PDA

View Full Version : Memory

dugg
06-28-2007, 01:31 PM
Hi,

I am trying to create a Mandala that you keep going into. I am trying to bring the elements into Layout and it tells me I do not have enough memory. I have worked at deleting non-visible polys etc but still get the message. I have been looking for how to give Layout access to more memory but cannot seem to find it in the manual or menu's.

Help!

Thanks, Dugg

Steve Warner
06-28-2007, 02:49 PM
I could be wrong but I thought Layout would just continue to grab as much memory from your system as it needed. Are you saying that your system has memory but Layout is refusing to grab it? If so, is it physical memory or virtual memory?

dugg
06-28-2007, 03:07 PM
Sorry Steve, I do not know. When I was installing the 64 bit version and operating system I got a few 'virtual drives' and do not know how to get rid of them. I am guessing that it thinks my C-drive is small. I am a bit of a dolt when it comes to this stuff. I have 2 gig of ram and 250 hd on a fairly new machine without a lot on it yet.

Steve Warner
06-28-2007, 03:33 PM
No need to apologize. How big is your model? And how large are the images you're trying to load (if any)?

dugg
06-28-2007, 04:30 PM
At this point I have about 2 million polys in when I hit the wall. I have one fairly large texture 512 X 2048 of the outer-space background and then 3 or 4 that are in the 512 X 512 Range.

Steve Warner
06-28-2007, 04:48 PM
I've got 2Gigs of RAM here at work and am able to use displacement maps at 4096x4096 to push a character beyond the 2 million poly mark. But I can't get to 3-million without running out of RAM. It's possible that you're simply hitting the physical limit of your available memory.

Are you able to load the object into Modeler? If so, can you break it into smaller parts and bring those into Layout? Also, have you closed all other applications so that Layout is the only one running?

dugg
06-28-2007, 05:06 PM
Thanks Steve, I have been hacking and slashing and have found that if I load my most complex first (lots of lotus leaves) and then set the sub-patch level to 1, I can get it to work with the limited number of 'rings' I have in. This may mean that I have to create several scenes that will continue where another left off.

While I'm at it can I ask if you might know why my 64 bit version of LW is not that much faster than my 32? When I launch with the 64 I find I have limited access to other programs and media while a job is rendering and I do not find it worth it so far.

Steve Warner
06-28-2007, 05:10 PM
I'm glad to hear you've found a workaround. Unfortunately I've never used the 64-bit version so I'm afraid I can't be of much help in that department. :o

Twisted_Pixel
06-28-2007, 05:37 PM
As far as I know the main benefit of a 64-bit set up, is it allows you to have more than 2GB of ram.

dugg
06-28-2007, 05:49 PM
What about the ability to use the dual-core processor?

Twisted_Pixel
06-28-2007, 05:52 PM
I would imagine, that should work just as well on 32 bit as 64 bit, though I'm sure others have more in depth knowledge.

tektonik
07-02-2007, 09:58 PM
64 bit lightwave is heaven

no need to worry aboutslicing and dicing and loosing time optimizing the damn scenes !

just model texture and render

and the 32 bit programs you use besides lightwave will work no problem...

the problem really is with drivers! no problem with video cards but printers... it is another story

if you have more than one computer keep one on xp-32 for compatibility and print

and for real work use the 64 bit machine!

go for it you will not regret it!

i am talking xp-64 and not vista 64 (i have no experience with vista)

dugg
07-02-2007, 11:44 PM
tektonic, I have my system partitioned so I can launch either but I almost always use the 32 'cause it has my music and email etc. Are you saying that rendering out a big scene like this is just launch from 64 bit and render - no buttons, settings and parameters to change?

I have to go out of town for a couple of days, maybe I'll leave it with something real big to think about. I just do not want to come home and find I have to live in the 64 bit world for a couple more days.

tektonik
07-03-2007, 02:27 PM
There's really no point in using 64-bit if you don't have more than 2Gb RAM.

ohhh so NOT TRUE my friend!

renders with fprime that i couldn't even start at 1024 x 768 resolutions in LW-32
i could render them at 15000 x whatever no sweat in LW-64 and i was was using 6 gig of "ram" to render on a 4 gig machine and the swap hit on performance was minimal my 4 cpus were running at 90%

so viva la swap space on a 10k rpm hard drive and away you go for gigonstruous renders

happy

tektonik
07-03-2007, 02:38 PM
oh by the way... i tried the 32 bit version on the same machine...

so go 64 go

i really hope apple's next OS is truly 64 bit with drivers and all cuz... i may be switching:devil: