PDA

View Full Version : Am I missing anything?

corpvid
06-27-2007, 12:57 PM
I'm putting together an equipment list for an Calzone Case mounted Tricaster Pro and would like to ensure that I have everything I need for sports production.
Here's my list- please let me know if anything is missing.
Thanks.

18 space Calzone case on casters, front and rear rails
Middle Atlantic power DA with light (15 amp with Surge Protection)
Middle Atlantic QFP cooling fan (2)
Raxxess Power DA (9 Outlets with surge protection)
Tricaster Pro
Tricaster VM
Samsung 19" LCD monitor
Porta-Com 4 station wired headset system
Mackie Mixer
ART Headphone Amp
Sennheiser Dual sided announcer headset (2)
JVC 17" Video Monitor
Stingers
VGA cable
XLR cable
BNC Cable

Thanks for the input.

Tarheel Cougar
06-27-2007, 03:13 PM
I'm putting together an equipment list for an Calzone Case mounted Tricaster Pro and would like to ensure that I have everything I need for sports production.
Here's my list- please let me know if anything is missing.
Thanks.

18 space Calzone case on casters, front and rear rails
Middle Atlantic power DA with light (15 amp with Surge Protection)
Middle Atlantic QFP cooling fan (2)
Raxxess Power DA (9 Outlets with surge protection)
Tricaster Pro
Tricaster VM
Samsung 19" LCD monitor
Porta-Com 4 station wired headset system
Mackie Mixer
ART Headphone Amp
Sennheiser Dual sided announcer headset (2)
JVC 17" Video Monitor
Stingers
VGA cable
XLR cable
BNC Cable

Thanks for the input.
Corpvid, looks lke you have most of the basics. Here's a few things you may want to consider, some of which may be beyond the scope of what you're looking for.

- Audio Snake -You may need a snake to reach to your talent unless you will be sitting next to them. Or unless they will mix their own audio and just send you one line back.
- Tape deck - DVD/DVCAM/Whatever. Do not rely on the Tricaster alone to record your output! You may want a second deck to use as replay.
- Stick mics (and flags) for talent standups, wraps, interviews - SM58 if you have the budget, otherwise Behringer makes very reasonable ones. Fox used to have the convention that they do not show announcers on camera with headsets.
- Wireless mic - for sideline reporter, ref, under the basket, etc.
- Shotgun mic - at least one, preferably two. Put it next to you if you have to. You need crowd noise so it won't sound dead. Everyone loves to hear the swish and squeaky shoes in basketball and the crunch in football. If your announcers have a radio background, they will know what to do.
- Folding tables and chairs for crew and talent
- Talent monitor - Crucial for your announcers to comment on what they see on the screen. Even if they are close to you, its best to give them their own. A small flat panel or 9' CRT work well.
- Cameras - Obvious, but what are you shooting with? Tripods?
- CD player - unless you rely on the Tricaster DDR, you will need something to play your bumpers, credit/intro music. Can be a discman, or even an Ipod. There are some good royalty free music cuts available.
- Portacom Program Box - This was crucial for us. We have one unit with a Portacom system and here's how we have it set up. We have all our cameras and director on channel B. The Talent alone hear channel A in their headsets, which usually contains nothing but program audio. Then, if the director wants to cue them, or any camera operator, replay operator, whatever needs to tell the talent whats ahead, they flip over to A and talk in the talent's ears. Works great for us.
- LOTS of gaffer's tape, tunnel tape, extension cords, rubber mats, reels
- Uninterruptable Power Supply (CRUCIAL at many of the stadiums we go to, plug your cameras into it if you can!)
- Unless your talent have the audio board in front of them, you may want to look at a cough drop (http://www.markertek.com/SearchProduct.asp?item=PRC%2DCDSO&off=0&sort=prod)to shut off their mics (a luxury). We have Clearcom announcer boxes with talkback in our truck.

Just off the top of my head. I'm sure I can come up with as many suggestions as you want, so feel free to contact me if you have any questions or I am not making sense. Good luck!

Jared Amos

corpvid
06-27-2007, 03:45 PM
Didn't want to state the obvious, so I left off stuff like mics and cameras/support. Hadn't thought about a cough drop or program box. I'll be using a laptop as a player and will record to a DVCam deck. Cams will run off of A/C but each will have a hot battery onboard as a back up.

PIZAZZ
06-27-2007, 06:03 PM
Boy this sounds familiar.... It is almost exactly the setup I am building in a trailer right now.

