PDA

View Full Version : One Year since I paid for VT5

edmellnik
06-28-2007, 05:20 PM
OK, its time for Newtek to tell us whats going on.
Yes, we all are mostly in agreement that there should be no wine before its time.... but after one year it would be nice to give us some kind of idea if it is ever coming and about when that will be.

I just want to be communicated with. How long does it take to put out a product they were demonstrating over a year ago? ANd part of the reason for the delay is they are putting new stuff in that we really did not ask for. Let me correct that before someone jumps all over me. . . . I and many others just want a good stable edit system that is HD capable. I dont need virtual sets.
I would love to get some progress reports...like interesting weekly reports on what problems are being encountered, what things are being added that will make VT5 leapfrog ahead of the competition....etc.

Ed

ScorpioProd
06-28-2007, 09:46 PM
As far as I remember, VT[5] has NEVER actually been demoed.

It's hard to demo something till it first exists. :devil:

billmi
06-29-2007, 06:50 AM
OK, its time for Newtek to tell us whats going on.
Yes, we all are mostly in agreement that there should be no wine before its time.... but after one year it would be nice to give us some kind of idea if it is ever coming and about when that will be.

If you haven't received e-mail updates, check in with NewTek - for folks that purchased the upgrade, you should already have one of the major components of VT[5] in your hands - Speed Edit.

They've also been making announcements and statements occasionally here in the forums as well.

Ivan
06-29-2007, 07:23 AM
Sorry, I have to agree with Ed, unless I'm wrong there was an announcement in December that there would be an announcement in January but nothing more was said officially till NAB. Additionally SE does not address some issues that VT4.6 has nor does it work with the VT card so to say that it is a major component is a stretch.

Personally, when I saw SE I wrote $500 off as a bad business decision and I went out and bought a faster Mac. All I can say is, Ed, if you think Newtek is going to leapfrog ahead of the competition, unless you are doing live production, you are dreaming, those days have gone.

Ask yourself this: the iPhone is supposed to ship June 30th, the update for SE is supposed to ship at the end of Q2, June 30th. Which do you think was more difficult to do and which do you think is more likely? I know, two completely different products but it is an indication of how each company views their commitment to their customers.

Ivan

Enter Danic telling me and anyone else who is willing to tell it like it is to leave, then we can say that we have no unhappy customers! :)

tfrank
06-29-2007, 08:42 AM
Most of the information I've been able to get on VT5 was by going to non-NewTek forums. I find that kind of "interesting". Please read the following from a post I found elsewhere:

[COLOR="Blue"]re: I WANT OUT --NewTek please respond
Andrew Cross - June 6, 2007 at 12:01pm

Well, to what extent I represent NewTek, I am responding

The actual reason that I did not make any comment on any of this sooner is simply that it is unfortunately very rare that I check this forum these days, if this conversation was on one of the actual NewTek forums I think you would have seen some comment by us way sooner.

First of all, let me address the notion that VT[5] is being considered as a "secondary" product. Nothing could be further from the truth ... indeed it is really the opposite, and this is one of the unfortunate decisions that has caused it to be delayed. When we announced it last NAB, really all we said that it would do is include SpeedEDIT as it was shown at that point, and include better down-stream keying capabilities. What happened is that we where working very hard to complete SpeedEDIT and what we where hearing from users was that they wanted some additional features in the product, rather than delay these until the next release, we held SpeedEDIT back for a few more weeks in order to add those into the product which obviously meant that VT[5] was also delayed slightly at that point since SpeedEDIT was the largest component of it.
(On a side-note, I would not ague that SpeedEDIT was completely on schedule, it was slightly behind which is an unfortunate, but certainly non-deliberate, problem common in software engineering projects of any significant scale.)

At about this time we discovered a truly amazing way to implement a new form of multiple stream real-time processing which would allow us to implement virtual sets, split camera shots, etc... I cannot emphasize just how revolutionary this actually is. Not only does it take the live production capabilities of VT to a whole new level, but it also introduces a quality of processing that has not been seen before on a system at pretty much any price (just wait a few days to see the actual level of realism that can be included in thew virtual sets.) On-top of this, we completely revamped our entire live keying system and the entire way it works, and how it integrates into the product. Several people on this thread have commented that VT is seeing small changes ... being involved with these new features I have to disagree, these are frankly the most fundamental changes to the product since it was released over 5 years ago.

We where here faced with a difficult dilemma, we could just sit on this technology and keep it for VT[6], or we could delay VT[5] for a bit an put it into that. Choosing to get this into our customers hands sooner rather than later we chose the later option. The reason that it fist showed up in a TriCaster product was two-fold :
1)We believe that this is an amazing addition to the TriCaster line and that this is a very compelling product.
2)The technology is a lot simpler to integrate into a locked-down turn-key solution rather than a relatively general purpose environment like VT. (Where it can be installed to different locations, custom effects can be added, there are unlimited inputs, etc...) Indeed, the way effects can be applied within VT is significantly more powerful and flexible than what can be done within TriCaster.

Our thinking really has been just to get the coolest technology into VT to make it the best product possible. If I look back at what we announced at NAB last year, what you are getting is simply not the same product, based on that description we are most likely at VT[6] or [7]. The unfortunate down side is that it has been delayed, and we do deserve legitimate criticism for this, however in return for your understanding with the delay while we get the new features into the product, we have tried to go above and beyond in providing tools at our expense to everyone who has pre-ordered VT[5].

A number of people have made comments that indicate a frustration at the lack of progress in the editing component of VT. This is an area where we have made equally big strides ... not only have we taken the major major step to making this a stand-alone product and give it an engineering team dedicated to it, but we have also been working incredibly hard to implement the features that I have seen asked for on this and other forums over a period of years. We have moved everything to HD, included native MPEG import and export, HDV, three wheel color correction, major new CG capabilities, re-architected the entire real-time rendering process, and much much more. Whats more, we are about to make a (free) release that includes more of the long time feature requests that people have made, including VST plug-in support, Windows Media 11, etc... There is still work to do, and there are things people have wanted for years that we still need to include, but development and progress of our editor has fundamentally changed at the company.

On this thread I have read some frustration from some users, and I completely understand that. However as a company we have not changed our core beliefs, any delay or failing is based on a calculation to make the technology in our products as cool as possible and get our customers products that do more and cost less than anyone else. We have chosen to give customers significantly more than the product they ordered, and absorb the cost of development ourselves. This is fundamentally different from any of our competitors, who would have just shipped and then charged again for a subsequent upgrade down the road.

Sorry for the long post, and I hope that this helps clarify our thinking and core beliefs. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to email me (across at newtek dot com).

Best regards,

Andrew

I would hope that NewTek would use their own forum to give us all an update on the stautus of VT5 soon.

Thalek
06-29-2007, 09:40 AM
I suggested to Dr. Cross in email that he might want to use the forum to update us, and also sent some of the discussion thread links to him.

The best he could tell me is that they're getting "very close", and that he anticipates a relatively short testing cycle due to unusually good stability of the software build.

But that was a few weeks to a month ago.

I hope that someone can come in and give us a progress report, even if it has to be vaguely worded.

I'm an amateur, so waiting doesn't cost me anything, unlike the many professionals who could use the improvements now. Even so, it's difficult to be patient in an information vacuum.

Quite a few years ago, they updated the Amiga A-Web II web browser. It was much more powerful, but it took longer to initialize. Many people thought that it might have frozen up and aborted. The simple solution they implemented was a progress bar, so you could see it was still operating.

A similar problem is with the traffic-control lights on the onramps of some freeways. They found that they couldn't keep people on hold with a red light for more than about 40 seconds. Again, people thought that it was broken, if it lasted longer.

People can be remarkably patient if they can see that some sort of progress is being made.

billmi
06-29-2007, 10:06 AM
Additionally SE does not address some issues that VT4.6 has nor does it work with the VT card so to say that it is a major component is a stretch.

So,aside from resolution independent editing and an updated version of Lightwave (which anyone who bought the upgrade is still waiting for) what else is there? When VT[5] update was pre-sold a year ago, those were the features announced that it would include, and the resolution independent editing was delivered months ago. The extra stuff we are waiting for (new keying capabilities, new effects/virtual set engine, etc.) was something not announced until NAB this Spring, so there's no way someone could have been waiting for it for a year.

jimtruelove
06-29-2007, 10:41 AM
One of the key changes of Newtek is they have not asked the consumer if they are willing to accept an early version of the product. On all previous upgrades Newtek offered its customers the option to help beta test as a way to play with an early version. With VT5 not only has that option never been offered but progress reports have been meager and obviously not consistent enough for most purchasers.
This situation really is unacceptable! If it was not for the fantastic products of the past and incredible support policies Newtek has supplied in the past I would have started legal proceedings. I am sure there will be a product. I am sure it will be what was promised. My issue now is that it falls short of what I expected of Newtek as a customer oriented company.
My opinion of Newtek is damaged. It is more than likely I will never seriously consider another product for media purposes from Newtek.
Such a mix of issues. I know that my VT, Speededit, Lightwave, two Flyer systems, Calibar . . . will serve me for a long time.
Give us an update or at least an option to run a version of software that shows progress.

Ivan
06-29-2007, 11:11 AM
Yup, your right, that's all there is although SE not being able to use the VT card would be a good argument for the fact that it isn't yet part of the upgrade. And as long as you never expected VT5 to fix issues that exist in 4.6 they are done. I guess it's to much to expect for VT5 to fix batch capture via firewire or the ability to do any kind of variable speed scrolls in CG or...these will all be features of the yet to be announced VT6 or VT7 or... VT5 is all but finished then, why didn't Newtek tell us?

I guess that I thought that not only should VT5 be adding features, they should be fixing things that are not working in VT4.6 and not removing features that are in 4.6, as an example, SE does not to timed recording.

Speaking of adding features, virtual sets aside, how about adding in features that only Newtek can add rather than going after products that have already been developed by third parties? Three wheel color correction was and is available as a third party plugin, Chapter Point Markers, available as a third party plugin, Third Channel which allows another source to be displayed in live production, available as a third party plugin. Adding these in when there is nothing else to add is one thing, putting them in while there are so many unfinished or needed features just seems like they are intentionally trying to kill off anyone's desire to create third party programs to make their product better.

Removing the AVI wrapper so you are forced to use their MPeg encoder rather than using TMPG is another example of a complete lack of their ability or desire to embrace the outside world. Ford buys tires from tire manufactures. Why would they waste time building a factory to make their own? This idea completely escapes Newtek. While they could include TMPG with every copy of SE for less than $25 per copy or make it so you could spend your own $25 on a copy and it would work seamlessly, they will waste days, weeks, or months tinkering with thier own mpeg encoder which Andrew at some point even so much as agreed might not be as good as a product that has been out there for five years and that was all they did.

So yes, they are done and so am I. I'm not selling my system because I have some projects on it that clients still call in to change regularly but it has effectively become a very large, very expensive door stop.

Ivan

Still waiting fro Danic to tell me to go away... where are you?:)

Danic101
06-29-2007, 01:34 PM
Do you honestly think anyone cares what you think? I am glad NewTek Decided to wait to add new features and not release something to say they released on time. If you don't like it then buy a Mac and leave us alone.

Ivan
06-29-2007, 01:42 PM
:boogiedow My day is complete. :boogiedow

billmi
06-29-2007, 02:01 PM
Yup, your right, that's all there is although SE not being able to use the VT card would be a good argument for the fact that it isn't yet part of the upgrade. And as long as you never expected VT5 to fix issues that exist in 4.6 they are done. I guess it's to much to expect for VT5 to fix batch capture via firewire or the ability to do any kind of variable speed scrolls in CG or...these will all be features of the yet to be announced VT6 or VT7 or...

