PDA

View Full Version : Is there a tool to run screamernet?

ece3k
06-28-2007, 12:22 PM
I saw on flay that MULE and some other apps run screamer net for you better.....are they worth the money and which is best?
Erik
[email protected]

arsad
06-28-2007, 01:55 PM
depends on your needs, and they are all better than Screamernet alone.

ece3k
06-28-2007, 03:35 PM
I have a small render set of machines (all PC's - 2 Dual Xeons, 3 P4's, and a Dualcore Opteron Laptop).
I want to be able to set it up and do multiple scenes. That's all. Price is less important to me than performance.
Suggestions?
Erik

arsad
06-28-2007, 03:49 PM
I use Butterfly netrender but tequila scream is quite nice as well. Tequila has
the great advantage that you have unlimited nodes. Butterfly you have to buy nodes.
Performance wise I see no difference between them. Can't judge mule,
royal render, smedge and all the others as I've never tested them.

BloodQuest
06-28-2007, 08:20 PM
We bought Tequila Scream (after testing a number of options) as our first step beyond screamernet itself. It's nice for small numbers of nodes, and I think we got our money's worth, but we outgrew it fairly quickly, and I'm not talking hundreds of machines by any means.

Butterfly has a personal version for $45 - one fourth the price of Tequila - and you upgrade as far as you need to paying only the difference in price each time.

Upgrading to the Standard version (15 nodes) still gives you a total cost a tad less than TS and if you ever get as far as needing the Studio version, the cost to upgrade your render-farm licence will be a non-issue!

I am a bit biased - you can find a "Send To BNR" plugin on my site, and I'm working on something somewhat more sophisticated as I write this, but I think BNR is the better investment.

Saturday, I believe, would be a very good time to buy it...

Simon

UnCommonGrafx
06-29-2007, 01:35 AM
Chepe's doing some new programming: TS is getting even stronger.
http://tequilascream.com

arsad
06-29-2007, 01:41 AM
This is why I mentioned Tequila as well, at the time when I bought BNR (15 nodes)
Tequila didn't support LW9. And I heard rumours that chepe wouldn't
work anymore on tequila. So much for listening to rumours... ;-)
I worked with tequila on a ~40 Processor renderfarm and it worked quite well.

Chuckpie
10-11-2007, 12:39 PM
I am in the process of trying out Screamernet the only thing I am missing as I read how to set it up is how to turn the rendered frames into an avi and/or mpeg production. Where is that information?? Thanks in advance.

UnCommonGrafx
10-11-2007, 12:55 PM
THere is no info as this is not a task for screamernet.

Use an editing, compositing or what have you for compiling animations as screamernet is designed ONLY to do still images.

Greenlaw
10-11-2007, 12:58 PM
I use BNR Pro now (which works great,) but a few years ago I was using LightNet which worked well with a small farm and it was free. We even used it here in The Box for a couple of years, but eventually the needs of our renderfarm outgrew it. I'm not sure if LightNet is still supported but if you have a small farm with only a few users, it might be worth looking into.

DRG

ece3k
10-11-2007, 02:24 PM
There are some freeware apps that'll do this.....but I use a compositing app (both Combustion and After effects do great.) I work with a guy who takes my frames and just does it with his video editing app (Final Cut Pro on a mac.) But there are other apps as well.
Good luck.
Erik

Bitboy
10-15-2007, 07:01 PM
Well actually Mule has been released in a 1.5 version supposedly supporting LW 9.3. And there's now only one version for 125$ - Enterprise Version with unlimited nodes. I'm testing it right now... :p

http://www.epicsoft.net/products/mule/enterprise/

voriax
10-15-2007, 10:07 PM
Yeah I got all excited when Mule 1.5 was announced.. was gearing up to buy it cos it would save me a heap of time with my renderfarm..
Then I install it and find I can't make it use fprime's WSN.exe instead of LWSN.exe ..
Deletion occurred.

Bitboy
10-15-2007, 10:10 PM
Well I got another problem entirely. I don't know why this occurs and if it's only me that has problems. But here's the content of my post at Epicsoft's support forum:

Having installed Mule 1.5 and using it with LW 9.3 I wanted to see if the recurring problem with camera resolutions was still present. And yes it is! I'll try to explain a little better:

1) Selecting a scene setup in Lightwave 9.3 for PAL D1 Widescreen (720x576) and loading it into Mule gives me a resolution of 720x580.
2) If I try to correct this by selecting a different resolution in Muleserver with the drop-down box I try PAL D1 Widescreen. Now the resolution is 7200x5760! And I cannot change it back manually and all other resolutions are having the same problem.
3) All preset resolution get an additional '0' added to the resolution when selecting then making it totally unusable. And the lwsn.exe renders at this resolution. It's not just a GUI issue.

Please help!

My system running Muleserver/client:
Intel Quad Core E6600
4 GB RAM
WIndows Vista Ultimate 32-bit
Geforce 7950 GX2

Andyjaggy
11-01-2007, 04:18 PM
Yeah I got all excited when Mule 1.5 was announced.. was gearing up to buy it cos it would save me a heap of time with my renderfarm..
Then I install it and find I can't make it use fprime's WSN.exe instead of LWSN.exe ..
Deletion occurred.

Just rename WSN.exe to LWSN.exe. Should work.