PDA

View Full Version : Showreel rez ??

davie563
06-27-2007, 05:08 PM
Hi, im coming to the end of the development of my reel and i was just wondering what the ideal or most popular resolution for the movie should be.

I was going to render mine out at 720p but the render times per frames were pretty high, Just wondering what u guys would recommend as a safe res. Somthing that will look good on a PC monitor and running on a TV

Cheers :D

Stooch
06-27-2007, 05:47 PM
depends on the length of your reel. i like to make it as big as possible while remaining easy on the bandwidth. also if you make a reel that is annoyingly small, you are giving the impression that you are hiding things and is a dead giveaway if you are. there is no set size though.

davie563
06-28-2007, 05:19 AM
well i was thinking of going for somthing around the size of DVD rez. Can anyone tell me the exzact rez for widescreen DVD's ?

Im not sure if its 1024 or 768 pixels horizontal

Cheers

Steve Warner
06-28-2007, 02:58 PM
Widescreen DVDs are the same resolution as Standard DVDs. 720x480 for NTSC or 720x576 for PAL. The footage will look squished at that size, but when played back in 16x9 format it will regain the proper aspect ratio. Mind you, you'll need to set up the footage properly in your editing or DVD authoring program for this to work.

I would avoid 720p or 1080p as delivery formats at this time. Most computers aren't capable of playing back these formats and few people have HD/Blu-Ray players to play them on.

Extent
06-29-2007, 04:23 AM
Not just setting up the aspect in your editing app, but you've got to make sure you render your scenes anamorphic (1.2 PAR) or else it will be stretched out to 16x9.

For my short I'm rendering everything 720, and then down rezing for distribution, that way I can have full rez HD, full rez DVD, and half rez webvid versions all off one source. Kind of future proofing if you will.