If someone bought the upgrade early, expecting to receive what NewTek said was going to be in the upgrade, then they do already have a big chunk of what they expected to get for their money - resolution independent editing.

If someone bought the upgrade early, expecting to receiver things that NewTek never announced, well then they will probably be disappointed whether it ships on time or not.

VT5 is all but finished then, why didn't Newtek tell us?

Hardly all but finished, and they have told us. They've told us about the new items they are adding that weren't previously announced, features for which the release has been pushed back even further.

I guess that I thought that not only should VT5 be adding features, they should be fixing things that are not working in VT4.6 and not removing features that are in 4.6, as an example, SE does not to timed recording.

It's one thing to hope for a feature. It's another to pre-buy a product and complain that the feature isn't there when the manufacturer never said it would be.

Removing the AVI wrapper so you are forced to use their MPeg encoder rather than using TMPG is another example of a complete lack of their ability or desire to embrace the outside world.

Just curious about this, but what has given you the impression that VT[5] won't have an AVI wrapper? Or is this just that it's not included in SpeedEdit standaline?

billmi
06-29-2007, 02:21 PM
And just to clarify...

I'm not saying it's all sweetness and roses that a pre-purchased product didn't deliver when originally announced, just disagreeing with the statement that after a year NewTek has said nothing about what is going on.

tfrank
06-29-2007, 02:42 PM
Do you honestly think anyone cares what you think? I am glad NewTek Decided to wait to add new features and not release something to say they released on time. If you don't like it then buy a Mac and leave us alone.
Wow! Please tell me that you are not serious? That your comments about another poster are just a joke? Because you kind of sound like my kid a few years ago. Fortunately he has since learned that it's kind of good to listen to other people's thoughts and ideas. That perhaps he really didn't know everything.

edmellnik
06-29-2007, 03:00 PM

That kind of attitude is uncalled for. I have been supporting Newtek since 1992 and they need to hear all of our comments.

Just for your information I did buy a mac. A very expensive proposition with FCP and I would have rather given it to NEWTEK. Since I and many others have asked for HD (UNCOMPRESSED HD) since 2000 Newtek has no one to thank but themselves for loosing many of us to the MAC.

ALL I was asking for was some communication. The inside scoop. And preselling and not delivering for a year is getting a little old.

NVentive
06-29-2007, 03:10 PM
A few months ago,I was in a mood to get a bit testy with the delays. It is looking now, however, like the features promised in [5] will be huge for us. Yes, they could have shipped [5] without the new stuff, we would then have been forced to buy [6] when it could have been [5].
That logic may not work for all, but right now [4.6] is working really well for us and SE is a Godsend. Improvements would be welcome, but we don't need a 'just because' upgrade, we need exactly what [5] will offer. Yes, we'll buy a Mac at some point, but at this moment, with more and more studio work coming in, VT is perfect for us. Having FCP in our mix will help our post work, but 80% of our mix right now is studio, any mac-based system would be pretty much useless.
I know the people at Newtek are sweating bullets over this, I've met many of them and they are great folks. I know it's frustrating, but for us, the reawrds are expected to be great.

SBowie
06-29-2007, 03:11 PM
My opinion of Newtek is damaged.Forgive me for reversing the order of your points, but I think it will help me respond in logical order.

Although I don't feel the same way, I understand your view and respect both your right to it and the way you have presented it.

On all previous upgrades Newtek offered its customers the option to help beta test as a way to play with an early version.If you will permit, I'll offer what I think can be considered an 'informed opinion' on this, which is not to say it's "fact" (because that prerogative is not mine.)

Over the years, NewTek has had a reasonably consistent beta policy; initial internal testing expanded to first a small core of outside testers, then before too long a larger beta team to iron out the kinks. Feedback and discourse took place in various private forums provided for the purpose. Mostly, I was happy with this system.

You're correct that this has not happened with VT[5], and in fact it did not happen with SE 1.2 or TriCaster Studio either. During earlier times, repeated warnings were given that the conduct of a few testers was making the arrangement unproductive, and could lead to that open format being replaced with more formal mechanisms. In due course this proved to be the case.

