now start Shake and have a look, if it's still not good try a value of 0

3DGFXStudios
07-02-2007, 06:21 AM
Use older drivers! It' s frame buffer problem. If you use horizontal spam mode you computer uses just one frame buffer. In other modes you get 2 frame buffers for each monitor. try playing with different force ware versions. I use 97.92 and this works great!!!

:thumbsup:

wendoline
07-02-2007, 06:44 AM
i had the same problem under win xp with a nvidia 7600gt.. the problem went away with a newer set of drivers but this was about 6 months ago so those "newer" drivers i used are probably quite old now!! i used dualview mode.

now i run an 8600gt on windows vista and all is fine with the current drivers from nvidia so fingures crossed it stays that way..

in a nutshell it does seem the different driver revisions from nvidia exhibit slightly different performance's using opengl on 2nd displays set with dualview..

cheers
ian

js33
07-02-2007, 09:29 PM
Hi Wendoline,

What driver version number are you using?

My driver version is: 6.14.10.9792. OGL does not work on the 2nd monitor with dualview only Horz span with this driver. But other than that it is stable. All the game demos I have tried so far fly on this thing.