PDA

View Full Version : When, oh when....

ben martin
06-26-2007, 05:23 AM
When, oh when would we (Lightwavers) be able to use such straight RIG in Lightwave?

http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=710463

prospector
06-26-2007, 06:00 AM
you can now.
Alls I saw were
section 1 > morphs
section 2 > IK Bones
section 3 > IKB

and all can be used together to animate in LW

ben martin
06-26-2007, 07:11 AM
Really?
I must dig more info about such back to the LW manual reading! :hey:

cresshead
06-26-2007, 07:39 AM
http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?ei=UTF-8&gid=890791&vid=650915&b=1

his other rig looks really nice too, seems he's using xsi by the looks of it.

greent
06-26-2007, 10:50 AM
you can now.
Alls I saw were
section 1 > morphs
section 2 > IK Bones
section 3 > IKB

and all can be used together to animate in LW

you can, but not quite elegant like in this vid.

Sil3
06-26-2007, 11:16 AM
Lattices... in Layout OF COURSE and the Streching and Squashing part would be done.

Im not seeing where IK Booster enters in here... all I see in the video are Strech and Squash, Muscle Bones (for the Legs) or similar and then a good parenting hierarchy.

SplineGod
06-26-2007, 12:23 PM
Totally doable in LW. Heres a quick example:
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/ikb_stretchy_rig.mov

Its definately easier to do using IKBoost.

prospector
06-26-2007, 01:26 PM
Im not seeing where IK Booster enters in here

I see it where the little controllers ar giving rotation views towards the end.

prospector
06-26-2007, 01:27 PM
you can, but not quite elegant like in this vid.

depends on how it's planned out.

evenflcw
06-26-2007, 07:20 PM
Definitely more elegant and better looking in the xsi vids than in Splinegods vid. Sorry man, just calling it as I see it. I'd agree though that most of the squash and stretch could definitely be done in LW. However, depending on what else you want on the rig, you might have to jump through some (more) hoops or just plain give up. Cause some things LW simply can't do (at the same time).

Splinegod, isn't the actual squash and stretch part built with and reliant on non-IKB features? For example, aren't you still using expressions or a motion modifier to prevent the bone scaling from propagating down the hierarchy? You're just using IKB controllers/features to drive the squash and stretch, no?

SplineGod
06-26-2007, 08:12 PM
I have no idea how long it took to setup that rig in XSI. What I did was done very quickly but pretty painless. :)
I dont judge it on whether its a non IKB feature or not but rather something that can be done with LWs native toolset regardless of what it is. In this case I used a muscle bone plugin as well as IKB. Theres several different ways this could be setup and each would not cause scaling or stretching of bones to propogate to the children. Setting up my little demonstration was pretty quick and painless. :)

I also used the same idea to quickly setup this little proof of concept:
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/face_rig.mov

The nice thing about using IKB to do these things is the ability to save poses/motions on whole or partial rigs and reuse them.

Surrealist.
06-26-2007, 10:19 PM
Couple of great demos Larry. Thanks. :)

voriax
06-27-2007, 02:21 AM
Is it just me, or does it seem like Larry has a video for every occasion?

v1u1ant
06-27-2007, 04:03 AM
he also has an occasion for every video......

Sil3
06-27-2007, 04:23 AM
I see it where the little controllers ar giving rotation views towards the end.

What?

I saw the video again and tryed to "see" what you are saying but to me that is a simple Parenting driven Rotation/Translation.

It can be a "parenting" made with Pose Constraints (pretty much like a regular parent) of course where you can define if the Child object will inherit everything or only the Scaling or the Rotation ot the Translation, and yes this can be animated over time as well...so..still not seing where IK Booster will enter in here...but XSI doesnt have such a tool (not needed to be straight honest)

SplineGod
06-27-2007, 09:59 PM
Is it just me, or does it seem like Larry has a video for every occasion?

I try, believe me :)