Regardless of how I feel about it, testing is now performed under different protocols. (This emphasizes the importance of using the approved bug reporting and feature request channels, as the former 'round-table' style venues are gone.) I apologize if this is a bit of a tangent, but maybe it helps to explain this one aspect of matters a bit.

Ivan
06-29-2007, 04:16 PM
It's one thing to hope for a feature. It's another to pre-buy a product and complain that the feature isn't there when the manufacturer never said it would be.

Really not talking about new features, how about making existing features work as they should, that's not to much to expect from a paid upgrade is it? It should be a free upgrade to get bugs fixed but I'm fully willing to play along and pay, Microsoft does this to us all the time so we have become somewhat accustomed to it. I'm not suggesting that they won't fix things, I'm just saying it's not too much to expect is it, I mean whether you pre buy or not?

Just curious about this, but what has given you the impression that VT[5] won't have an AVI wrapper? Or is this just that it's not included in SpeedEdit standaline

Exactly, it is not in SE Standalone nor is the ability currently to use the VT card which makes me suggest that most of what VT5 promised has not shipped as you suggested earlier.

you should already have one of the major components of VT[5] in your hands - Speed Edit.

SE has shipped so you get to see what the editor will be in VT5 but that is not the same as VT5 now is it?

Also please don't misunderstand my frustration and moving on to something else. It does not come from any prepayment regrets. Honestly if I gave a hoot about that I would have asked for my money back.

I noticed that you conveniently did not address the thought that they are trying to discourage third party developers by adding in features that already exist as third party plugins while ignoring other features that are obviously missing.

It is a fact that no matter how you look at it the features are simply not keeping up with what others offer and as I said, instead of leveraging their third party people and saying "we have a Chapter Point plugin and Three Wheel Color Correction available through a third party plugin" they develop it themselves while pretending that other features are not important. Saying that these features are available via third party is a perfectly acceptable and legitimate business practice, Adobe does it, Microsoft does it, Apple does it, I just saw a CocaCola truck go by, do you think Coke built that truck or did they buy it from someone who builds trucks? Are they afraid that someone other than Newtek might make a buck? Are they completely unaware that someone else developed these? Did you know? Did you know that the third party three wheel color correction has masking? So not only are they including features that are already available via third party, the features aren't as complete so why not work on something that isn't in there and isn't available.

This has nothing to do with what was promised when or what anyone thought "should" be in this package. It is their right to run their business as they see fit but as it stands I am not the only one that has spent several thousand dollars on a new system on another platform because Newtek is not keeping up. This is money that I would have gladly paid to them if they were willing to compete.

Ivan

Hey Danic, if I was telling everyone how cool this stuff was I'm sure they would care about what I have to say! I know some people that preordered VT5 last year because I told them it would be cool, maybe you have a point. :thumbsup: You know if I'm lying or being misleading about anything you are perfectly welcome to point it out. As it stands it looks like all you are doing is copying and pasting your last post. Personally, I think we make a great pair. Grumpy Old Men III.:hey:

Ivan: You call this an upgrade?
Danic: Why don't you leave!!
Ivan: You call this an upgrade?
Danic: Why don't you leave!!
Ivan:...

:)

Jim_C
06-29-2007, 07:39 PM
If you don't like it then buy a Mac and leave us alone.

It does not seem as if there is an 'US' here that you speak for. Please do not include 'US' others in your derogatory and unecessary comments to valued and proven Newtek users.

And anyway, Ivan already has a Mac.

Thalek
07-06-2007, 11:14 AM
Well, SpeedEdit 1.2 is out, and VT[5] is "feature complete" and undergoing testing.

It looks like we should have VT[5] relatively "soon". And no, I refuse to speculate on a value for the variable "soon". I don't want to disappoint myself. [grin]

Slapdash
07-06-2007, 11:58 PM
[QUOTE=Thalek]VT[5] is "feature complete" and undergoing testing.

