PDA

View Full Version : Rounding an edge!

sean hargreaves
06-26-2007, 04:04 PM
Guys I'm killing myself here trying to get a rounded edge from a previously made 90 degree edge. I just want a bullnose edge. I chose the poly's I want to round and then I tried Edge Bevel, and when that was a chaotic result I tried the infamous Rounder. Nightmare! What, praytell is the solution, please? :bangwall:

Surrealist.
06-26-2007, 04:43 PM
It really depends on your intended geometry.

Both Edge Bevel and Rounder need to have closed faces at the end of the geometry you select.

Take a look here (http://www.lightwiki.com/Working_with_Rounder_and_Edge_Bevel) for an explanation.

If this does not help, post a screen grab of what you are trying to do.

Surrealist.
06-26-2007, 04:46 PM
Also one of the things not mentioned in that tutorial. With rounder, make sure to open the numeric panel and check if your values have become inverted (-). That can cause it to behave rather strangely since it is turning your geometry inside out.

sean hargreaves
06-26-2007, 06:43 PM
Thanks Surrealist, I'll take a look. I don't know why LW makes some things simple and other things that should seemingly be easy, hard!!??

Snosrap
06-26-2007, 07:37 PM
Here is quick tutorial on how to create a bullnose shape with Rounder. Probably a dozen other ways to make it as well with or without using rounder.

Cheers
Snosrap

Andyjaggy
06-26-2007, 08:28 PM
Post a screenshot, or better yet a download of the object. Rounder is a very very picky tool but is very useful once you get around all it's little quirks.

sean hargreaves
06-26-2007, 08:56 PM
Andy, how do you guys post screenshots? I mean, how do you GET the screenshot?

sean hargreaves
06-26-2007, 09:00 PM
Snosrap, thanks for the screenshot. My edge though, is 90 degrees AND the edge arcs. Nightmare! :grumpy:

Andyjaggy
06-26-2007, 09:07 PM
Print screen button. If you want a cool little app that will do it search for Gadwin print screen. Everytime you hit printscreen it will copy and save the screen to a destination folder with the options you select. Very cool.

Surrealist.
06-26-2007, 10:00 PM
Yeah, print screen basically puts it on the clipboard. From there you can just past it into PS or other program, crop it etc. save as a gif or whatever.

And a 90 edge that arcs should not be a problem. Post a screen shot when you get a chance.

sean hargreaves
06-26-2007, 10:54 PM
Thanks guys, will do!

sean hargreaves
06-26-2007, 11:13 PM
Hi guys, I hope this works. I used Capture Me software to get the images.
They show the front and rear of the car (yes, I know, the poly's at the front are somewhat mangled).
The rear top edge is where I want a rounding. And the front intake rim as well.
Hope you can help EVEN more! :thumbsup:

Silkrooster
06-27-2007, 12:15 AM
Rounder will work a whole lot better if your edges match.
The way I see it you have a couple of options:
1) rework your edges to make sure they match
2) Create a curved object and boolean subtract it from your object. (may produce unexpected results)
The first option is really the better of the two as it will produce the cleanest mesh.
Silk

BloodQuest
06-27-2007, 12:37 AM
Sean:

Check your private messages.

Simon

scenicdave
06-27-2007, 02:11 AM
They show the front and rear of the car (yes, I know, the poly's at the front are somewhat mangled).

Hey Sean,
What you have here is a lesson. This will be the object that you learn how *not* to do it.

You have a lovely looking shape there, but there's no forethought on how you will finish it. The mesh is already so dense that boolean operations leave you with an hours cleanup. Rounding becomes a manual labour and it'll never ever do a good reflection.
I think you'll be tweaking points to finish this one.

I suggest rethinking your approach. Rebuild the shape specifically for this step, ie get the edge loops radiating from this *grill* area.

Or, maybe you could drop the whole piece in and make a piece of trim to cover the whole join; non-contiguous.

Or rebuild using subds and a million polys.
Rounder, however, won't help you here,
regards
Dave Tracey
Sydney

scenicdave
06-27-2007, 02:17 AM
Oh, one other option; you can sometimes build the 'round' into the booleaning object, so that when you do the cut, it's already got the smoothly rounding polys. It still means manual cleanup and eventual trouble with specs and reflections, but it might help you out of a spot.
regards
Dave Tracey
Sydney

Surrealist.
06-27-2007, 02:37 AM

Cool car you have got going there man.

You have definitely gone down a road where rounder is going to be a pain. Basically from what I can see you have been approaching with boolean operations and you have painted yourself in kind of a corner. Silk is right in terms of salvaging this model.

You might also try adding to it to give roundness with Multishift that would have a much better chance of working. Basically like putting a series of three or four bevels inset.

But if you are looking to do stuff at the quality I can see you are capable of I would say look at using splines, or better, subivision surfaces - as mentioned.

There are a few car modeling tutorials out there as well, but I think the boolean approach is going to leave you frustrated.

Best of luck with it and if you need any help with sub D, I'd be glad to.

I finished up a tutorial on it over at www.lightwiki.com "The fundamentals of Subpatch Modeling." You may find it useful.

Andyjaggy
06-27-2007, 06:48 AM
ean but if you try to use rounder on that object your going to run into some serious trouble.

As a general rule avoid booleans whenever possible. They can be extremely usefull but you have to know how, when, and where to use them, otherwise they create a complete mess of your object and make it near impossible to work with after you perform the boolean operation.

For something smooth and mechanical like a car I would highly suggest learning about splines and subdivision modeling. Google the car tutorial by Lewis, that will help get you started. Or if you want to spend some money Kurv studios has an excellent car DVD that will save you months of learning on your own. Good luck!

munky
06-27-2007, 07:39 AM
Hi Sean,

the guys are right the brutal truth is that you will have to learn how to spline and sub patch model!

http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials%20/modelling_basics.htm

the above link has lots of links to modelling tutorials

hope this is of help

regards

Paul

liking your work on your website btw :)

Andyjaggy
06-27-2007, 08:01 AM
I mean if you really wanted to you could make this work but it would end up taking more time and work then just starting over and doing it right to begin with. You could select the vertical front faces and then using multishift extend them and bevel them down, and then do it again. Can't say how well it will look though. You could go in and manually merge the points along the edge so you have continuous lines. You could also do as Dave said and select the points along the edge and then create a peice of geometry from them and lay it on top of the model, kind of like a chrome lining or something.

munky
06-27-2007, 08:57 AM
Hello again,

below is a really quick example (I'm no modeller) of how it might look as a subpatch model.

much fewer polys!

regards

Paul

sean hargreaves
06-27-2007, 11:11 AM
Yeah, thanks guys. My problem is I boolean model a lot. And I actually hav'nt got into bad problems until this car. The work I do is ground-up design so I can get away with a lot of bad habits. I really appreciate all your help and suggestions, which I will use of course.
I decided that there is no getting to what I want to get to with the car in terms of the bits I want rounded, but I am proceeding and bailing myself out with smoke and mirrors. I'll post the finished result hopefully today.

Thanks again, :thumbsup:

Sean