I would suggest the Production Intercom line of beltpacks and headsets over the PortaCom. We sell both but the PI stuff is hands down WAYYYY better. Biggest difference is the PI beltpacks can be daisy chained easily unlike the PortaCom.

I have so many suggestions to add but so little time right now. I will be glad to pipe in some input this weekend after I get this trailer project out of the way. What you are asking about is almost identical to the 6 systems we did for the NCAA's DII broadband initiative last fall.

Stay tuned or if you can't wait then give me a call at 409-860-9283

Tarheel Cougar
06-28-2007, 11:50 AM
corpvid, is there any area in particular where you think you might be missing something? Usually thats not something you learn until you're on the site of your first event, or on the road somewhere where you can't run back to the studio to get something! Its difficult to tell if you have "everything" without a complete list, but it sounds like you have things under control, but I'm happy to offer suggestions.

About the cough drop, apparently they renamed the momentary pause version to the "short stop" if you're interested. I believe when it cuts off the mic, it routes it to a second channel. If you have the right setup, you may be able to feed that back into your intercom system so the talent can talk back to the director off-air. Besides, no one loves to hear a good cough or throat clearing more than the crew!

Jef I haven't used PI intercoms, and when I investigated it a while ago, all they had were the one channel versions. We have a large Clearcom 4-channel system in our truck with the announcer consoles, complete system. In conjunction with the truck, or when we aren't using it, we use Portacom headsets and beltpacks interchangably with the Clearcom system (of course the packs only support one channel). We've split them the same way we split our Clearcom headsets with no trouble, but this is rarely an issue since most of the time all cameras have a home-run with their intercom alongside their video signal. We even swap headsets around and have several Portacom beltpacks with beyer headsets. On its own, the best part about Portacom is having two channels, and the program box. When you have a crew where the director has to monitor audio or the camera operators can take their cue from program audio, its very nice to be able to feed program down the intercom in a clean way so you don't have to change headsets or rig anything up. When your statistician or talent want to convey statistics to the CG operator during halftime while the director is covering the halftime show, the second channel lets you convey the information without talking over everyone else. For talent talkback, the second channel and program box eliminates needing a second headset or mic just to talk to talent. In my experience, that advantage has been essential.

Tarheel Cougar
06-28-2007, 12:00 PM
I since did a little bit of research into PI, I didn't realize they had a full line of stuff, including announcer consoles, that is very nice and would be an improvement over Portacom. I don't recall seeing this when we looked for intercoms a few years ago. Though a rack-mount size console for an announcer seems kind of unusual. How does the PI stuff compare in price to the Portacom?

ncsu1
06-28-2007, 12:37 PM
Jared, check your PM's ;)

Tarheel Cougar
06-28-2007, 12:58 PM
Jared, check your PM's ;)
Sorry, got distracted. I sent a response.

PIZAZZ
06-29-2007, 08:48 AM
I since did a little bit of research into PI, I didn't realize they had a full line of stuff, including announcer consoles, that is very nice and would be an improvement over Portacom. I don't recall seeing this when we looked for intercoms a few years ago. Though a rack-mount size console for an announcer seems kind of unusual. How does the PI stuff compare in price to the Portacom?

Much better pricing for what you get. Much better quality. Also good old Made in the USA. Their service is impeccable from both a user and a dealer standpoint.

For this trailer client we are finishing we are mounting the two Announcer boxes in a small 4U rack so that everything is all together. Headsets are in the rack and everything is prewired and ready to go. The connections to the trailer are 4 XLRs down a 6 channel snake. 1 channel for IFB to the talent, 1 channel for the talent to monitor the standard Com channel for the camera ops, and 2 channels for microphones to the trailer. 2 extra cables in the snake for well.... extra. :)

A couple things I like about the AS100 over the Studio Tech boxes are:
1. The AS100 will power a complete IFB setup by itself if need be.
2. It has ALL the functionality of a beltpack/wall station
3. BIGGEST of All -- It needs no power to operate if you have another power supply/base station on the com system.

PIZAZZ
06-29-2007, 08:51 AM
On its own, the best part about Portacom is having two channels, and the program box. When you have a crew where the director has to monitor audio or the camera operators can take their cue from program audio, its very nice to be able to feed program down the intercom in a clean way so you don't have to change headsets or rig anything up. When your statistician or talent want to convey statistics to the CG operator during halftime while the director is covering the halftime show, the second channel lets you convey the information without talking over everyone else. For talent talkback, the second channel and program box eliminates needing a second headset or mic just to talk to talent. In my experience, that advantage has been essential.

this functionality is exactly how we are setting up this trailer. Best thing is it is done without the expense of a big honking base station. ;)