Anyone have that list of "features" to share? I'd enjoy the read. :)

Thalek
07-07-2007, 12:22 AM
John Perkins is the one who said it was "feature complete"; he'd be a better choice to ask.

CreatvGnius
07-09-2007, 05:43 PM
As far as I remember, VT[5] has NEVER actually been demoed.

It's hard to demo something till it first exists...
...And as far as I can recall, VT has really never had any competition. :hey:

Now, I must say, I *do* like the idea of updates, relative to what's being worked on.:agree:

steveg
07-24-2007, 02:23 PM
It may be just me, but I haven't seen any list of features added to VT5. One would assume that if NewTek had completed a list of featyres they would be eager to produce this to us who purchased the VT5 upgrade 14 0r 15 months ago to prove that our money was well spent instead of remaining silent and leaving us in the dark wondering if we will see VT5 before we are asked to pay for another upgrade. I for one have definitely learned my lesson and will not be fooled again by a promise to ship soon that has been going on since nearly a year ago if I pay for it last June. Done with my rant. I will now hybernate for another month before I check back again.

Thalek
07-24-2007, 04:30 PM
I certainly wouldn't mind seeing a list of new features posted, either.

My personal guess, based on what I've read in the news releases and posts here, is that we can probably expect most of improvements to Tricaster, and all of the improvements to SpeedEdit. But as you say, that's a guess based on what little has been said in public.

Randall Chesbro
07-24-2007, 05:46 PM
Heres the problem I see, at least for me and I didnt think about it when I payed for the vt5 upgrade. 1st all I heard was its a software upgrade. Ok thats what vt3 and vt4 was. but now after playing with SE, I really need a new machine to run SE. 1.2 does run a little better but even with sd clips its not as good as vt4 or 3 for that matter. as far as the amount of layers I could get with vt3 and 4 . I have a dual 2.8 zeon 1 gig and 4 73gig raid. I know i heard some of you have the same system and its working for you. yes its working for me too, but with all the stuff like vertual sets and what ever elts they have going id think the machine I have will not be up to it. And Again SE does work but it does need a upto date system to work as well as vt3 and vt4. So even though Id like vt5 the chance that it will work well on what i have is low. now if it was an HD upgrade I can see puting money into a new system but not for an upgrade that does SD and will be out dated so soon the way HD seems to be going.
I dont know, I could be wrong
please dont spank me, I was just thinking out loud.

kleima
07-24-2007, 08:21 PM
VT[5] will do HD, at least for editing. Maybe I'm too optimistic, but the last time Newtek had such a huge delay was when going from Amiga to PC, and they blew everyone away with what they came out with, so I suspect that part of the delay and the silence might just be related to something that will blow everyone away again. Something that hasn't been mentioned yet, beyond virtual sets - like HD switching! Hardware development usually takes longer than software and could explain the delay. Now, it's true, that the additional hardware for HD switching would probably not be included in the $500 that we paid for our upgrade over a year ago, but you have to admit that releasing VT[5] with such an option would be earth-shaking! This is my theory. :thumbsup:

wvp
07-25-2007, 07:03 AM
VT[5]... I suspect that part of the delay and the silence might just be related to something that will blow everyone away again. ...This is my theory. :thumbsup:
It would be nice if you are right. I have taken the approach that I paid in advance for the upgrade so I could take advantage of a free copy of SpeedEdit. Since then I have been given a few thank you gifts for waiting. I now approach everything I hear about NT & NT products as rumor until they actually ship. They can upgrade the feature list all they want - I won't believe it until I see it in the actual product (anyone want interpolated slo-mo in SE?).
They screwed up. They apologized. They offered some compensation. I'm sure I will get a VT5 someday!

SBowie
07-25-2007, 07:34 AM
Now, it's true, that the additional hardware for HD switching would probably not be included in the $500 that we paid for our upgrade over a year ago, but you have to admit that releasing VT[5] with such an option would be earth-shaking! This is my theory.There inclusion of SE for VT[5] is a step in the HD direction, but - as you suggest - HD switching is a while different matter and will without question require new hardware.

I have little doubt that a 'VTHD' (my term) will come, but do not think it's appearance is likely to be either concurrent with nor follow very shortly after the release of VT[5] ... not to rain on the parade, just to avoid disappointment.

sadkkf
07-25-2007, 11:56 AM
Coming to this thread late, I also bought my upgrade more than a year ago. It wasn't even until about two months ago did I receive the email about this situation.

When Adobe announced CS3, it was shipped a month later.

All I'm saying is don't announce a product until it really *is* ready to ship.

I love my VT and LW as much as the next user, but I can't develop on promises to ship and seriously can't afford to throw $500 into the wind.

ScorpioProd
07-25-2007, 12:08 PM
As Steve says, VTHD will come someday, but VT[5] won't be a HD switcher. It would be bad business to do that with virtual sets and TCS just launched.

Thing is, I'm sure Newtek isn't alone in what happened, these things go in cycles, remember the VT[2] introduction? Well, then they swung the other way with the quiet launch of, which one was it, VT[4]? Then they swung back the other way with the premature announcement of VT[5].

Hey, VT[5] hasn't been promised longer than VT[2], that's something.:hey:

sadkkf
07-25-2007, 12:17 PM
In all fairness, any product launch is tough and this one made tougher with the turnover.

ScorpioProd
07-25-2007, 01:11 PM
What turnover?

Sure, product launches are tough, but it is Newtek's choice when to announce a product.

But again, it's hardly just Newtek, this happens to most companies. GV Infinity, anyone?

sadkkf
07-25-2007, 01:31 PM
I was referring to the group who left to development Modo, but perhaps that didn't have as much of an effect as I thought.

it is Newtek's choice when to announce a product

My point exactly! :agree:

SBowie
07-25-2007, 02:18 PM
I am sort of expecting a progression something like this:

VT[5] -- not too far off now, not 2 weeks, but not many months either
TC-HD, NAB next year
VT-HD, a a few months after that, maybe even by SIGGRAPH.

... sheerest guesswork on my part, but not all that crazy I think.

ScorpioProd
07-25-2007, 03:20 PM
I could see that, Steve... But I would only expect a TC-HD announcement at NAB, not something shipping...

Personally, I really, really hope that SpeedEDIT 2.0 is out for next NAB... That's more important for the editors...

SBowie
07-25-2007, 03:23 PM
I could see that, Steve... But I would only expect a TC-HD announcement at NAB, not something shipping...Well, as it's just guesswork, I'm sticking to my figmentary timetable anywhow. I think they can do it. ;)

Personally, I really, really hope that SpeedEDIT 2.0 is out for next NAB... That seems realistic too.

Slapdash
07-26-2007, 12:10 AM
Something that hasn't been mentioned yet, beyond virtual sets - like HD switching! Hardware development usually takes longer than software and could explain the delay. Now, it's true, that the additional hardware for HD switching would probably not be included in the $500 that we paid for our upgrade over a year ago, but you have to admit that releasing VT[5] with such an option would be earth-shaking! This is my theory. :thumbsup:

It's cruel to even suggest that HD switching could be made available for VT sometime this year. ;) It's a great idea and I would like the ability to switch HD more than any other feature, but would you be willing to prepay for it as you did for VT5 software upgrade?

I hope Steve is right and that we see the software side of VT5 within a couple months. If not, maybe we can at least see what features are going to be included.

Not angry, just anxious.

Thalek
07-26-2007, 12:46 AM
Something that hasn't been mentioned yet, beyond virtual sets - like HD switching! Hardware development usually takes longer than software and could explain the delay.

More than one person has asked if the update is hardware and software or software only. The answer in the past has been "software only".

Now, if they want to change that answer, I'll head for the line to swap my fairly new vt[4] board for a "modern" one. But the last I'd heard, it's still software-only. (If anyone wants to write me privately and update me, I shall cheerfully accept! [grin])

sandogeditor
07-26-2007, 10:07 AM
besides the free copy of speed edit, I was told it would come with lightwave 9. is there any way I could get this now?